Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

New house - my own room

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

New house - my own room

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2003, 10:33 PM
Bob Payne
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New house - my own room

I'm buying a new house and we dont need the 5th bedroom so wife says its my airplane room, so i dont clutter up the house.
its about 15'' x 15 - 20' i'm looking for ideas to outfit it
lets see some pics of your shops.?
to give me some ideas

Thanks

also if you have photo's that are too large for RCU email them to me at [email protected]

again thanks a bunch.
Old 02-25-2003, 11:40 PM
BECKERFLY

bob, congrats and what an understanding wife you have. i live in an apartment and have a plane hanging from the ceiling(aka hobby shop style) and a wall rack courtesy of home depot with 4 fuses on lower part and the wings spanning the upper portion, if you have extra wall space cover with aircraft posters etc. dot forget a corner to build in. best wishes for your new digs.
Old 02-26-2003, 12:27 AM
CafeenMan

LIGHTING! Buy several flourescent fixtures and make sure they are set up so that you are not in between them and whatever you are working on.

15 x 15 is a good size, but it will fill up quickly. I hope you don't have to store your planes in there or you're out of space already.

I have a 10 x 30 shop and my main bench is a 4' x 8' x 1/2" thick piece of tempered glass. Not much room left after that. I set it up in the middle of the floor so I can work on all sides of the table.

Also, put all your shelves on one wall or adjacent walls. If you put them on opposite walls, then you lose a lot of space.

It's nice that you'll have built in climate control too. But you'll probably have to go outside to do major sanding or the dust WILL be all over the house no matter how much you try to contain it.

Lastly, don't make anything permanent. After you work in your new shop for a while, you'll want to change things around a bit to make it more efficient.
Old 02-26-2003, 02:51 AM
Bob Payne

not that many planes right now, I tend to lean towards, DDusts, wonders, shrikes, I do have a Patriot Arf and Hanger 9's p51,
Think i will wait till after the move to complete the p51.,

Also room already has 2 Floresent Light fixture 1 on each end, well maybe toward the middle a little, also have big picture type window. i plan on putting building table there, good breeze (CA Fumes you know) .
it will be nice to be able to go outside and run engine's in instaed of driving 20 miles to the field, now i can fly at the field instead of tuning and working. yea yea.

Thanks everyone so far
Old 02-26-2003, 02:56 AM
Bob Payne

Originally posted by BECKERFLY
bob, congrats and what an understanding wife you have. best wishes for your new digs.
not as much understanding as she will be glad to have her kitchen table and surroundings back.
I 2 live in an apartment,
i have a pretty good sized closet now, that i have my DDust and Shrike hanging on walls and patriot leans against my suits, gotta keep it cushioned, wonder on top of kitchen cabinet, i got every thing everywhere.

Thanks
Old 02-26-2003, 05:09 PM
cwat212

I was shoved into the garage.....

I still get grief for not keeping it neat. Go figure. I have plenty of room though.
Old 02-26-2003, 05:53 PM
Jim_McIntyre

invest in a vacuum system for your power tools... consider soundproof insulation and an intercom with "intermittent faults".
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	58597_6878.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	36343  
Old 02-26-2003, 06:12 PM
mulligan

I suggest knocking out a wall and moving it to steal some room from a neighboring room, perhaps the master bedroom walk-in closet.

- George
Old 02-26-2003, 10:46 PM
Bob Payne

Originally posted by mulligan
I suggest knocking out a wall and moving it to steal some room from a neighboring room, perhaps the master bedroom walk-in closet.

- George
well my oldest daughter 13 has the bedroom next to this so
i guess if i run outa room about the time she leaves home
i could knock that wall down and be 2x's as big.
Old 02-27-2003, 12:05 AM
heavy date-RCU

Congrts on the house!
We too just moved a few months ago, and I got a 25X15' heated garage out of the deal. I think there is a house there as well, have not really noticed yet!

My shop is filling up fast with a drafting table, Smithy metal tool, and a 4X8'X1/2" glass table. I need a place to store built planes while working on new models!
If I had a 100X100' shop, I would still run out of room!!!
Here's a shot of my messy shop.
Hans

Name:	58677_5685.jpg
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	36344  
Old 02-27-2003, 12:09 AM
heavy date-RCU

Here's another so you can see what's on the table!
Hans

Name:	58678_5685.jpg
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	36345  
Old 02-27-2003, 04:08 AM
ufdfireman

Hey BECKERFLY....

You wouldnt happen to have a pic of that wall rack would you?
Old 02-27-2003, 01:09 PM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hans,
Love that Smithy sitting in the back. Planing on doing that next year. Just bought a sheet metal bending brake and shear to make a hinge box for an F-14 a freind is designing.
Its true, no matter what size your shop is, you will still run out of room. I moved all the trucks out of the garage. Now I will have a 28' x 36' shop. It is roomier to work on several projects at once, 3 active on the tables right now and 2 in the wings waiting for finish work.
Edwin
Old 02-27-2003, 03:37 PM
heavy date-RCU

Edwin,
The Smithy is a real life saver at times. On scale stuff there are many parts that you just can't buy so I make them myself. Made most of the retract parts for my J2F Duck. The A arms were a bit above my skill range and a friend is making them on his CNC set-up. I plan on adding CNC to mine next year. It is about $3500.00 for the upgrade so it may be longer than next year.

My friend just bought a house with an 8 car garage! The old owner had an antique limo service and stored the cars there. I almost cried when I saw the place. Talk about working room! The garage is as big if not bigger than the house.
Hans
Old 02-28-2003, 01:01 AM
Edwin

Thats exactly what I want to do. The market is cryin for a good 60 sized corsair retract. I can also build up some bennies with the company I work for. I'm a prototyper in a test engineering group at HP. If I dont have the tool (bit) at home, I'll do the work for the price of the bit, maybe! Could work! Hope so!
Edwin
Old 02-28-2003, 11:08 PM
mikenlapaz

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Congrads...
I have a wheel chair in the shop and it saves alot of up and down between tables and benches. Also they save a lot of bending over unless your benches are a decent working height. Smile sure, they are cheap second-hand and well designed and strong.

Drafting table with adjustable height and a good hooded light to mount on it. That outside wall next to window, maybe a corner cabinet/countertop like in the kitchen with a carolsel under the counter top, no door.

mikenlapaz '1000 miles to LHS & Home Depot'
Old 03-01-2003, 05:17 AM
hydroguy

Hey guys on the subject of work shops... I have one in the basement and want to paint my boats in it. There is a small window that I plan to take out and replace with plywood. This way I can cut a hole in it and install a fan to vent out the fumes. Has any one tried this before? Do you think a good sized bath fan will have enough suction? The room is 12 X 14 and I think the fan is around 400 CFM. My only other option is to paint in my dusty, poorly lit, un-heated garage! What do you think?
Old 03-01-2003, 01:26 PM
BigBird1
My Feedback: (4)

One other suggestion Bob..go to home supply and invest in a cheepie bathroom fan, leave off the cover and make a box for a 12x12x1 filter....hang on the cealing above workbench with the outlet blowing in the room and you would be supprised how much dust it'll collect...(wife loved it..)now about the balsa chips on the floor from the hobby room to the bathroom...anyone have suggestions..
Old 03-01-2003, 03:46 PM
Edwin

Add shelac, eventually it builds up a cusion floor. Actually, I use a shop vac when I do big sanding jobs and about once a month. When you drop a little screw, its pretty much history unless your vision is really good.
Edwin
Old 03-24-2003, 07:08 PM
Jim_McIntyre

Hey 'hydroguy'

I use a fan unit from an old oil furnace. I also use the filters from the furnace to trap paint (to keep it from running down the outside of the wall and colouring the neighbours tree rolleyes: )
Old 03-24-2003, 07:24 PM
smchale
My Feedback: (67)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Big bird, to keep those balsa chips that are on the floor in the hanger and not tracked through the house i have an old pair of flip-flops i wear in the hanger. when i reach the door i take them off...when i return i put them back on. this does a decent job of keeping stuff in the work shop.

Another suggestion when setting up a work shop is to keep all your clean finished planes in another room or a closed off storage area. Dust and overspray etc gravitate to nice clean models.
Old 03-24-2003, 08:58 PM
Jim_McIntyre

My wife makes me wear a shopcoat and shoes that stay in the shop.

That's ok, I get to dictate what she wears elsewhere.
Old 03-24-2003, 10:05 PM
BigBird1
My Feedback: (4)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by smchale
[B]Big bird, to keep those balsa chips that are on the floor in the hanger and not tracked through the house i have an old pair of flip-flops i wear in the hanger. when i reach the door i take them off...when i return i put them back on. this does a decent job of keeping stuff in the work shop.

Welllll....I invested in a coco mat that stays just in front of the door to the hobby room....works for me...she's happy...

Another suggestion when setting up a work shop is to keep all your clean finished planes in another room or a closed off storage area. Dust and overspray etc gravitate to nice clean models.

We live in a older house....built in 1935...700sqft..total floor space...two bedroom and she won't give up the living room for storage...(Don't know why)... I have been known to be sanding on a wing and tickeling her feet whilst she's in bed....

All in all she's a wonderful wife....But IF she only knew hooooow much I've spent here at RCU in the last few monts...
Old 04-24-2003, 12:10 AM
Blackie

Default Did some one say work shop?

I just got through building a 12' X 16' in the back yard for mine. I have pics and plan on putting together a web site but for now I will give a single sample of what I have. I am now trying to figure out what kind of rack to build for those on the floor, rahter it be hung from cieling or up against the wall. I still plan on building a work table on casters as well. As you can see I just got though moving into it this eve. Now I can have my puny 10' X 10' spare bedroom for an office again.

Hey Jim those look like arfs in your shop! *evil grin*

Blackie

Name:	73210_3846.jpg
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	36346  
Old 04-24-2003, 12:16 AM
Blackie

Heres another shot of the shop

Name:	73217_3846.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	36347  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.