Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Repairing Nylon Pinned Hinges?

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Repairing Nylon Pinned Hinges?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 04:06 PM
splais
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Repairing Nylon Pinned Hinges?

I am renovating and upgrading a ten year old 1/3 scale Pup. One of the things I got to repair are the nylon hinges on the elevator that are coming unglued. I'm not sure of the best way to do this. I'm also not sure these are the hinges youcan take apart. Anyone had any experience with this and can give some suggestions. I guess the lucky way would be to be able to just pull them out when I get into it a little more. But if I can't do that - what next? I don't think trying to run CA into would be a good idea. thanks.
Old 05-20-2007, 06:14 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Repairing Nylon Pinned Hinges?

You can pin them with a toothpick a couple of times - that might help.
Old 05-20-2007, 06:49 PM
Crash Campbell

Hi splais,

My preference is to cut the hinges level with the surface and replace with Robart hinge points adjacent to the original mounting position. If you are into the "belts and braces" approach you may like to consider sealing the hinge line with a strip of covering once the hinge points are installed.

Cheers,

Colin
Old 05-24-2007, 05:53 AM
camdyson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Splais,

The ones that come apart have split-pin type pins in them - you push the pins in and splay the ends open - it's obvious if they are. Pinning hinges to surfaces with short lengths of kebab sticks isn't a bad suggestion. I drill through the bottom surface and the hinge (tape around drill bit so can't go through to top), insert stick and CA in, then cut flush. To hide, I cut circles out of covering material with a hole punch, then iron/dope on as appropriate.

That said, Colin's suggestion is probably quicker in your case

Cam
Old 05-25-2007, 08:22 AM
BillS

If the hinges were loose in the balsa I would simply use a short #1 self-taping screw through the balsa and the hinge. Often I use screws on one side of the hinge so the control can be removed for repair. There have never been any problems with a hinge coming loose.

Bill