Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Fiberglass Cowls, How do you fix 'em?

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Fiberglass Cowls, How do you fix 'em?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 08:58 PM
dmcmike
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fiberglass Cowls, How do you fix 'em?

Ok, bonehead move of the day. [sm=bananahead.gif] Working on my GP Ultimate, spin around in the chair, catch the prop and throw the whole mess to the floor. Only real casualty is a nice size ding in the cowl, busting a bunch of paint loose. Any way someone could fix this?

Yeah, I know... pathetic! [sm=cry_smile.gif]
Old 07-01-2007, 09:39 PM
John Sohm
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: Fiberglass Cowls, How do you fix 'em?

I'd reenforce it from the inside by laying in another patch of fiberglass and resin be it polyester or epoxy. Rough up the inside before laying it in and make sure you wipe it down with some acetone or denatured alcohol to get any grease, oil or wax off of it. Once the patch is in place and cured, fill in any rough spots around the ding with resin and microballoons or maybe bondo, sand to shape and feather the edges and shoot new paint...it'll look good as new.

Then the next time you decide to do pirouettes by your workbench, remember to move the planes away from you, straighten out your tutu and remember to spot your mark so you don't get dizzy and bump your head
Old 07-01-2007, 09:40 PM
iron eagel

Bit of cloth and epoxy on the inside to stiffen it up, some thinned epoxy in cracks on the exterior allow to dry overnight. A bit of sanding wipe clean the use some glaze (auto body scratch filler) on the outside to fill low spots allow to dry sand, prime, and paint.
Old 07-02-2007, 06:05 AM
Ed Smith

I'd reenforce it from the inside by laying in another patch of fiberglass and resin be it polyester or epoxy.
A word of caution here. If the cowl is made of epoxy resin do not use polyester to fix it. Most polyester resins will not cure over epoxy. If you cannot determine what it is made of use epoxy resin, it will cure over both materials.

Ed S.
Old 07-02-2007, 07:14 AM
dmcmike
My Feedback: (14)

I'm guessing it's epoxy, regardless, that's what i'm going to use. And, I took that damn chair with wheels out of the shop!

Thanks!
Old 07-02-2007, 08:47 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

And that's another reason I don't have a ceiling fan in the workroom!!!
Old 07-03-2007, 04:02 AM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the cowl is still stiff in the damaged area then just fill [ I would use epoxy plus lots of micro balloons ] sand and paint.

However if it is soggy then some delamination has occured. Wear surgical gloves or protect your fingers with saran wrap. Push the cowl back into shape and hold it there while you run in some THIN cyano. Now fill and paint.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:55 AM
scratchonly

Like jdunc says. Fixed a few with thin CA.