Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Boaters in East Tenn/Western NC?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Boaters in East Tenn/Western NC?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 09:24 PM
Paul M

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boaters in East Tenn/Western NC?

Anyone in this area got a club or group running together? I live about 2 hours from Knoxville and about the same from Ashville NC

Going to the lake alone is really getting old

THANKS!!
Old 05-08-2007, 11:02 PM
Rollin20z

Default RE: Boaters in East Tenn/Western NC?

hey Paul,
Where is Kingsport in reference to say Sevierville /Pigeon Forge? I would like to know about any clubs or racing around this area. I'm on Douglas lake but not really as much fun running by yourself as it is with a couple buddies you know? LMK maybe we can getem wet sometime.
Bill
Old 05-09-2007, 08:55 AM
Paul M

Hi Bill,

Kingsport is about 1.5 hours east of Sevierville down toward Bristol on 40/81. Where is Douglas lake? My spot is not ideal but works.
Old 05-09-2007, 11:24 AM
Rollin20z

Hey Paul,
It is about 20 miles east of knoxville I'd say, you know where 40 & 81 split? Well if you take 40 to Asheville it's that first bridge you go over, it's huge with like 555miles of shoreline . i live on southern end right up from the Douglas Lake Dam on the first finger off the main lake. I go about 100 yards down my front yard and my feet are wet . And what is sorta cool is that in the winter when they drain down the lake to keep the water level up downstream my water disappears, gone ,dry[X(] and you can 4 wheel or do whatever where there was 10-15 ft of water a few weeks before. And you also get to know what you got down there , which is nothing . Gradual drop off for about 20-30 yards and then completely flat at least a 1/4 mile across to other side. So even if you sink one it's not hard to retrieve(as long as you keep a good idea where it went down) Oh if you look on google maps at say sevierville the lake is the one between sevierville/jefferson city/newport the squiggly one that goes across rt 40 and i would be right above the first L in sevierville almost right in the inside corner of the L.
BTW What do you run? race/fun/nitro/gas/cat/vee/hydro? LMK maybe we can meet up sometime and get some boats wet[8D]
Bill
Old 05-09-2007, 05:39 PM
Believe It
Banned

not sure how far from jackson you are, but they got a club there..

http://clubs.intlwaters.com/jacksonrcmb/

i know theres also a club that runs in chatt., but only electrics []

i feel your pain though, i have nobody to run with up here either... gets a bit boring running at the lake myself. Im about 2 hours or so myself from Knoxville.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:38 PM
Paul M

I'm too far from Jackson and chattanooga. Believe it, sounds like you live the same distance from Knoxville as I do but in the other direction.

Bill, I'd love to get together with you guys. I just sold a drag boat on ebay. Right now I have an Expresscraft Thunderbolt catamaran. It is not together yet. I am waiting for a Venom 260 and a prop before I start.
But shouldn't take long to get it together. Probably some time next month.

My spot isn't bad, but the access is terrible and where you stand on the bank is set back in a little cove so it is hard to see your boat unless you make short passes. The good part is it's about 10 mins from the house. It's part of a state park so there is always the threat of someone whining.

If you guys would like to get together. I'm all for it, just say the word. I have'nt shot or stabbed anyone in a long time Just kidding!!!

Really though Bill sounds like you got a great spot and while it's a little bit of a haul, but not bad. I'd say about 70 miles for me. It would be worth it to run with others.

Thanks for the response.
Old 05-10-2007, 04:45 AM
Believe It
Banned

ORIGINAL: Paul M

I'm too far from Jackson and chattanooga. Believe it, sounds like you live the same distance from Knoxville as I do but in the other direction.
yea, im at pretty much the top of GA, right near the TN and NC borders.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:26 AM
Rollin20z

Hey Paul,
Yeah , that sounds good. Maybe when you get something going maybe we can hook up and run somewhere sometime. I know there is cherokee lake a little closer to you but I have no idea where to go. And it's a big lake also. But maybe I can run up there one day and check yours out and or you can run down here and check it out, besides almost anywhere you go around here ends up being 50-70 miles it seems.[] I know just for me to run to Hobbytown if I need something it is 65 miles one way thru knoxville traffic, which I grew up around DC so traffic isn't a biggy but it just seems like a road trip to go anywhere and there aren't any hobby shops any closer(well a couple closet ones but they have like 1 wall with airplane stuff) I mean I would rather support my LHS but you can't when there are none and the ones that are don't have anything you need. But yeah I got a few boats (well actually quite a few) but most of them are hulls here , engines there & hardware hanging on the wall if you know what I mean Mostly big fun/sport boats , couple small could be racers , couple nitro riggers(just bought a Bonnano gas rigger w/QD should be here tomorrow and that should be a blast, from what i have been told and seen should be around low to mid 70's. I also got a few small nitro hydros i probably gonna sell if you know anyone interested(2-Miss Buds w/.15, 2-Miss Vegas's w/.18 1-NIB 1- run maybe 1/2 gallon incl. break-in & 1-Miss Llumar w/.15) T Maxx stuff & 4 tec stuff RTR's and parts for sale also. If you know anyone give me a call 865-566-2602 , heck give me a call and we can shoot the bull about running some boats.

And Believe It LMK and maybe we all get together sometime somewhere and run some boats. I know it sucks running by yourself, believe me I can throw a rock off my front porch and hit water and have only been down w/boats a coupel times so far this year[]

Bill
Old 05-10-2007, 04:11 PM
Believe It
Banned

ORIGINAL: Rollin20z
And Believe It LMK and maybe we all get together sometime somewhere and run some boats. I know it sucks running by yourself, believe me I can throw a rock off my front porch and hit water and have only been down w/boats a coupel times so far this year[]

Bill

no doubt, just let me know a date in advance and ill be there. I already drive close to 2 hours to go race in atlanta, so dont mind driving a little bit of distance if i get to run with other boats and shoot the **** with someone other then myself at the lake [X(] LOL
Old 05-10-2007, 06:01 PM
Paul M

Bill/Believe it,

I got my Venom today. Should be able to get started this weekend on the Thunderbolt IF my wife finishes the table we're working on

Bill, I'll drop you a line soon and we can arrange something with Believe it one Sat/Sun at your place if your still up for it. In the mean time my cell is 423-534-8546. Call any time
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73569.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	681684  
Old 05-11-2007, 10:46 AM
Rollin20z

Paul,
That thunderbolt looks great sitting there. Is that your boat? That the lake where you run? If so that'll be a pretty sweet piece when you get it done. [8D] Yeah I'm up for meeting up here and running some, might actually give me the get-up I neded to start building some of the others I have sitting collecting dust[] I still have to get a retrieval boat cause right now I'm still using the ole fishing pole technique but hopefully I will have something soon! The next couple weeks the wife is on vacation so you know they are pretty much taken but after that I would say anytime would be good with me.
Bill
Old 05-11-2007, 11:56 AM
Believe It
Banned

sounds good.... mapquest says its about 160 miles to sevierville. Easy route... 64 to 75 to 40. Any saturday works for me.

good qaulity pvc (like a coleman) blow up raft with a set of oars works great... thats what i use. Got a coleman quickpump thats rechargable that blows it up in less then a minute [8D] (llittle over 5ft)
Old 05-11-2007, 07:46 PM
Paul M

Yes, that's my boat. I got it from XXX Boatworks. It is painted. I just have to drill and install hardware, radio, engine etc. I'm waiting on a couple more things from Rocket City but will try to start this weekend. As soon as I get it ready, I'll let you guys know. Saturdays are good for me as well.

Unfortunately that is not my lake. That pic was taken by the guy I bought it from. Man I wish my spot was that sweet.

I have a good retrieval boat which might give the fishing rod and the oars a little break
Here's a pic:
http://image.rcuniverse.com/forum/up...99/Om33905.jpg