Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Ever wanted a chrome prop

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Ever wanted a chrome prop

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2003, 04:28 AM
cublover
My Feedback: (47)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ever wanted a chrome prop

(this is for plastic prop's(master airscrew, APC, ect) First clean prop and balance. removing all the factory paint including the brand name, I use paint thinner. once this is done use monokote trim sheet and cover the FRONT of the blades only.(the prop wont tach from the front anymore you will have to get a tach reading from the rear, safer anyway) streach the covering around the curve of the blades and pull it down near the hub.(Chances are, you are going to use a spinner of some sort)cut the extra off, using a #11 blade. Careful not to cut into the blades. once this is done, sand the edges of with 420 or better grit sandpaper,so as the edges are not flop'n in the wind. Install as normal and go to the field...wait till the guys see your new prop... this will take some serious punishment as well...if you trimmed it right and no trim is sticking out...this will last as long as your prop...it has been tested and it works well....give it a shot,, you wont be dissapointed..want to see mine...check out the purple haze photo,in photos under airplanes
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	58490_8646.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	36390  
Old 02-26-2003, 04:31 AM
cublover

Default Chrome prop's

and here is my beaver
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	58493_8646.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	36391  
Old 02-26-2003, 04:36 AM
Warby
My Feedback: (69)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chrome

Will it stay on, or is this a static display prop only?
Old 02-26-2003, 04:53 AM
cublover

Default Chrome prop's

I spin mine at 9400 rpm... it also makes mention that you will have to tach from the back of the prop....so an answer to your ?, is that it could be used for either...Rod
Old 02-26-2003, 06:34 AM
nashtm

Default Haze

Hey CubLover that is a very nice colour scheme
on your Haze - please tell us about it

regards
Tim
South Africa
Old 02-26-2003, 03:26 PM
Mustang51
My Feedback: (25)

Why would you go through all that ?
Monokote won't hold up to the stress of being on a prop...for long(let alone a nylon one).
You lose one piece of it off of the prop and it could be terminal(critically out of balance).
Why would you not just use a wooden prop and spray paint it with chrome (or silver)paint?

-Mustang51
Old 02-27-2003, 02:15 AM
CafeenMan

Mustang51 - I've painted a few props with whatever paint I had handy and it's worked out well. While the chrome trim covering may look good, I would definitely consider it a safety hazard.

I'm not sure what I want on my tombstone, but I know it's not this:

"Killed by a cellophane wrapper."
Old 02-27-2003, 03:32 AM
cublover

well bud,,,i have at least a doz flights on it and i have Not had a problem....it will NOT come off ...PS,,, i have done it for years...and never had a prop out of balance either...try it,,,what have you got to loose..and by the way....if you spray a prop,,,do you weigh the paint thats applied??? think about it...chrome trim look better than paint...you dont have to do it...but it does work...if you want that kind of prop...
Old 02-27-2003, 03:37 AM
cublover

the haze,,,nashtm,,,is covered in sig coverall,,,then nitrate and then ,,,the best thing to come into my hands,,,about 5 coats of sprayed polycylic. This gives the covering the METAL look and primed it with auto primer and sanded...then sprayed with a air brush...all graphics are done with paint...thanks for the interest...Rod
Old 02-27-2003, 04:30 PM
jettstarblue

Rod,

Bravo, I have done this, but only to the "leading edge" of the prop, on wooden props to get that scale look of the metal protective edge on U/L wooden props. I spray a coat of clear on them, then re-balance, and have NEVER had a problem. They seem to last longer too.

Jetts
Old 02-27-2003, 07:10 PM
klhoard
My Feedback: (10)

Default Re: Chrome prop's

Originally posted by cublover
and here is my beaver

Nice beaver shot.

(Sorry guys, I thought about this one for a good ten minutes, couldn't pass it up!!)
Old 03-04-2003, 09:11 PM
JD GRAY

yeah,
i have this guy that flys at our club and he covers his props in that junk (LOL). I dint knowq what he is thinking, but I guess when you only fly for 2 mins at a time it does not matter what is on your prop.
sorry Rad just bakning on ya (LOL).

I need to get with ya and fox that cowl when you have time. shoot me an e-mail at [email protected] and let me know when you are up for it, i will bring over the beer.

r/
~JD~
Old 03-04-2003, 11:17 PM
pilotrc

Default Chrome Prop

I saw a chrome prop the other day. Guy used clear varnish. Let it dry beyond tack, then rubbed chrome powder into the finish with his finger. IT was beautiful....The prop is wood. I think it will work on all props since yhe finish is what makes the finish...Jim
Old 03-05-2003, 07:31 PM
mulligan

Wow, Jim, that sounds like a great idea. Any chance you can get a pic of that prop?

- George
Old 03-05-2003, 09:20 PM
pilotrc

Default Chrome Prop

George; It was on a plane at the JR CHALLENGE we just hosted here in Punta Gorda.The explanation I gave is about all the guy gave me...Easy? sounded that way.. Jim