Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

best Turbine Trainer??

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

best Turbine Trainer??

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 11:50 PM
rosek007

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best Turbine Trainer??

What would you guys say is the best turbine trainer?
Where would you buy it in the U.S?
Kevin
Old 07-04-2007, 12:23 AM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: best Turbine Trainer??

Hands down, Limeybob's Jetmach. If you can fly a Sig Kadet, you can fly this one. Affordable too. Look for the build thread here on RCU, and talk to Bob himself.

David
Old 07-04-2007, 12:37 AM
Ragz

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

the boomerang XL...cannot get easier than that. Flies like a high wing aircraft and can go quite ballastic as well. Landing is almost hands free...just line up on the runway and reduce power to idle. Mine would land that way with crow. Man it was so easy to fly I got bored and sold it.
Old 07-04-2007, 12:44 AM
rosek007

Think its easier than the a 10x? I flew that on electric and it felt pretty solid.
Kevin
Old 07-04-2007, 01:18 AM
NUNU

WHAT DO YOU REALLY LEARN FROM A PLANE THAT IS TOO EASY TO FLY??
Old 07-04-2007, 01:43 AM
rosek007

we can always learn something in this hobby no matter how good you are, I do fly electric jets and am interested in getting my turbine waiver so i can fly my turbine stuff. Some trainers will not or highly recommend something easy so i want to and will try my very best to make it as easy as possible for the individual who gives me his precious flyig time.
Furthermore almost all jet trainers you can still use for mild aerobatics.
Thanks
Kevin
Old 07-04-2007, 03:05 AM
rorywquin

ORIGINAL: NUNU

Confidence in handling turbines ? Installation, start up running etc !!
Old 07-04-2007, 03:08 AM
Billy
My Feedback: (15)

Baby Boomerang. Flies great, lands slow, Its an ARF you can build in 4 days, cheap, Made of wood and film coveringso it's easy to fix, Great flight envelope, you can speed around or do slow flybys and a fair amount of acrobatics. Goes together quick at the field.

Billy
Old 07-04-2007, 04:49 AM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In reply to this statement

I bought a Baby Boomerang because I liked the fact that with the top off I could see all these scary new gizmos doint their things when I started the turbine.

The BB is ridiculously easy to fly. Easier than most trainers as it has no vices except a tendancy to 'float' on landings.

However what can you learn from an easy to fly model ?? See the video of Ali Machinchy wringing it out and stop flying it when you can do what he does.
Old 07-04-2007, 05:11 AM
Ragz

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: NUNU

Too easy to fly, yet its a turbine, which is different from a prop. It has turbine lag to begin with and this will take a little getting used to. An easier floaty airframe will ease this learning curve.
Old 07-04-2007, 07:08 AM
bcovish
My Feedback: (8)

Kinda depends on what size turbine you want to buy and if you want a ARF or a kit to build.

Smaller turbine and a kit to build go for the JetMach. If you want a ARF and a smaller turbine, the Baby Boomerang gets the nod.

For a larger turbine the Boomerang XL will fill the bill. It's an ARF also.

There are all excellent flyers, slow landings with a great flight envelope.

BTW, all three of these are sold in the Dallas area.
Old 07-04-2007, 07:28 AM
Lil Hoss
My Feedback: (58)

Anything from Boomerang jets.......... I had a intro and now I'm flying a XL. These models put the fun in jet flying. After you learn on a boomerang you can progress to a more sport type jet. You can learn the delay in the turbine without worrying about stalling the wing. By far, nothing but good luck with boomerang...........

Hoss
Old 07-04-2007, 08:24 AM
Square Nozzle
My Feedback: (1)

I'm really surprised that no one has mentioned the Reaction 54. The thread on that plane has many positive reports on what a great plane it is to fly. I can't comment on that but I can comment on the kit and the build. Both top notch. Plus the plane has retracts which really is a plus for looks. If you are an experienced modeler, and you should be if you are advancing to turbines, the plane deserves a good look. It also looks like Nick Ziroli's Turbinator is a comer. It has looks and Nick's reputation behind it.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:37 AM
NUNU

I GUESS WHAT I MEAN TO SAY IS FOR INSTANCE IF YOU ALREADY FLY SOMETHING WITH A HIGH WING LOADING, FLAPS ECT...LIKE SAY A WARBIRD...THEN A EASY TO FLY JET TRAINER ONLY TEACHES YOU THROTTLE LAG..AND FOR THAT YOU COULD SET SERVO SLOW ON THAT CHANNEL IF YOU HAVE THAT FEATURE....NOW WITH THE MONEY SAVED YOU CAN GET THAT NICE JET CRAFT YOU LIKE....FOR EXAMPLE A EURO FIGHTER...WHILE NOT EXACTLY A JET TRAINER.ITS LOADS OF FUN
Old 07-04-2007, 10:30 AM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I reckon that the Boomer is easier to fly, but not very much than a Rookie II or a Bobcat with flaps.. this two are still IMO the best turbine trainers and sport jets with real jet performance.

Enrique

Old 07-04-2007, 11:56 AM
Achillesfilho

BABY BOOMERANG, no doubt.
Old 07-04-2007, 01:25 PM
Skipper Billy

Since getting into jets about 5 years ago I have owned and flown a Kangaroo, a Baby Boomerang, a 5 Jet and a Boomernag Intro.

By FAR the best flying is the Boomerang Intro.

It IS easy to fly if you define flying as taking off and at some time later landing with the model in one piece.

It is no easier to fly than any other model if you want to do rolling circles etc !!!

What has this 'easy to fly plane' given me ??? Confidence at flying a turbine and immense fun.

It is powered by a Wren Supersport which is a bit over the top but thats what my right thumb is for!!

The Kangaroo was OK but not my 'cup of tea'.

The Baby Boomerang (early kit built version oF Boomer Intro) was destroyed by a flame out on rotation at a public event - I couldnt hear it and when I realised it was too late - strong cross wind and pancaked inverted.

The 5 Jet was OK but not great - had some nasty tip stalling and dutch rolling characteristics.

I dont know anyone who has a Boomer Intro that is disappointed!!
Old 07-04-2007, 08:54 PM
Axel
My Feedback: (1)

I have a Baby Boomerang with a P-60 down here and I just can't stop flying it. The size also is great for transportation. I wish I had this at the beginning when I started flying turbines.

This is as good as it gets as far as starting flying turbines.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:47 PM
Helijet

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

O.K.

Usually I don't get involved in these type of discussions because it all depends on what a jet modeler is looking for in a trainer. I'll put in my two cents worth ...because I am done building tonight and feel like typing!

If you plan on eventually moving up to heavier, more complex aircraft then the BVM BobCat / Kingcat will give you the basics that you will need. If you plan on just flying a light weight throw around " hot air " powered plank, then the Boomerang or Reaction 54 will suit you well. If you like the traditional build, the Reaction is perfect....want to get in the air quickly....then get the Boomerang. Want to eventually fly delta designs ( ie F15, 16, 18 ) .... then startoff with the Rookie.

It all depends on what you plan on flying AFTERWARDS.

Happy Landings

Dean Wichmann
www.helijet.ca
www.pstna.com
Old 07-05-2007, 01:53 AM
Asif
My Feedback: (30)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have flown many types of turbine trainer, but hands down Bruce Tharpe's Reaction is the best!!. Its is big, flies fast and lands very slowly. Excellent for grass runway or short runway. In past I have flown from rough grass strip but never once I had any issue with landing gears. Currently I am flying my reaction with P60 from 400 ft paved runway. This aircraft can land and take off in just 200ft. And above all it is hassle jet, and has access to everything once you open all the hatches incase you need to repair or regular maintainance
This is one aircraft I love to fly, and is truely an "everyday jet."
The only downside is that reaction is in kit form and if you dont mind building this is THE AIRCRAFT!!

Asif
Old 07-05-2007, 02:42 AM
B1Driver
My Feedback: (26)

Want a Kaos 60 on steroids... get the Jet Mach... I flew that thing at the Dallas Jet Rodeo and was pleasantly surprised at how docile it was. Its a TRUE trainer in every sense of the word. I havent built one, but from what I understand, its an easy task. No pipe to worry about, no mess, no hassle....just start and go. I flew the demo version with a P-70 in it and it took all the abuse I gave it with ease. A truely wonderful design that should be seriously considered for a first turbine, maybe even just first anything. My 2 Cents worth.

Luis

Old 07-05-2007, 06:22 AM
grbaker
My Feedback: (29)

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Another good trainer if you don't mind building is the Facet by Kerry Sterner available from Todd at DreamWorks. It comes in 2 sizes 1200 & 2300.

It is kind of nice to keep a good trainer jet around for those days when you would rather not fly your heavy metal. I have flown my Facet 2300 at my local grass field when all the other club members wouldn't even unload their prop planes because they thought it was too windy.
Old 07-06-2007, 03:19 PM
highhorse
My Feedback: (2)

Received 94 Likes on 50 Posts

ORIGINAL: Helijet

O.K.

Usually I don't get involved in these type of discussions because it all depends on what a jet modeler is looking for in a trainer. I'll put in my two cents worth ...because I am done building tonight and feel like typing!

If you plan on eventually moving up to heavier, more complex aircraft then the BVM BobCat / Kingcat will give you the basics that you will need. If you plan on just flying a light weight throw around " hot air " powered plank, then the Boomerang or Reaction 54 will suit you well. If you like the traditional build, the Reaction is perfect....want to get in the air quickly....then get the Boomerang. Want to eventually fly delta designs ( ie F15, 16, 18 ) .... then startoff with the Rookie.

It all depends on what you plan on flying AFTERWARDS.

Happy Landings

Dean Wichmann
www.helijet.ca
www.pstna.com
Absolutely. Well put. Never met Dean, but he's brilliant.
Old 07-07-2007, 01:09 AM
Boomerang1

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I bought a Baby Boomerang because I liked the fact that with the top off I could see all these scary new gizmos doint their things when I started the turbine.
Surprisingly J. Dunker is the only person to bring up accessability of all the unfamiliar gizmos. This & good access to the engine when starting & when putting out the fire when (not if!) you make a mistake fuelling or starting. I have often seen models with a fully enclosed engine & pipe catch fire & the first indication is the paint blistering [X(] Perhaps this sort of model is best left till turbine operarion becomes second nature. Really, if you want to fly turbines you should be a good, not average, pilot.

A friend has a baby Boomerang & it was stable & easy to fly even when staggering around on the lousy thrust of a Jet Joe engine. Now, with a P-70 & big foam tires it pounds in & out of our rough grass strip all day. - John.
Old 07-07-2007, 03:01 AM
Hawkflyer

Hi John
Where in Sydney do you fly I was thinking of getting a boomerang or Jetmach myself but I cant fly it at my local club.
Cheers Tony

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.