Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

extra 300 tip stall

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 06:44 PM
Holton50

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default extra 300 tip stall

hey guys i have a question regarding tip staling on my GP patty wagstaff. So i have about 10 flights on my GP PW and she tip stalls fairly easily. i thought it was because my plane was too heavy... weighed it an its a mere 15.5 pounds... which is well in the recommended weight. Anyone else have a GP PW, or for this mater an extra 300 25% that tip stalls fairly easily? Any tips to reduce the tip stalling?
thanks--
chris-
Old 06-02-2007, 08:21 PM
DMichael
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: extra 300 tip stall

I don't have one of these but I have seen numerous flown by club members and at IMAC contests and such. The consensus that I get from them is that the plane is a bit on the small size for a 15-16lb airplane. Even though it is within the recommendation at 15.5lbs the wing loading is high. Typically a sharper leading edge on the tips helps snaps so a blunter leading edge may help with your tip stalls. The best thing to do would be if you could get another pound or more out of the plane.

Dave
Old 06-03-2007, 10:16 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts

I'm curious as to what model you were flying previous to Patty?

The reason I ask is that the wing loading is probably higher than what you might be used to, tip stalling is something that occurs with most scale models as they do not have the "wing washout" their full scale counterparts have, and Patty has a HUGE horizontal stab/elevator so it's easy to get too carried away with that deflection setup.

My Patty had a ZDZ-50 on it, was heavier than yours but still flew quite nicely serving as my transition to gas airplane. Another modeler here has her with electric power and a similar weight to mine. He has a bunch more experience than I do with mostly gasser powered stuff before he started with converting to electrics, he said Patty fly's "much lighter than the wing loading would suggest".

Check your CG (aft CG is a toughy to contend with), control deflections, and remember she needs a bit more speed to keep the wing flying than some sort of sport/trainer type model.
Old 06-03-2007, 05:30 PM
Holton50

yeah all my life ive been flying my something extra and fun fly tiger... mabye she just flys different and i need to get usto this...
Old 06-10-2007, 11:39 AM
explorer2316
My Feedback: (4)

Without too many details i can say the extra 300 design is great. However, torque and tip stalls are the worst of its problems, but not really. The key with a extra be it a L or S is to roll your take offs out if your at recomended minimum engine size to avoid torque stalling it and add some flaps when landing to reduce the tip stall point. Other than that is prue skill something this plane design loves to have.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:19 PM
Taildragger726

Please explane this 'torque stall',,, I'm lost on this one.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:48 PM
Richard D Bahmann aka/Wrongway
My Feedback: (42)

Here's one most are not familiar with....

The accelerated stall. If memory serves it can be done at any configuration any bank angle.

Perhaps some of you Tip Stallers might research this one
Old 06-11-2007, 05:56 AM
Rate1

First thing I would do is to check lateral balance of your plane. Everybody is aware of the CofG position of their planes, but many forget to balance laterally. Check wich wing tip that is the heavier one and add just the right amount of weight to the other wing tip. This is importaint to all planes, especially to aerobats pushing the flight envelop.

Regards,

C.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:20 PM
packet

A stall is caused by only one thing, too much angle of attack. Being tail heavy, too heavy, or the design of the wing, or the speed of the aircraft will determine when that angle is reached.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:02 PM
Taildragger726

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5966972/anchors_5975176/mpage_2/key_/anchor/tm.htm#5975176]clicky here[/link]