Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Revolution 52 Ignition Module Failures

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Revolution 52 Ignition Module Failures

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 05:26 PM
T-bolt-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Revolution 52 Ignition Module Failures

I bought two Revolution Engines recently to use in my Skyshark P-40's The first plane had three flights and the ignition module blew. The second one lasted for six flights and met the same fate. One had a four cell 4.8 volt battery and the other had a five cell 6.0 volt battery. The directions state that up to 7.2 volts is safe. Is this a common problem for this engine? Are there other failures out there?The engine has a two year guarantee, but what good is the same type module replacement? You know sooner or later it will quit in a bad spot and your plane will be lost. I am very dissapointed in this product.
T-Bolt
Old 06-09-2007, 12:54 AM
gunny11
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: Revolution 52 Ignition Module Failures

How did you mount the ignition unit? Is there any vibration dampeners under it? Any heat build up? Pictures? Did you install a ground wire connection between the ignition unit's metal box and the engine? I just pulled mine out of the box last night and was getting ready to install it in my p-51 top flite ARF.

Gunny
Old 06-09-2007, 06:14 PM
T-bolt-RCU

Unit was mounted as per instructions. I had the same foam material under it as you would use under a receiver. Unit was on a wooden table above the engine in the front cowl area. The unit has two leads, one to the engine sensor and the second to the battery switch.
t-bolt.
Old 06-10-2007, 01:04 AM
gunny11

I've had some other brands go bad. But I've learned with most electronic ignition systems if they last through the first gallon, then they usually will last 10'ns of gallons. Keep us posted.

Gunny
Old 06-10-2007, 09:26 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the problems continue contact Ralph at RC Igintion and obtain one of the RCXcel units he sells. Should be a straight swap and provide the dependability you don't have now.

I absolutely disagree with the statement that an ignition that lasts one gallon will last for 10 or more. I've burned up a lot of ignitions after 5 gallons and a lot after 1. A whole heck of a lot.
Old 06-10-2007, 09:43 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

It'a a pity that electronic ignition systems don't have the longevity that their magento counterparts do. If someone ever comes up with an honest to goodness bullet proof system they would make a bundle.

Karol
Old 06-10-2007, 09:53 AM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Seams like with solid state circuitry and more complex electronics together with heat and vibration, comes a fragility by nature. Some companies address this in their engineering and some don't.
Old 06-10-2007, 12:28 PM
davewallace
My Feedback: (29)

Hi Karol,
Ralph at RC Ignitions has the next best thing with his lifetime warranty. You can't ask for more the that.

Dave
Old 06-14-2007, 07:53 AM
T-bolt-RCU

Hi All,
Well I received a new one right from the manufacturer "Revmaster" in Canada. Gee, you would think that after two that didn't work this one would be "top shelf". With great excitement I drove to the field to see the P-40 do it's thing. After getting everything ready it was time to start the Revolution 50. It was more difficult to start than usual but after 15-20 flips it stated. One major problem was obvious right from the start. The engine would only run BACKWARDS, at a very low RPM and for a very short time, 2-3 seconds. It also kicked while you were going through the compression stage. It start almost every flip but ran backwards as described above. It looked like my Skyshark P-40 would not fly today. It is starting to be a real joke with little being done by any of the parties involved to really correct this problem.
Obvious the timing is not correct, and the key is in the keyway on the shaft of the engine. So the problem is still in the module right from the source, Revmaster. Ten days and two Skyshark p-40's still arn't flying....what a joke!
T-bolt
Old 06-14-2007, 11:38 AM
Tired Old Man

I know it's under warranty, but for $60.00-$80.00 you can get one that works from RC Ignition. Your choice, fly or screw with it again and hope.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:27 PM
gunny11

Oh Man! That's not right![X(] First I would send the whole engine with the ign. unit back to them, or if it truly is just the ignition unit, I would go and get the unit that silver surfer suggested from rcignition.

Mines' on a test stand and I will see if and how mine runs.

Gunny
Old 06-15-2007, 04:53 AM
T-bolt-RCU

Hi,
Is there a website for RC ignition or a number I can call. Seems like now Revmaster wants the ignition modules back for inspection and they will decide to repair or replace them. Either way I doubt they can get it right. At best it sounds like the old stall tactic to make you so tired of waiting that you fix it on your own or your guarantee runs out. It is so sad that some companies operate this way. [>:]
T-bolt
Old 06-15-2007, 07:56 AM
Tired Old Man

928 635 2455 Use the phone. He likes that better than e-mail due to a lot of spam. If he doesn't answer it means he's out of town so call back. Make sure you leave a name, number, and reason for calling if you get the machine. He will call back.
Old 06-15-2007, 06:51 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: davewallace

Hi Karol,
Ralph at RC Ignitions has the next best thing with his lifetime warranty. You can't ask for more the that.

Dave
Yes I know, that's why two of my three gas engines are from him and they run absolutely perfect, plus he is super person to deal with. One of these days I will get around to pulling my G45 and sending it to him for some of his magic and weight loss treatment.

Karol

Karol
Old 09-03-2007, 10:30 PM
gunny11

Well, Now my ignition unit went bad after a total of 38 minutes of actual run time. (less than a gallon).
But anyway I'm going to get too one of Ralph's rc ignition units.

gunny
Old 09-04-2007, 04:25 AM
Tired Old Man

Please correct me if I'm wrong. Is the name of the failing ignitions "Cimmaster"?
Old 09-04-2007, 01:02 PM
gunny11

Yes it is.

My friend in our local flying club had 3 replacements and they all failed within one tank run. Man, he had to pull some amazing dead stick landings out of his hat with his FW-190. His fourth unit is still working, but only 3 complete flights.

Thanks, but no thanks am I going to go through what he went through. He could'nt fly his plane all season because of the shipping back and forth of 3 ignition units.

I just ordered one of Ralph's RCXCEL units.

Gunny
Old 09-04-2007, 06:17 PM
Tired Old Man

That's the same ignition that's now used on Brison engines. Before the company changed hands they were equipped with CH. The change was made because the Cimmaster is a lot cheaper....
Old 09-04-2007, 07:23 PM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why Revolution engines are equipped with such low-quality ignitions? We probably should think twice before buying engines with low-quality parts or having poor service.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:43 PM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

How do you go about ordering Ralph's RCXCEL units; I went to www.rcignitions.com and didn't see the modules, pricing or ordering info?
Old 09-04-2007, 09:46 PM
gunny11

That's the same ignition that's now used on Brison engines.

And it was a Brison engine the guy had in his FW-190

And the award goes to the cheapest bidder.

gunny
Old 09-04-2007, 10:08 PM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sure, and now all the problems surface, and the pain to fix them before fun begins!