Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Fuji 64 electrical interference

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 08:09 PM
tjwitman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuji 64 electrical interference

I've been reading a lot of the posts on this forum as well as others concerning EMI with the Fuji engines. Your response has been to 'send in the engine for us to check'. One poster said that he asked your tech if the engine was checked with a radio and the answer was NO. How can you check EMI with no radio present? It appears from all the posts that this interference issue is a too common problem with your engines. In my case, I lost my giant F4U to what I suspect was EMI from the engine.
I have an old (over 20 years) Quadra 50 powering my 1/3 Sopwith Pup for 18 years with an old FM radio and have NEVER had a hint of interference. Right after starting to use the Fuji 64 I get interference!
I think it is time that you realize you MAY have a problem with your engines and address it, rather than burying your head in the sand. Fuji doesn't have the best reputation in the flying community now and continuing problems with EMI will not serve your company very well. Maybe something as simple as a retro kit for the plug lead or other shielding on components might solve the problem and save Fuji.
Old 06-09-2007, 08:52 PM
anonymouse

Default RE: Fuji 64 electrical interference

I might suggest that if the engine is a mag type, you did what I just did with my BT32. Get a piece of shielded TV cable and remove the shielding. Put the shielding over the spark plug lead and cover with heatshrink to hold in place so it won't unravel. Use a small wire to ground the shielding to the engine case. It works for me...thanks to a fellow R/Cer in England. I also told Fuji what I did and suggested they change to a shielded cable....don't hold your breath>>>>>
Old 06-09-2007, 09:32 PM
tjwitman

Hi Anonymouse,

I did cover the lead with braided line and grounded it. Still had interference! ( I wonder how much interference comes from the ATM module. That is something different from other engine manufacturers. When I get an opportunity, being an Amateur Radio guy, I will use my frequency meter to see if I can pinpoint anything. I hate to do the work of Fuji, though! They need to wake up!
Old 06-09-2007, 10:56 PM
anonymouse

One other suggestion I got was to put a "Y" harness in the battery to reciever lead and ground the black wire to the engine. Haven't had to try that yet....but would have been my next step. Lotsa luck getting Fuji to do anythng...
Old 06-11-2007, 10:49 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If you have an interference problem that cannot be resolved, we DO help, but we do need to see the engine and/or the ignition unit. It should not "spray" RF noise all over the place. If the ignition unit is noisy, we replace it. However, we DO need to have the engine here to give proper coverage under the warranty.