Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Balancing a FEDA/HUMMINGBIRD

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Balancing a FEDA/HUMMINGBIRD

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2003, 01:45 PM
aussiechopchop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Balancing a FEDA/HUMMINGBIRD

G'day guys -- wow my first post !!!
I have just joined the ranks of E-Heli flying with my new FEDA -- I have seen some guys here talking about balancing blades etc etc and was wondering exactly what this entails. I dont see apart from physically altering the blades how this can be done?
I have a slight tracking problem -- one blade is a bit higher than the other while under power in my hand, how can this be corrected?
This is my first Heli and while I am fairly competant at fixed wings this thing is a whole new ( and very addictive, I predict) adventure.
Another issue I have is with the speed controller -- on spooling up it stays green then at just about take off speed it goes red and no further throttle is forthcoming? is this a battery issue-- not enough oomph? A few cycles on the NiMh's might help?
thanks for your time and hopefully great comments -- I am sure I'll be around for a bit
Old 02-27-2003, 02:40 PM
Wright Flyer

Default Re: Balancing a FEDA/HUMMINGBIRD

Originally posted by aussiechopchop
I dont see apart from physically altering the blades how this can be done?
Balncing involves exactly that - physically altering the blades. The way in which you alter them is to put a piece of tape on one blade to add weight until they balance. You can do this either statically or dynamically. To do it statically you really need a blade balancer. Hook up the blades to it and if one is heavier it'll fall downwards and the light one will go up so you add tape to the light one until they balance.

If you want to balance dynamically then put a piece of tape on either blade. Run the rotor and if the vibration increases take the tape off the one blade and put some on the other. Keep adding tape until you minimise vibration.

Originally posted by aussiechopchop
I have a slight tracking problem
For tracking (which is different to balancing!). Put a piece of bright coloured tape on one blade (don't worry about affecting the balance at this stage - it's only temporary. Run the rotors and if you don't see a flat disc with both blades in track try to see which blade has the coloured tape on. If the higher blade then adjust the pushrods on the cyclic to bring that one down and the other one up. Keep repeating until both blades are in track.

Cliff
Old 02-28-2003, 03:02 AM
aussiechopchop

Thanks Cliff!!!-- no wonder we al love these boards
slight problem here -- and it might just be terminology-- there appears on the FEDA there is no cyclic adjustment on the pushrods??They are a set moulded length of ABS Maybe im dense and not understanding exactly what you mean
Old 02-28-2003, 01:24 PM
imeins

From the FEDA / HummingBird manual under tracking.

Blade Tracking and Lift Adjustment -If the transmitter throttle stick is at 1/2 power and the helicopter will not lift off the
ground,bend or twist the main blades slightly to increase the angle of attack of the blades and adjust both blades equally.This
will increase the blade pitch.

It is possible that after twisting or bending the blades that the blades may go out of track.When viewed from the side,there
appears to be two blades.To correct this decrease the pitch on blade A and increase the pitch on blade B until only one blade can
be seen.Attaching a small piece of colored tape to the tip of one blade will make this easier.
You can find a copy on the centuri heli website.

Hope that helps, fellow Aussie!

Ingmar
Old 02-29-2004, 03:51 AM
daveacl

Default RE: Balancing a FEDA/HUMMINGBIRD

Heli wont take of i have a hirodbo shuttle plus i was told by the hobby shop to leave my main blades loose ie so i could move the blades with my hands? also that the tracking should be at approx 5 degrees stupid question is that 5degrees with the thicker part of the blades pointing upwards My blades are spinning so fast that i am hiding behind a wall i am sure the darn things are gonna come off BUT i aint getting no lift Regards dave England