Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

3W 200 prop hub question?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 01:55 PM
aerothums

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3W 200 prop hub question?

Over a year ago I bought a new 200. I have not been able to make it run right. In the begining I spent 3 mnts. to get it to run. I figured out it was timing but had advanced the pickup as far as it would go on screws. I sent it to A.I. They told me the hub was incorrectly set on crank shaft. They reset it and sent it back. It ran better but not correct. There was a terrible lag as you advanced thottle. I richened low end till it wouldnt run or load up at idle and quit. I looked at where the pick up was @tdc on both my 150 and 140 in relation to magnet.The 200 was way off. (tdc mark was lined up on hub when engine was @tdc on 200). Over the next year I drilled new holes and slowly advanced timing each time a little better. I was scared to go all the way because I thought there might have been a reason it was so far back. I Have checked tdc mark on hub to tdc to make sure it wasnt moveing quit a few times and it was correct. This weekend I couldnt get it to run. It was back firing all the bad stuff. I had not done anything to it since afew good runs. I checked hub tdc it was way off.

I first pulled hub on 150 as a learning experiance.Then the 200 .The 200 has an insert in it that is split and the split is not perfectly lined with the key way. The key is not tall enough to go into the hub's keyway so this is not a problem but explains how hub can be set incorrectly on a brand new engine. I also noticed discoloration inside from compound used to assemble crankshaft to hub insert It seems to be thicker in some places then others. Now the question does any one know if there is a reason for insert or was it just a fix to use hub from differnt motor and now they machined correct hub. The only difference between 150 and 200 hub is 5mm to 6mm prop bolts and insert.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:39 PM
ghofferbert

Default RE: 3W 200 prop hub question?

Hey man, did you see this post? http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5868372/tm.htm I'd PM that guy, he seems to know what he's talking about. He even knows it's green locktite
Old 05-22-2007, 11:01 PM
G202PILOT

Default RE: 3W 200 prop hub question?

5mm bolt to 6mm bolt is not the only change, the hub now has a larger bolt pattern than the 150. You will need the new prop drill guide as well. Check with Cactus Aviation, I purchased my 200 from them as well as the new drill guide. You might also check your vent tube to be protected from cowl pressure, I had to run line into fuse. It will now rip a 32-12, will be changing to 32-13 3W carbon.