Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

What is the best way to put on stickers/decals???

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

What is the best way to put on stickers/decals???

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 11:10 AM
tdoe420

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the best way to put on stickers/decals???

I am wondering the best way to put on my stickers. I did a couple and I have alot of air bubbles and they were pretty hard to get on perfect cause as soon as they stick they dont wanna come back off without pulling off some koting. I though I heard of somone spaying windex or like soap and water on before applying and then heating to remove water with a heat gun kinda like window tinting but im not sure exactly how to do it. Some tips would sure be appreciated. "ThanksTravis"
Old 06-30-2007, 12:17 PM
greyfoxx

Default RE: What is the best way to put on stickers/decals???

Travis - I'm know there are many who use this forum with much, much more experience than I, but the windex method works quiet well. The adhesive on your graphics doesn't stick to the surface so much that you can't move or remove it and reapply the sticker with windex on the surface you're wanting to apply the sticker/graphics to. I cannot guarantee you won't have some bubbles, but they will not be as many nor will they be as big. I find they are all but non existent after the windex dries.

What I do is clean the surface real well, spray windex on the surface, apply the graphics/stickers, and when they are properly positioned, squeege the air bubbles out by working from the center to the edges with a credit card or something light and that will not damage the surfaces, and that will follow the curvatures you might encounter. And yes, it's very similar to applying the window tinting film to a window, more especially if it's the windshield or a curved window.
Old 06-30-2007, 04:55 PM
jetmech05

Default RE: What is the best way to put on stickers/decals???

if your using monokote trim or monokote on monokote then spray the area with windex with amonia. the amonia in the windex will activate the adhesive, you have some time to work with it before it sticks good. Squeege out the excess windex, light dry and iron over with a monokote iron on low heat. If you like you can seal the edges with clear finger nail polish
If your using decals (self adhesive type) then use water with a few drops of dish washing detergent mixed in, slide the decals around where you want them squeege out the excess solution and let dry. dont go over these with heat just seal the edges with clear finger nail polish once you know they're dry.
hope this helps