Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

New to gas....

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 12:17 PM
bjb6723

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to gas....

Hello,
I am new to Gas engines. I have been flying glow for years, but I have decided to go to larger planes and want to try gas. I have a RC Guys Pitts that they say requires a 25 to 40cc gas engine. I was looking at getting either a G36 or the Fuji BT43EI. How are these engines as far as quality? Does anyone have any other ideas for other engines? Also, what else will I need to know to set up my plane for gas? I thank you for any input!!!
Old 05-17-2007, 12:53 PM
bobzilla
My Feedback: (63)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: New to gas....

NO to fuji..a member at our field just returned a 43 (crank snapped on 2nd run) and a 50 back to Tower for his money back.
He opted for the DA-50..even though slightly more money, it is lite, powerful, and great service..and finally
you can always expect a great resale value. Other will chime in with other small gas solutions here, you can count on it!

just my 2 cents

Bobzilla

as far as other things you should know...

1. Learn how to break in a gas engine. Proper oil(s) for breakin and after breakin with percentages. Each manufactures has different specs.
2. Engines without Electronic ignition (magneto) can kickback and do serious damage to your fingers. If you do a magneto engine, please wear at least a heavy welders glove.
3. Gas is very explosive..treat it with car when transporting gas containers. Defuel your plane always.
4. Some gas engines with ignition of course require a battery...be aware of the size requirements 4 or 5 cell. Some ignitions cannot handle 5 cell. I alway insure a fully charged battery on igniton..it helps give a stronger spark and makes your engine smoother.
5. Make sure you use proper breakin prop size for engine breakin.. and run engine slight rich while breaking in. Learn how to read your plug.
6. Tuning a gas engine can be easy or hard..always start with your manufactures settings for both low and high needles.
7. Insure you use filters for your gas..small bits of dirt will easily clog your jets/passagways. There is a very fine mesh screen in almost every Walbro or Tillison carb and easy plugs. It is easy to get to to clean also. I use filters on refueler and also in line.
8. Look for help at your local flying field for any expertise on a particular engine..and also there are great areas here at RCU for many
of todays gas engine manufacturers.

Have fun..and enjoy.
P.S You will really enjoy the low cost of gas compared to nitro!!

Old 05-17-2007, 01:56 PM
bjb6723

Thanks for all the info Bob!
I have been reading about the DA 50 and it looks like a really good engine! I would prob get one of those, but the specs on the plane say the largest gas engine is a 40cc. Would a DA 50 be too much? Do you think I would have to do alot of re-enforcing to the airframe? If I could get away with I I would get one! :-)
Old 05-17-2007, 02:28 PM
bobzilla

If they speced a 40cc Fuji based on weight..then a DA-50 will be lighter..use light aluminum standoff. the RC Pitts is a 1/3 scale with lots of wing area..make sure you plan on putting some rather strong servos for all flight surfaces. (I prefer the HS5955TG titanium gear) TroyBuiltModels has excellent buy of this fantastic servo. the RC pitts is a great looking plane.
Here is a pic of my kit built MW pitts. Still hangin around waiting a good gas engine.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20471.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	686296  
Old 05-17-2007, 02:35 PM
bjb6723

Nice Pitts! RC Guys didn'c spec a "Fuji" engine, just a 26 to 40cc gasser. Do you think the DA would be too much? I am starting to lean towards a DA. . That should move it nicely!
Old 05-17-2007, 02:39 PM
Jake Ruddy
My Feedback: (40)

Other options would be a Brillelli 36 or Brillelli 46. Much cheaper than the DA and come with muffler up front. Scott is an awesome guy to deal with.

I have owned a 26, 2 46s, and a 60. All run great! Save yourself almost $300 go with the Brillelli 46 and you will have more than enough power and be lighter. http://www.brillelli.com/brillelli_002.htm
Old 05-17-2007, 02:47 PM
bjb6723

That is a very good point. DA's are a bit pricey. I will def look into these as well! Thanks!
Old 05-17-2007, 02:51 PM
Jake Ruddy

It's worth looking into DA makes a great engine... but you really don't need that much power on this plane and might as well save some money at the same time.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:34 PM
bobzilla

Your could possibly be out the outside limits of power with a DA. I am not familiar with the build of that bipe. Yes the Brillelli 36 would be a great alternative based on what I have read about, and even take a look at the new DA clone from China the DL50.
There is an RCU thread on this engine.
I just know one thing...you will not have any problems unloading a DA ever at your field or at RCU if you are not happy....
I see used ones selling at a premium. I have a new g-62 with new CH ignition..I can't GIVE it away!! If money is an issue, then certainly work with something you can afford. Lastly, some flyers have been picking up the 45cc engine that hobby people sells, when they had their last sale for $229. Although a couple had to be returned till they found one with in-tolerance crank, they seem to run ok. Hobby people does offer 100 percent satifaction guaranteed..so I think they plan on using that as an option if the engine does not work out. Fathers Day usually brings out great sales in many areas..an I usually buy my stuff then.

Bobz

Old 05-17-2007, 07:03 PM
bjb6723

Yeah, I am thinking the DA may be much. HAve you heard anything about the SPE engines? They seem pretty reasonably priced. I REALLY appreciate all of your input! Please keep it comming!
Old 05-17-2007, 09:44 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

I am surprised that you are having difficulty getting a good price for your G62. Is it the "Lite" version? I might be interested.

Ed Cregger
Old 05-17-2007, 10:02 PM
bobzilla

here was my ad for 2 weeks..The engine is quite nice..and I paid lots more than $425.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemID=275488

ad is expired..but I don't have a home for this engine..so it collects dust.

Old 05-18-2007, 05:38 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Actually the Brillelli 40 is a basic SPE 40 engine that has been extensively refined and improved by Brillelli.

Karol
Old 05-18-2007, 09:32 PM
bjb6723

I was looking at the BCMA engine. Looks like a nice engine at a great price. Any thoughts?
Old 05-18-2007, 10:12 PM
tomyrcmodels

BCMAENGINES will soon have 42CC , 52CC and 62CC engine . those are new BCMA-MT engine ,
Old 05-19-2007, 08:33 AM
bjb6723

BCMA makes a 40cc that would fit my Pitts perfect. Anyolne have experience with these?
Old 05-19-2007, 10:33 AM
mitchmcf

We have a few of the BCMA's at our field and all run very well I have a Thor 45cc and so far it runs Great.
Old 05-19-2007, 10:45 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Both the BCMA 40 and Brillelli 40 are derived from the SPE 40 engine, which has been completely reworked by both companies. So far user reports indicate that they are both excellent engines, backed by good customer service, especially from Scott at Brillelli.

Karol
Old 05-19-2007, 11:33 AM
Jake Ruddy

Brillelli doesn't sell that 40 anymore just so you know. They have the 36 rear exhuast and the 46. the 36 is as strong as the 40 was though