Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Tire siping

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 01:12 PM
Dan07RAZE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire siping

Hey everyone!

I have been using a Raze on pavement for some time now, I've completely worn down any treads on all 4 stock tires. I went out and paid something outrageous for 4 tires @ the local hobby shop, while it's nice it's less than 4 miles from home - it's way overpriced. It was $21.99 for 2 Pro-line tires.

Anyway... I went to remove the stock tires & was disgusted that I wasted money so soon. I was shocked to see how thick the tires actually are! I could have easily gone a few more months without changing the tires.

Has anyone experimented with tire siping? I have a bunch of siping irons & I would like to give it a try on the next set of tires after I wear them bald. However I don't want to go ahead and do it...I don't want to be the dummy who is going 40mph+ when a tire shreds and puts me another $100 in the hole for replacement parts.

Also, my stock wheels are plastic - is it okay to use the boiling method to soften the tire glue or will the wheels become weak/melt/soften?
Old 06-11-2007, 01:25 PM
SavageX78

Default RE: Tire siping

Yes you can boil the rims, I just did it for the first time and it works great.

As for the siping i have no clue.
Old 06-11-2007, 02:48 PM
Dan07RAZE

I should say grooving rather than siping.

Thanks for the help. I will get to boiling this afternoon.

How long did you boil for? I can't imagine boiling them for long? Will the foam melt?
Old 06-11-2007, 04:53 PM
annie_himself

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used the oven method. worked SOO much better for me, the tires fell off and with the boiling you have to wait for the water in the foam to cool or you will get burnded alot badly.