Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Attaching CJM retracts - 6-32 nylon bolts?

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Attaching CJM retracts - 6-32 nylon bolts?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2002, 11:45 PM
AndySteere
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Attaching CJM retracts - 6-32 nylon bolts?

What is the preferred method of attaching pneumatic retracts into a wing? I have a 60-size Top Flite P-47 and the Century Jet retracts made for that model. I was thinking about drilling and tapping 6-32 holes and using hard nylon bolts. Should I just use woodscrews instead?

The mounting blocks were beefed up by the original builder and now can't break away cleanly. My concern is the wood/sheetmetal screws attach the gear so firmly that a hard landing would damage the wing by tearing out ribs and sheeting along with the mounting blocks.

What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance! Pictures of my P-47 are on my website below.

Andy Steere
http://astro.umsystem.edu/andy/rc/
Old 02-21-2002, 03:03 AM
Vince
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A not so hard landing will rip out those nylon bolts real quick. Then the gear will fold up under the wing and do some real damage. Mount the gear with 6-32 screws into 6-32 blind nuts, and learn to land properly.

Vince
Old 02-21-2002, 06:50 AM
AndySteere

Thank you for your opinion and the suggestion... but the remark at the end was unnecessary.
Old 02-21-2002, 12:19 PM
Vince

The remark was not meant to be disrespectful. I am curently just starting to fly my new Bert Baker P47. I have about 7 flights on it total, only two good landings. I have been flying for almost 30 years, though I knew how to land. Warbirds are a different breed, they have to be landed just like a full scale plane. Sorry if you took my comment negativly, didn't mean it that way.

Vince
Old 02-21-2002, 04:26 PM
AndySteere

Thanks for the clarification! My apologies for reading it wrong. Even highly experienced pilots have less than perfect landings occasionally, regardless of how much time they have on a specific airplane. Stuff happens.

I don't want the gear to come out before they need to. I too have seen what happens when they do. Blind nuts will be a pain to get in now... but would allow the gear to be removed and reinstalled without worrying about what woodscrews do to wood.

I haven't heard much bad about the Top Flite P-47 in landing... other than the elevator is sensitive at low speeds. I've heard adding some expo to it may help. Your thoughts?

Andy
Old 02-21-2002, 06:49 PM
Vince

Expo always IMO helps, especially until you become familiar with the flying habits of the aircraft. I haven't heard the comments you expressed about the Top Flight P47. All that I have seen, fly exceptionally well with no bad habits. Perhaps the cg was a little too far rearward on the one you spoke of.

The nylon bolts is really a bad idea, as they have absolutely no shear strength. I can guarantee that however smooth your landing may be, they will shear. If you cannot get under the mounting rails to add blind nuts, you may have to do the following.

DuBro makes brass threaded inserts in various sizes that screw into the wood. Then you can insert the proper screw, and it is removable without damaging the threads. I would install these with either CA or epoxy.

Good luck
Vince
Old 02-21-2002, 08:34 PM
AndySteere

Steel bolts it is. I will try blind nuts first, I may be able to get them in there. If not, the threaded inserts are easy enough.

Thanks again!

Andy
Old 02-22-2002, 02:08 AM
Vince

Yer welcome Andy.

Vince