Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Grandson starting out

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 06:48 AM
outdoorhunting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grandson starting out

Hope somebody can help> I fly nitro planes,& my grandson just got a nitro car which I know nothing about. What monthly mag would you suggest for me to subscribe to for both of us. He's 15 & is not mechanically inclined, but is a fast learner! Thanks!!!
Old 07-20-2007, 07:07 AM
fat1

Default RE: Grandson starting out

I've always liked RC Driver and extreme R/C. 7-8 years RC Car action was a good mag but I don't know about nowadays.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:53 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A lot of the pain of learning Nitro cars is the well...Nitro part. Which you should be able to help him with since its basically the stuff you know and love about nitro aircraft engines. Learning to drive an RC car is far easier than a plane of course, you can just get it started and mess around.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:11 PM
annie_himself

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RC Driver, XTreme RC, and R/C Cars are my favorite. RC Car Action has alot of info but too many ads and stuff.
Old 07-21-2007, 11:52 AM
ob1n
My Feedback: (14)

I like RC Cars and RC Driver the best. It is true that nitro will be harder to "follow"....particularly since you admitted that your grandson is not mechanically inclined. I realized that you also said he is a fast learner......but, will he "stick with it" if the going gets tough?

From personal experience of 25 years of Cars/Trucks......I started with electric(I admit, they didn't have many Nitro choices then) and I am glad it was my only option. I am a auto tech by trade.....so internal combustion engines are easy for me, and I got my first Nitro last year. I actually had an airplane myself 10 years ago.....but, I can truly say that Nitro on the ground and in the air are the same......yet different! I've known guys that have gotten YEARS(as many as 15 to 20) of service from their Nitro airplane engine.....a very few people that have gotten over 2-3 years of service from their Nitro in their Car/Truck. And if they've gotten more than that, they'll plainly admit, it doesn't "get up and go" like it used to.....but some have had good luck with boats!

If he has a really persistent attitude and likes challenges...then a Nitro is something he'll enjoy. If he tends to like things "plug and play", then electric will be his favorite. If he does, however, want to learn something in the process......but still likes things easy.....I recommend a kit(Tamiya/Kyosho brand). He'll be more mechanically adept after building it(perhaps you can help and learn too?).

I am sorry if I've made this into a Nitro vs. Electric showdown.....but, when you asked,"which monthly mag do you suggest"....the first thing that came to my mind was this......

Every month when I read through the magazines(and here on the forums)......it NEVER fails that someone is asking about Nitro troubleshooting problems. I have seen some questions about electric.....but very small in comparison to Nitro questions and articles about tuning, troubleshooting, etc..

I hope this helps in finding something that can be a rewarding/lasting relationship of fun! Hopefully, you get something as well.....and race?! Come on.....you're not gonna let some young whipper snapper disrepect you, are ya?!

Ob1n of RCU