Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Help me start my RC10 gt

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2003, 08:20 AM
ChetRog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me start my RC10 gt

Havnt used this car in 2 years and well i only used it once for a minute when i did..."Long story" well i got the parts i needed and want to get it running..I have a new glow plug and it is lighting up but after 3 or 4 pulls the pull start was getting harder to pull..I took the plug out and it pulls very very easy..Maybe it was just flooded or something? The thing you put on the glow plug to start "Sorry dont know the name" only was charged for a few hours..its charging now hopefully it will start in the moring..anyone have any suggestions? Thanks and please if you have any suggestions feel free to suggest
Old 03-06-2003, 09:52 AM
willmo

sounds like the engine is being flooded, other than that, in my experience if you havent broken the motor in they are very very tight, and the compression is very high, until you get a few liters throught the motor. IT may well be. That, but usually the charaterisic of a flooded engine is it become hard to crank over.
Old 03-06-2003, 09:59 AM
buyrbware
My Feedback: (2)

Default Chet

First charge your glowdriver 20-24 hours...

Step 1: Remove glow plug and put it in the glowdriver, make sure the plug core becomes hot and orange! If yes your driver works.

Step 2. Install plug, add fuel to tank, Install driver on plug, pull the cord with throttle closed..If it doesnot start before cord gets tight and hard to pull... Open throttle to full and pull it through because yes your flooded! You should start if not check this!

(Needlevalve the big external screw where the fuel line enters the carburator) Turn this clockwise full closed,...Then back it off 2 1/2 turns this wil set your intial setting...Try to start it again!

Your cord is getting hard to pull so I will assume you didnot mess with any carb screws (so don't touch them now) you are getting fuel!!!! If this starts run car at idle to a 1/4 throttle and 1/2 throttle occasionally for about 2 to 3 tanks of gas!!!! after that you will set your needle valve to the optimum rpm and a little rich to produce nice smoke and a positive breakin! Any problems pm me and I'll try to help!

Tom
Old 03-06-2003, 10:06 AM
ChetRog

When its flooded ..Are there any quick ways to get it on flooded like already mentioned..I hope the Trucks starts tomorrow. or its basicly 400 bucks down the drain
Old 03-06-2003, 10:09 AM
buyrbware

Take the glowplug out turn the car upside down and drian the fuel.....or remove plug remove intake fuel line cover plug hole with a rag and pull it through.....you will soak the rag but empty your combustion chamber!

Tom
Old 03-06-2003, 10:13 AM
buyrbware

Default I'm going to be home finnally!

Chet, I am home all day today starting in about 3 hrs. If you need help you can feel free to call.....317-513-6981
will walk you through adjustments and breakin>>>>
Tom
Old 03-06-2003, 10:41 AM
ChetRog

I should just drain it out of the engine rite not the fuel tank...Thanks for the offer to call..hopefully i will get it going in the morning..gotta get at least 5 hours of sleep tonight thanks all
Old 03-06-2003, 05:38 PM
ChetRog

well i have been trying for the last half an hour to get it going..It is no longer tight to pull and it sounds like it should "Or at least i think it does" the darn thing just wont start I have messed with those 2 screws and it just wont start..I checked my glow plug a few times just to make sure it was light up and it was.Any ideas I'm really wanting to get this going but dont know much about them.
It pulls fine now,glow plug is lighting up ,I have tried to start it with throttle closed and open have messed with the 2 screws,The smaller of the 2 scews on carb i didnt mess with as much "i Think it is the screw that makes it leaner"this was harder to get to..Anyone with any thoughts or ideas please let me know..Thanks for you time as always
Old 03-06-2003, 05:50 PM
proficient

Maybe the best thing to do would be to go down to your LHS (local hobby shop) and ask them nicely to just take a look and see if they can see whats the problem..

It might be something extremely obvious that you might not even notice, but the LHS will pick up befor you even put it on the counter.
Old 03-06-2003, 06:53 PM
grampi

My experience with pull starts has been brief, but I can tell you they aren't worth a turtle's fart! What your experiencing now sounds exactly what I went through with my RC 10. I never could get mine started using the pull start. I finally got smart a bought a starter box. If there's one piece of equipment that can make this hobby 100 times more enjoyable, it's a starter box. Pull starts break frequently, and if the engine feels like being a little finicky on any given day, you won't get it stated with the pull start. Starter boxes, and everything required can be had for less than $100, and I guarantee your engine will start every time. Starter boxes are worth their weight in gold!
Old 03-06-2003, 11:17 PM
ChetRog

Unfortunately i dont have a local hobby store..IM on my own..I cant really see buying a starter box just yet..Im hoping to get it running without having to spend 100 more..but if i get it running i think i will..thanks guys ..IM gonna eat a quick lunch then try again
Old 03-06-2003, 11:19 PM
grampi

You're putting the cart in front of the horse. If you get the starter box, you will get it running. If you don't you may or may not.
Old 03-06-2003, 11:22 PM
buyrbware

call me and i will walk you though the readjustment and start proccess.

tom
Old 03-06-2003, 11:25 PM
BUGGIES_R_US

Well Grampi.. you seem to hate em excessively. My Hpi SS used to start ion the second or third pull without fail! It was a dream!

Anyway I would check teh car and make sure everything is clean before I start it. You dont want the engine sucking in crap!

I agree with tom.. your glow plug ignitor/plug is probably at fault.

BTW the fuel is fresh right??
ram
Old 03-06-2003, 11:28 PM
XR2PROBE

WELL THATS NO TRUE WITH THE STARTER BOX, IVE NEVER HAD A BOX AND IVE BEEN IN THE BUISNESS FOR 27 YEARS............AND AS FOR STARTER BOXES THEY ARE FOR THOSE THAT DONT WANT TO TAKE THE TIME AND GET THINGS GOING BEFORE CHECKING TO MAKE SURE THINGS ARE RIGHT IT IS JUST AS EASY TO SNAP A CON ROD OR BLOW THE SEALS ON THE ENGINE BEARINGS WITH USEING THE BOXES IN THE FIRST PLACE................
Old 03-06-2003, 11:31 PM
buyrbware

wow......all capitol letters, my hears hurt.. Seriuosly chet you have your carb out of wack easy fix and if your not trying to use water for fuel we can get it running!

Tom
Old 03-06-2003, 11:36 PM
BUGGIES_R_US

LOL..

I know Pull starts are actually pretty cool.. Unfortunately I dotn have a choice with my current engine!
I dont think I Wanna pull start that tapered high compression engine either.. I have a hard enough time getting the damn thing out when it gets stuck TDC lol
-ram
Old 03-06-2003, 11:49 PM
ChetRog

Tom ..is there a way i can get starting with the carb..I would like to do it over the net or something..Maybe instant messenger or something..Im gonna go back to work now but i get off in 4 hours..I will come back and check this message board..IM pretty sure that its the screw that is hard to get to that i have to mess with..IM gonna get a persision screwdriver from work to mess with it...
Old 03-06-2003, 11:53 PM
buyrbware

Default chet

I will send you a pm on how to set the carb my spelling sucks and i type like crap but I will try to describe what you need to do...
Tom
Old 03-07-2003, 12:12 AM
grampi

Originally posted by XR2PROBE
WELL THATS NO TRUE WITH THE STARTER BOX, IVE NEVER HAD A BOX AND IVE BEEN IN THE BUISNESS FOR 27 YEARS............AND AS FOR STARTER BOXES THEY ARE FOR THOSE THAT DONT WANT TO TAKE THE TIME AND GET THINGS GOING BEFORE CHECKING TO MAKE SURE THINGS ARE RIGHT IT IS JUST AS EASY TO SNAP A CON ROD OR BLOW THE SEALS ON THE ENGINE BEARINGS WITH USEING THE BOXES IN THE FIRST PLACE................
That's not what starter boxes are for. I'm as maticulous as they come and would never skip making sure everything is set up properly before I get started. Starter boxes are for those of us who like to spend more time driving rather than trying to get engines started. Even with everyhting adjusted properly, nitro engines are tempermental by nature and are easily affected by many factors, all of which can cause difficulty in starting. A starter box gives you the ability to override those difficulties. If it weren't for starter boxes, I'd probably run electric.
Old 03-07-2003, 01:34 AM
buyrbware

Originally posted by grampi

That's not what starter boxes are for. I'm as maticulous as they come and would never skip making sure everything is set up properly before I get started. Starter boxes are for those of us who like to spend more time driving rather than trying to get engines started. Even with everyhting adjusted properly, nitro engines are tempermental by nature and are easily affected by many factors, all of which can cause difficulty in starting. A starter box gives you the ability to override those difficulties. If it weren't for starter boxes, I'd probably run electric.
He's right, he is as maticulous as they come, a royal pain in the butt at times But I will agree with him..A starter box is nice to have....Hell beats spaghetti arms!

tom
Old 03-07-2003, 01:34 AM
XR2PROBE

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

im not using this forum as a way to start an arguement what i was speaking of is the simple difference of those of us that have the skill of being able to tune an engine and those of us that cannot .......i was simply implying that with his skill as it is its best to learn the engine and its settings before jumping into the use of a starter box and run the chance of blowing an engine...........especially since his first paragraph states that his pull start was getting more and more difficult to pull now if he had that on a starter box he would most likely have done damage to the motor......and that i add is what i was getting at....pull starters are also a means of learning the engine ( if the engine isnt set up correctly....any novice will most likely do more harm then good without proper set up) and there is no exsperience better then the pull start.............and unless your engine isnt set up or ; if you are not familiar with your engine that well then that is something that no starter box will fix
Old 03-07-2003, 01:41 AM
Celly013

Default Re: I'm going to be home finnally!

Originally posted by buyrbware
Chet, I am home all day today starting in about 3 hrs. If you need help you can feel free to call.....317-513-6981
will walk you through adjustments and breakin>>>>
Tom
If I call, will you be willing to discuss fuel choices with me...

Be carful tho, "a certain somone" (You know who you are) might call and want you to walk then through some "Adjustments" and maby a lil "Break - in"...
Old 03-07-2003, 01:46 AM
buyrbware

Default grampi

burn that number
Old 03-07-2003, 01:52 AM
XR2PROBE

BURN WHAT NUMBER?...is there somthing we all need to know here?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.