Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Filing a flat surface on L/G

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Filing a flat surface on L/G

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 12:29 PM
sportflyer-RCU
My Feedback: (35)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Filing a flat surface on L/G

Is there a more accurate way of filing a flat surface at a certain location and angle on the L/G than manually using a file ? Tks
Old 06-29-2007, 01:23 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Filing a flat surface on L/G

What I do is take whatever wheel collar I'm going to use, locate it where I want to lock it down; do this without the set screw and use a fine-point Sharpie to make a dot through the set screw hole onto the wire gear. This will be the point of contact of the set screw. Then I take my Dremel tool with a cutoff wheel and make a small "dent" in the wire at this point. When you place the wheel collar and tighten the set screw, it fits on this dent, prevents the collar from rotating. I also use some Loctite Blue on the setscrew.
Old 06-30-2007, 09:17 AM
anonymouse

I sure like that method...... I usually end up making a big notch and copromising the gear...
Old 06-30-2007, 10:37 AM
sportflyer-RCU
My Feedback: (35)

I needed shallow slots in the L/G where the 2 set screws sit to prevent the L/G from rotating in the retract . So I marked the width and position of the set screws as recommended above then used a fibreglass reinforced cutting wheel in a dremel to cut a shallow slot then truing it up with a file. Works like a charm. Using the cutting wheel simplifies the procedure ...much less filing to do. Tks for the idea.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:07 PM
bluestratos

I need to have my flat in a specific location for my retracts. First I drilled a second hole in the strut and left it unthreaded. I then mounted the strut (or wheel collar) using the origional set screw as tight as possbile with out stripping. I then put the assemble on my drill press and drilled back down the unthreaded hole untill the drill made a dimple in the music wire ( it actuall drills nicely with a sharp drill bit, but I use colbalt bits now as they work the best) Once I have the dimple, I remove the strut or wheel collar and then tap it to match the set screw thread. I then remount and use the new set screw to lock down into the dimple. Perfect alignment ever time. I also tighten the second set screw and put a dab of lock tight on for extra measure. Doing it this way makes for positioning perfectly, the new set screw will pull the part into the exact alignment and a bonus is (1) the set screw will not rotate left or right at all since the set screw has a slight bevel on the end that locks into the dimple, and (2) you actually remove less metal. I have done this on wheel colors, retracts and wheel pant set screws and it works perfectly every time

Of course you need the following:
A decent drill press
A spare set screw
Sharp drill bits
Loctite

Some set screws are plated over brass and brass is much softer than steel so you must be carefull to align the drill bit to the pilot hole to avoid making the hole too large. Steel wheel collars or struts are easy, the dill bit cuts true with little worry. To avoid a problem, I mount the drill bit in the chuck, press it into the pilot hole then use my drill press vise to lock the collar in the right position. This way I can dill a bit at time and check the dimple depth.