Community
Search
Notices
RC Car Radio Equipment Discuss specific topics related to RC car radios. For general or non rc car specific radio topics please see our regular radio discussion forum.

Power Capacitor in a Nitro

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 08:57 PM
aer-wubby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Capacitor in a Nitro

Is it safe to do this? I was thinking it shouldn't be too bad.. In case the receiver needs the extra juice to ie power the failsafe if the battery were to drain, or just extra power when needed, period.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:05 PM
KamikazeParanoia

Default RE: Power Capacitor in a Nitro

come on guys, this is an amazing idea! if we could have a capacitor to turn the throttle servo back to neutral if the battery wire was to get disconnected?
Old 06-07-2008, 06:51 PM
SAVAGEJIM

I am not sure, but I think if you do not calculate your capacitance correctly, you could blow the RX and other electronics from the impulse of the capacitors discharging. (I do not know what kind of surge RC electronics can take and what kind of surges are produced from whatever microfareds of capacitance).
Old 06-10-2008, 10:07 PM
hands without shadows

I connected a random cap to a servo plug ages ago. It smoothed out hard takeoffs.
Old 06-17-2008, 06:33 AM
ahr43

[link]http://www.shopatron.com/product/product_id=NOV5626/135.0[/link]

I use one of these on the receiver of my Top Fuel Electric Dragster.

In the words of Novak Tech, "It helps keep the Rx "awake" when the BEC from the ESC [Controller on my HV 4.5] dips under acceleration."

Last season, with a similar set up, the car needed a seperate receiver pack. Using the 'Glitch Buster' concept, haven't needed a seperate pack this season. However, all my car's runs are 2sec or less. Not sure if the cap will re-charge enough to keep 6vdc at the receiver once the receiver pack gets low.
Old 06-17-2008, 07:23 AM
Osirisf16

You will need a big capacitor for the extra power which you can't put in your receiver box. If you make mistakely connect the capacitor in opposite, that capacitor will blow up for sure since i have expirement it a month ago and it wasn't pretty. Just put a bigger capacity battery or change technology for example NiMH since their capacity-mass is excellent. Do not do crazy thinks without know what are you doing EXACTLY, will ya? Find an expert on electronics or something. Good luck, but it wont work.