Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Help with steering servo please

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 09:45 PM
Hordsak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with steering servo please

I just recently picked up a CEN Matrix RTR with the MX3 radio. Now here is the issue (however minor) I'm having. It's a little hard to explain but I will try. When I steer all the way left, and center the wheel on the controller, the servo goes back exactly to the middle (ie car drives straight) but when I steer all the way right, and center the wheel, the servo seems to go past center just a slight, and then centers itself immediately after. Problem is, it's hard to line up jumps ect, because of that little blip when I center the wheel after steering right. I can't fix this issue with the trim, as I've tried. It almost seems to me, that I would have to disconnect the horn, move the servo more center (it looks center to me, but who knows) and maybe shorten the steering shaft. Man.. does anyone know what I'm trying to say lol.

I've also tried all the different settings on my controller to no avail. Any idea?
Old 07-01-2007, 04:22 PM
Dokioto

Default RE: Help with steering servo please

I understand what you are trying to say but I don't really know how you would fix the problem.
Could it just be glitching? My AM radio use to do this but stopped. My best guess would be that the servo is dieing or something is wrong with it internally (like a gear is striped or it is fried in some way). If you can't get help here try emailing CEN.
Old 07-01-2007, 04:26 PM
Hordsak

It's not a glitch, as it does it every time. I also notice the throttle servo doing it as well, but I've corrected it for now by using the trim, and adjusting the throttle linkage. IE: When I hit the breaks, and let the trigger goto neutral its blips the throttle a little bit, and then comes back to idle. Linkage is not binding or anything.
Old 07-01-2007, 04:38 PM
Dokioto

If both servos are doing it or were doing it, it could be a problem with the receiver/transmitter. I thought it was a problem with the servo but since it is happening to both of them it is hard to say what the proublem is. My steering servo did this also, do to water getting in (was running in snow and didn't seal them very well). It need to be replaced and after replacing it I haven't had a problem. How long have you had the truck/Radio system?
Old 07-01-2007, 06:04 PM
Hordsak

I've had this car for 1 day now. It's brand new, and I've just completed the break-in process. It came with the MX3 Airtronics radio.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:01 PM
Dokioto

I would email Cen. They will probably replace the servo for free.. Good luck
Old 07-02-2007, 12:04 AM
Nik.

sounds like a servo problem for sure. the HiTec 645 has mild centering problems as well.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:33 AM
Hordsak

Cen told me today that it's normal for thoes servos to do that =( I can live with it on the throttle, but not the steering. Damn it. I guess this is where this hobby gets expensive. What recommendations does anyone have for a best performance/value for money steering servo for a buggy? I guess something with 200oz is what I'm looking for?
Old 07-02-2007, 01:34 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Look no further than the ACE DS1015. Best value servo out there. [email protected], I have one on my Xray XB8 steering for two years, still like new. Hitecs are always sloppy servos, in my opinion, I've tried a few and I'm never happy with centering. Other servos you could try are the Airtronics 94358Z, nice and cheap but not digital, or a Futaba 9351, but that's getting expensive.

EDIT: And yes, you're right, ideally 200oz-n is what you're looking for.

EDIT2: Oh, yeh, by the way, don't even consider running a high dollar servo with a '4xAA' battery holder. Get a decent receiver pack. AAs don't have the current draw to drive a good servo, and besides they'd be dead in minutes.
Old 07-02-2007, 07:46 PM
Hordsak

Yeah.. sounds like a plan. I already have a 1400mah NMhi 5 cell 6 volt hump pack, so I hope that should do for a good servo. Now, since I'm using the MX3 radio and the reciever that came with it, can I just plop in a digital servo and go? Or does that mean I would have to upgrade my radio ect?

It looks like it might be hard for me to get ACE servos here in Canada. If I can't purchase one in Canada, how are JR servos?
Old 07-02-2007, 07:49 PM
Dokioto

I wouldn't think so... The MX3 is a great radio IMO.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:21 PM
texaschilidog

You can buy Ace servos at amainhobbies,
Jr servos are great ive ran the 590,9000t for a while.
Imo if your going to buy a high dollar servo the air94358 is where its at!
Ive had the same one for a year now with no problems
Old 07-05-2007, 10:05 AM
Hordsak

I made a quick video of my servo issue, and put it on youtube. Here is a link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXo0SMy9OmA
Old 07-05-2007, 10:26 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: texaschilidog

You can buy Ace servos at amainhobbies,
Jr servos are great ive ran the 590,9000t for a while.
Imo if your going to buy a high dollar servo the air94358 is where its at!
Ive had the same one for a year now with no problems
94358 is analog. I don't understand why people recommend these so much, they're not all that for the money, the ACE is almost the same price and better in every way.