Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

i am sick of nitro problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 11:44 AM
razor 2.o

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i am sick of nitro problems

hey guys
i have a savage 25 nitro that i ran 2 gallons in and has a broken piston
i can laways replace the piston but it here it costs maybe about 90 dolars and thats costy plus i am sick of nitro so i thought why not converting it to electric but of course i dont know how. i know that i need a esc.motor.pinions.mounts and a guy who can tell me how i know about electric stuff so motors and escs shouldnt be a problem the problem is do i need a new tranny?anybody knows how too? i dont care if its costy
Old 06-21-2007, 11:47 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: i am sick of nitro problems

Electric(good electric, with good batteries..) is more expensive than nitro..

If you're sick of nitro hassles, get an Axial 28... It's pretty hassle-free..
Old 06-21-2007, 11:57 AM
DaveG55

It's RC, It's a hobby. It's going to give you problems.
Weather it's electric or nitro it will have issues and problems, just different ones.
If you don't like the nitro Savage, sell it and buy the electric version. It will be alot easier and the cost will be compariable. Just don't be nieve and expect it to be problem free.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:07 PM
razor 2.o

but the e savage is smaller and i dont realy like nitro any more so why not go electric,i dont realy wont to go nitro any more thats why i posted this,and i can get a new piston but i dont want to,so how can i do the conversion?
Old 06-21-2007, 12:15 PM
tmdz28

get a baja 5b. play it in the sand and the only broken parts would be the tires
Old 06-21-2007, 12:18 PM
ravenlunatic

the electric version is smaller then the nitro, the parts are not even compatible! it's like a whole different truck!

i'm with razor of this one, i've already got the electronics i just need a motor mount and a pinion that will fit for meshing the spur on the xss.
i really think that brushless can push my xss to newer speeds and power. the only reason i'm still running nitro is because i have not found a conversion kit for the savage any where.

i actually like the sound and feel of nitro better but the mess it makes and the equipment it takes to start it is taking up so much room in my trunk!

the reasons for wanting to convert would be to eliminate the following:

the nitro bottle
the fill bottle
extra glow plugs
glow starter
glow starter batt's
glow plug wrench
silicon tubing
an extra servo
a rag to wipe up the oil
the time it takes to start the truck (only like 2mins but still!)
angry neighbors that come out and start yelling because of the noise
inconsistent power
walking up to the truck to start it when it dies.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:28 PM
HerrSavage

Well, doing a full conversion probably isn't that easy.. In which case if you really want nitro - sell your Savage and buy the E-Savage.... Easiest way..
Old 06-21-2007, 12:48 PM
bckyrdbshr
My Feedback: (35)

I love my E-savage...... It may be a tad smaller but its just about the same size as an E-Maxx. The E-Savage will blow the E-Maxx away, anything the E-Maxx will do the E Savy does better... Now if size matters just get you a set of extended TVP's and a set of maxx rims and tires and you can fit savage gp bodies or maxx bodies no problem.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:49 PM
FrankB2

I have an E-Savage (see my avatar), and it's been fun. It uses two battery packs, and run times are about 15 minutes on average.
I have 14 battery packs, all NiMH, and two chargers to cut charging time in half. Battery packs get just as hot or hotter in the
E-Savage as they do in any electric, so slapping the packs right onto a charger probably wouldn't work.

My 30 yr R/C experience has mostly been with nitro airplanes, and I bought a nitro truck a couple months ago (Hot Bodies
Lightning GT10). It outperforms the E-Savage, and it only requires a small fuel bottle and glow starter to keep it running.
Removing a truck's body, battery packs, and then replacing all of that every 15 minutes can be a hassle. I had a problem
with a motor lead breaking of the circuit board in muy E-Savage's ESC. I was able to repair it myself, but new ESC's are
$90. The motors are supposed to last a long time, but I do clean mine occassionally. The noise issue is an area where the E-Savage
really shines. It's many gears to make it louder than some other electrics, but nothing that would bother anyone. It is fast: Eric Hege
clocked the E-Savage at 25mph in his RCU review, and sitting in the driver seat of the family sedan, we measured an easy 25mph with
my E-Savage on the road.

I like them both................
Old 06-21-2007, 01:45 PM
rcnitrohead

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I say that you should keep you 1/8 Savage and convert it, I've seem some vids and even a few conversion kits on ebay of 1/8 electric Savages and with the right gear and stuff they can kill a nitro version, plus they dwarf the 1/10 scale version and have way more aftermarket support, my 0.2, Tom.[8D]
Old 06-21-2007, 01:56 PM
HerrSavage

You could probably buy a Picco 28 though with a couple gallons of fuel for what a good brushless conversion plus good batteries(more than one set..) would cost...

If you want simple and hassle-free get the E-Savage...
Old 06-21-2007, 02:56 PM
rcnitrohead

Check out this kit, cheap and all you need is batteries and stuff:

http://home.comcast.net/~milemarkers...Conversion.htm

Or: http://home.comcast.net/~milemarkers...Conversion.htm

Both give you crazy power for wheelies and high speed and still use the tranny and mechanics. I would buy it if I wanted to go brushless[8D] Tom.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:19 PM
ravenlunatic

thanks for the link
Old 06-21-2007, 04:01 PM
rcnitrohead

You got it
Old 06-21-2007, 08:27 PM
Stablock

ORIGINAL: razor 2.o

…………
…………………………………………†¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â €¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦
……………………………………… it costs maybe about 90 dolars and thats costy……………………………………… …………………………………………†¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦
i thought why not converting it to electric ...................i dont care
if its costy

????????????? Does anyone else think this is funny?
Old 06-22-2007, 10:35 AM
CooknessMunster

the amount of money to take to fully convert the thing would'nt be worth it....I say take a break from your nitro get yourself an electric kit put that together run that for awhile.....it won't be long before you get the itch to burn the fuel again.....this hobby is all about patience....there has been many a time that I have wanted to toss the savy straight out of the window....but I take a couple deep breathes and then back to the repairs. Electrics will not be problem free so make sure that you don't go into it expecting hassle free racing there is always something. Good luck!
Old 06-22-2007, 10:45 AM
razor 2.o

hey stablock
you mean it is funny because i say that the piston is 90 dolars and then i say that i dont care about how much would it cost for a conversion,well i said that because the whole engine costs 100dolars here and i am not welling to pay 90 dolars whenever the damn piston brake.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:04 AM
ravenlunatic

ORIGINAL: razor 2.o

hey stablock
you mean it is funny because i say that the piston is 90 dolars and then i say that i dont care about how much would it cost for a conversion,well i said that because the whole engine costs 100dolars here and i am not welling to pay 90 dolars whenever the damn piston brake.
i feel ya man, it's like paying a large amount for one time rather than having to pay slightly smaller amounts multiple times.

plus the conversion is not final. you can keep the nitro engine and put it back if you ever feel the need. i'd consider it more of a hop up option.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:05 AM
FrankB2

If you're sick of nitro, you could sell the Savage as it sits and put that money toward an E-Savage. I bought mine a few
months ago from Tower, and they were $300 then. They raised the price to $330....

You could look on the Electric Car forum: there's athread about a Revo electric conversion. I believe that the poster
spent more than the cost of a new E-Savage, however.
Old 06-22-2007, 12:28 PM
Neil E

Has anyone done the math. To convert using the parts form http://home.comcast.net/~milemarkers...Conversion.htm On the cheap side will be $450.00 to $500.00 and having no backup battries.
Old 06-22-2007, 02:18 PM
CWC

I had a thread like this a few months ago and I decided to stay nitro because the conversion kit: engine plate, motor, esc, lipo battery, charger for lipo battery, new gears through out the the tranny and diffs, and several other things would have been like $1,600 I could have done it for less but why do it for less when you could have the best. and yes the brushless are very fast, but nitro cost less, sounds better, (burns nitro) and if someone asks "Is that thing gas powered" you can so NO its NITRO powered[>:]!!! instead of eehhh its electric[].

Get a axil.28 or a E-savage or both and you will still come out ahead, just go to the electric fourm and ask around thay will all say just git an E-savage unless you want the baddest electric truck ever for the biggest price ever. Give nitro a second chance I'm glad I did!
Old 06-22-2007, 06:33 PM
horeable

if the thing runs decently of nimh batteries and that dual motor setup it might not be too costly at all. you would just need the speed controller,motor, and the batteries. so thats maybe 300 for everything(maybe less if you get a good deal
on the esc and make your own packs). sure it is as much as an esavage. but it would be a hell of alot more fun and you would have an original. Now that is of course counting on the fact that the kit mentioned eariler is worth a damn.

Alot of people are down on electrics, but lets face it they are just as fast if done right, and are usually less of a pain. You just loose out on the loud, smokey fun of a nitro(which I personally like)

I say go for it and let us know how good it works, especially since it isnt my money.

Old 06-22-2007, 08:31 PM
rcnitrohead

I would do it just to have a 1/8 electric Savage Crush all of the E-Savages out there[>:]
Old 06-22-2007, 09:50 PM
bob1492007

you can make a pinch with the motor mount ive seen it done with an rc10gt motor mount then you will ahve to figure out were to put all the electronic
Old 06-22-2007, 10:50 PM
bckyrdbshr
My Feedback: (35)

ORIGINAL: rcnitrohead

I would do it just to have a 1/8 electric Savage Crush all of the E-Savages out there[>:]
Nope that will never happen ... The E-Savy will still be lighter and faster No harm in dreaming though

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.