Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Tower Trainer 40 replacement wing

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Tower Trainer 40 replacement wing

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2003, 10:58 AM
ssgtsmack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tower Trainer 40 replacement wing

I was thinking about changing the wing on my tower trainer 40 to a more sporty wing with no dihedral and a semi-symetrical or fully symetrical airfoil. Does anyone have any suggestions on what kind of wing I can change to?

Thanks
Old 02-28-2003, 01:48 PM
1/4 flyboy
My Feedback: (1)

I took a tower hobbies trainer wing and took all the deheadral out of it a few years back,and then change it to a bolt on wing the boy's still fly I never have had any problems with it. go for it it's just like getting a new plane big difference.
Old 02-28-2003, 02:45 PM
greenboot
My Feedback: (1)

If you're thinking of building a whole new wing with new ribs, thats about half of a plane. You might want a bigger elevator and rudder as well. Gosh, a four star kit is only 75 bucks and you would have an entire new plane. That's what I'd do.

Certainly nothing wrong with your idea however. Taking out the dihedral and enlarging the control surfaces might produce a bigger effect for less work.

Tom
Old 02-28-2003, 04:38 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I left the dihedral in the wing on my Tower trainer (I still instruct students on this plane, so I wanted it to remain a trainer). But I did something that made a HUGE improvement in it's performance. I recovered mine and sealed all the hinge gaps. You have no idea how much this helped. The plane will now do a very decent roll and fly inverted.

The other mod I made on it was to replace the rubber bands and make it a bolt on wing.

I have over 300 flights on mine and it's still flying like a champ!!!
Old 02-28-2003, 07:02 PM
beardking
My Feedback: (4)

You could always modify your wing the way I did. Take it out to the field on a nice warm still August day. Fly around for a few flights then decide this will be your last flight of the day. Take off and bank left directly into a huge black bird. Does wonders for your wing (not to mention everything else that slams into the ground from about 400 feet up). This is how it will look afterward. http://home.attbi.com/~drafter/Dead_...dead_plane.htm
Old 03-01-2003, 04:24 AM
ssgtsmack

How exactly did you take the dihedral out of the wing? How did it fly after that? I've thought about enlarging the control surfaces a little bit but I have to fix my horizontal stab problem first. The left side of the horizontal stab sits a little low.
Old 03-22-2003, 03:48 AM
rich141

Default bird

Originally posted by beardking
You could always modify your wing the way I did. Take it out to the field on a nice warm still August day. Fly around for a few flights then decide this will be your last flight of the day. Take off and bank left directly into a huge black bird. Does wonders for your wing (not to mention everything else that slams into the ground from about 400 feet up). This is how it will look afterward. http://home.attbi.com/~drafter/Dead_...dead_plane.htm
how did the bird come out
Old 03-22-2003, 05:31 AM
beardking
My Feedback: (4)

My wife said that she saw it floating in the pond at the end of our runway at my field. I personally never saw the bird at all.
Old 03-26-2003, 08:38 PM
PaulSwany
My Feedback: (45)

I did this once with a little .25 size trainer... I just took the airfoil from the wing and duped it for the bottom for a fully symetrical airfoil with no dihedral. I also modified the tail feathers for my control surface and more throw... Made a great bird until my wing separated in the air.... Make sure to sheet the center section!!

Go for it duuude... all you can have is fun!!!