Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Taurus 52c engine worth $679??????

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 07:43 PM
Tennwalker41-delete
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taurus 52c engine worth $679??????

Lookin for a cost effective 50 cc gasser for Giant Ucando. Alternatives?? Everyone says theres is the best. THe TRUTH nothing but the TRUTH folks. Whats the opinions??
Old 07-17-2007, 07:49 PM
tkg
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Taurus 52c engine worth $679??????

You used truth and opinion in the same post, aint gonna work.
I have a TS52 and am very satisfied with it. Havent tried any of the offshore engines.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:05 PM
closetguy
My Feedback: (13)

TennWalker 41,i have two gals. through my 52 it has never tried to dead stick on me.it is the smoooothest gas engine i ever had,strong midrange,great power i get low 7000 on a xora 22-8
it's a farely wide prop and so fare i like it the best.pulls the snot out of a 15-1/2 lb. plane.
the only thing i would suggest is to put a Bosch spark plug cap on it. i have two da50's and a mvvs 45 and they can not compare with the Taurus 52,one great engine and my next gasser will be a 52.there are guy's reporting 7500-7700 on some 22-8 props.
ENJOY!
Old 07-17-2007, 08:21 PM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have one as well. I can truthfully say it's the best and most powerful normally aspirated 50cc engine on the market. That's with only stock mufflers. I haven't found a need to use cans yet but if I did the little powehouse would be stronger still. As to it's worth, well that's another issue altogether. I don't believe that any 50cc engine made by anybody is worth over $400.00 at the far outside. A fair number of them aren't worth more than $150.00.

It comes down to whether or not you're willing to pay the price the manufacturer has set for their product. If you were only comparing the Taurus to engines of comparable cost like DA, ZDZ, and 3w then I would have to say yes, it's worth it.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:31 PM
Tennwalker41-delete

Dang thats good to hear. I just sold a brand new DA50 and u couldnt give me another let alone me pay that much for it. How long have u had it. How is the customer service. I called today and talked to the fella about it and after a short discussion he asked me point blank if i was goin to place an order or not. That was really to my liking. I dont buy under pressure or nonsense. It sounds like a good engine. DO u think it makes more power than a DA50 or the MVVS 45?? thanks lookn forward to hearing what others say.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:35 PM
Tennwalker41-delete

Silver i fully agree with that $400 worth statement and the $150 statement. I would have ordered the Taurus today if it was $400. I doubt the components inside r cost that much more. I considered the DL50 but the only warranty they offer is it will start when u get it. UHHUH yea right.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:45 PM
Jake Ruddy
My Feedback: (40)

I would say it's a good strong, smooth engine. Its the smoothest out there in this class and possibly the strongest.

Personally the repair time is a bit slow if you have a problem and you will pay shipping both ways on top of the repair.

There are other options out there that are powerful and less money It's no secret I am a big Brillelli supporter and for good reason. Great prices and strong engines wth awesome customer support. Owned 4 of them and couldn't be happier. I haven't played with the 50, but I had 2 46s, a 26, the 54 (prototype for the 60) and now run a 60.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:50 PM
Tennwalker41-delete

I talked with Scott a few weeks ago he sure is a nice guy. I cant get over that mounting system he uses though. Tell me ur views on the mounting.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:59 PM
Jake Ruddy

Well.. the 46 and the 50 are rail mounted... can't get around that for that design, however he has come out with a super lite set of rails which helps greatly.

The 60 is standoffs.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:01 PM
Tennwalker41-delete

Sinergy have u got Scotts # i wanna talk with him again.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:09 PM
Jake Ruddy

www.brillelli.com 320.249.7420
Old 07-17-2007, 09:10 PM
3d-aholic
My Feedback: (7)

Unfortunately, currently theres really no reason to buy a 50cc motor.....

The Brillilli 60 costs less than $679, has 20% more cubes, weighs the same or less AUW than a Taurus and I'm confident seeing mine run next to several DA50's will outpull any 50cc out there.

My opinion.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:24 PM
Tired Old Man

In answer to an earlier question about quality, reliability and customer service issues for Taurus.

I've had mine since about August last year and am quite pleased with it. I had a small problem with the ignition timing when it arrived but a few minutes making a simple adjustment cured that. The Taurus has the easiest timing ring to work with I've ever seen.

The engine case is machined from bar stock, making it stronger than anything else we are seeing right now. The top end is all Mahle from Germany, one of the best there is. It's a three bearing design, not a two bearing cantilever, making it somewhat smoother in vibration levels. The carb is a simple to tune Walbro. You're provided enough Stihl two stroke oil for two gallons of a 50-1 mix. Ignition is a true CH Syncro Spark.

As for power, I have not yet found another 50cc engine that will spin a Menz 22-8 at 7,500 rpm out of the box. Even the DA is lucky to hit 7,200 after a full break in. I've run a few other props, including an MSC 22-8 super wide blade prop and the higher power output has been across the board with every propeller and size used. Available torque and thrust levels are outstanding!

You can absolutely buy cheaper, but I answered the questions asked. I don't believe you can buy better.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:41 PM
Jake Ruddy

Well.. like I said its the smoothest out there and one of the most powerful.

However... the one I had and sold to a buddy I fly with all the time is now back for the 3rd time. Each time it has been back for 2 weeks until a call is made asking the status and the common response is.. yes I will be getting to it in the next day or 2.

Quality is great and all.. but his customer service is lacking... and Tenn said he had called asing questions about the product.. and finally met with a "are you going to placee an order or not".

Sorry but not the best way to sell a product let alone service it.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:49 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

Never had or seen a Taurus in person but have heard from many happy users....Im sure its a great engine

Had 2 DA 50's.....they are history...now I have 2 Brillelli 60's! Scott is a stand up guy..
Old 07-17-2007, 09:59 PM
Jake Ruddy

I must point out the post also requests alternatives... the Taurus is the most expensive 50cc on the market. For $100 less you can have a 60 that is as strong if not stronger and have better customer service.

I have owned a Taurus, 3w 50, Brison 3.2 and played with DAs and ZDZs so its not like I am speaking without knowledge.. played with them and couldn't be happier with my B 60. The reasons are simple, idles like a champ, never a dead stick at very low idles with sudden 3D slams or dead stick in general, greta power, lite, great price, and awesome customer service. I personally feel its the best in it's class and for good reason

I don't know of a single person who has taken a "chance" and regretted it... sure the odd initial issue the odd time but always sorted out quickly.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:11 PM
Tennwalker41-delete

The more i think about it and hear i think i am goin with Scotts 366. Whaaaaat is the 366 tachin in the real world?? I already called Scottt but i guess he has knocked off for the day lool..
Old 07-17-2007, 10:16 PM
3d-aholic

When I was shopping I was sure I didn't want a DA--too much hype. Their customer service is TOO good. My friends aren't flying theirs, they have them at DA for service.

I almost bought a Taurus...I think it probably is the most powerful "50cc" out there. But I did have problems when companies are so embarrassed about their price that they won't post them. It makes me relunctant about the price. Even when I called for the price, its like they didn't want to give it to me. They had to talk with me first and work me up to the price. Finally after the 15 minute sales pitch on the phone and I was about to hang up, they reluctantly gave me the price. A lot of money for 300 extra RPM's and having the most powerful 50cc out there. I started looking for used ones...but theres not a lot out there and folks are typically trying to recoup their expense. You might try and see if their are any listed. I only saw one the entire time I was looking and it didn't look like a good deal.

So I know why your worried about the price.....I went through it myself and I could never justify it. I wanted power but weight was also important and I really wanted something that cost no more than a DA 50 since that is supposedly the industry leader and thus should have the best price/performance ratio. You know if you show up at the field with something other than a DA50 and folks ask you how much did it cost and it costs more than a DA50, they are going to ask you why? You can try and convince them its more powerful than a DA50 but lets face it, they probably are not going to believe you even if its true.

Its not a bad decision but I think you can get the same power at the same weight for less $$$'s...and thats ultimate the bottom line question you are asking.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:17 PM
3d-aholic

ORIGINAL: Tennwalker41

The more i think about it and hear i think i am goin with Scotts 366. Whaaaaat is the 366 tachin in the real world?? I already called Scottt but i guess he has knocked off for the day lool..
Email him.
You never know.
He emails me back at like 12:00 midnight sometimes.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:23 PM
Tennwalker41-delete

The folks at DA are very nice and helpful but their engines dont run well enough for me. I had a 50 for 3 weeks and that was enough. I will say Scott is the nicest person i ever talked to and he never tryed to sell me a thing. Whats his email or can i get it at the site. Thanks yall i feel like i made a few freinds.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:32 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: Tennwalker41

Lookin for a cost effective 50 cc gasser for Giant Ucando. Alternatives?? Everyone says theres is the best. THe TRUTH nothing but the TRUTH folks. Whats the opinions??
Can't pass on this thread. I currently own (2) 50 size engines, a DA-50 and the Taurus. I bought my Taurus last winter because of the way one runs at a local field and the comments Silversurfer made about his last year. Mine runs pretty much like SS's but maybe a bit stronger. To be fair, it wasn't very strong for most of the first gallon then the performance just sort of exploded. For the RPM counters, it turns a Zoar 22-8 at over 7500, quickly getting on towards 7600. My DA can't match that but it is close. The Taurus has less vibration at any speed compared to the DA and I really like my DA too. The DA always runs very well also with few of the so called common DA problems.

As for cost, the $679 includes a very high quality wrap around muffler and shipping to your door. Can't match that with a DA ....you'll have over $700 in any DA-50 with WA muffler. As for Taurus service, I don't know yet. Have not needed any and unless something quirky happens to the Taurus, can't imagine what could go wrong. Would be curious to know what went wrong with your's Sinergy. Can't say the same about the DA .... have owned two DA's and both have been back for service once.

Would I buy another Taurus ...... YES, regardless of price. Buy another DA-50? .... Probably not. Have considered the Chinese engines and would strongly consider the 3mm, can't get excited about the DL. Brillelli 50 or 60 engines are always considered and you can't match their support on this forum. Have to consider a Ralph G-62 conversion also. So many good choices .........

Old 07-17-2007, 10:33 PM
Jake Ruddy

Mine is turning a Xoar 23x8 warm at 6800-6900 with a 3 or 4 gallons through it.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:36 PM
Tired Old Man

I can't even begin to argue that they're aren't some really good low cost engines out there. Time will provide their durability. If you're budget minded then the upper end engines are definately not in your choice of selections. As for customer service, it's a double edged sword. I haven't had a need for customer service from anybody since I can do most of my own work if needed. Bent a crank once and that was sent to RC Ignitions and I'm still most happy with the results. OTH, super customer service was developed because there was a NEED for super customer service. That says a lot about a product (not good) by itself. On the up side it does say that the manufacturer cares enough about the customer to take care of him.

Taurus ain't the quickest I've heard here in this forum, mostly from only one person, but I'll soon find out. I just sent mine back because of a crash where the head was beat up pretty good. I requested a new head and piston assembly if that's what it would have took to match it up well. Bill at Taurus requested that I send the entire engine back so he could look through the whole thing and better match up components. He told me he would turn it around within a day or so of receiving it. If that happens I'll have no complaints.

Perhaps the turn around time issue is in the method of approach?
Old 07-17-2007, 10:38 PM
Tennwalker41-delete

I was tryin to find a contact # for RCIGN1 but he doesnt have a pm or email address. Anyone know how to contact him>>
Old 07-17-2007, 10:43 PM
Jake Ruddy

There will be a full RCU review on the B-60 probably posted next Monday.

As far as my experiences with the T-52... I cant remember why it went in near the end of last season... something with the carb I believe. It went in again a couple of months ago for a breaking up issue at full throttle. Acted like the battery was low (tested all that.. wasn't the issue). Sat there for 2 weeks until a call came in looking for it and the it was fixed a couple days later.. there was a break in the grounding somewhere ( my buddy has it now so I didn't see the bill for the actually wording). Then it came back and 3 or 4 mins into the first flight again it has the same problem. It's now sitting there again.

I am more irriated with the customer service / repair time. The orig muffler broke as well.. so my buddy called to get one of those.. Bill was busy and said he would call back. My Buddy waited a day and of course he had to call back again just to get the order placed. Although my buddy hasn't said it to me.. I am sure he is regretting getting the engine from me and that bothers me... so its a combination of a lot of things really.

DA is expensive but they atleast have great cusomer service

The method of approach the first 2 times was calling to let him know it was coming in... then waiting 2 weeks with hearing nothing and asking for an update. Last time Bill told him he would get right on it... it only had maybe 10 or 15 flights since the last time it was in.... that didn't happen.

As far durability for the "cheaper" engines.. there are some out there that I cant believe the prices and wonder the same. But I can tell you I put 23 gallons on the prototype for the 60 (just a different piston and head) in 3 months without a hiccup and when it went back for an inspection it pasted with flying colors... came back to me and I flew it a few more galllons.. then got the 60 jug and piston because it would confuse people when I talked about a 54 that didn't exist That same bottom half of the engine has just shy of 30 gallons with no bearing issues or anything of the sort.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.