Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

fishing line for pull-pull?

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

fishing line for pull-pull?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2002, 08:37 PM
woodscra
My Feedback: (23)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fishing line for pull-pull?

Has anyone tried using fishing line, monofilament for a pull-pull rudder on a 27% size plane with a 3.2 gas? Can anyone give me advice as to if this would work, if so how well does it last, what are the weaknesses?

I am thinking of using 50 lb test line.

Thanks for your help.
Old 02-24-2002, 09:16 PM
snsmith
My Feedback: (5)

Don't use monofilament, as it can stretch. The high-tech lines like Spiderwire (Spectra) or Powerbraid (Kevlar) will work better, but I think you want more than 50lb test. Spiderwire comes in 80lb test and up to 200lbs "Big Water" (whatever that means...I'm not a fisherman).

As an alternative, I've used nylon coated steel leader line before and it comes up to 120lb test. I think it's easier to work with since you can simply loop it and use crimp sleeves and it doesn't have the nick sensitivity of filament.

I've bought both of these items online at www.tackletogo.com with no problems.
Old 02-24-2002, 10:15 PM
woodscra

Default pull-pull

Thanks. I have tried that Spider stuff, it looks braided, and that it would not stretch, but it likes to slip out of the little metal tube that is provided by Dubro pull -pull that you crimp down. Should I just run it through a few times instead of just once?

Do you know where I can buy just the small, hard metal tube that gets crimped in the Dubro pull-pull?

Any secrets you know to securing the Spider line in pull-pull?

Thanks
Old 02-24-2002, 10:38 PM
bpryor
My Feedback: (45)

Default Pull-pull cable and fasteners

Hi woodsra,

I agree with snsmith on the leader line. I've used that on 40% planes with good luck. On under 33% planes I've also used the Dubro pull-pull cable with good luck.

As far as cable ends, I love the Nelson ends. There is no wrapping or crimping involved. They are the simplest to install, won't fail and work perfectly. www.nelsonhobby.com

I just checked and they're really hard to find on their site. Look under "linkage fittings" then click on the samples link on the right top of the page. Scroll down to the "Heavy Duty Cable Attachments"(the description is in bold). They're part #L125HD, though it says L125 on the page. They're $4.50 for four of them.

BTW, they have several sizes of cable for pull-pull on the same page. $5 for 25'.
Old 02-24-2002, 11:21 PM
woodscra

Default leader

The leader line look slike decent stuff, I am looking at it at the tackletogo site. Do you get the steelon or mono? Which size do you recommend? Which size would fit through the Dubro 4-40 set up?

I checked out Nelson for those links, they look interesting dut say they limit control adjustment to 1/8". I hope that is enough. They have some kind of nylon fitting it appears, would that not strip due to the constant tension on the line?

Thanks, this has been very helpful.
Old 02-24-2002, 11:36 PM
bpryor

Default Nelson connectors

>>They have some kind of nylon fitting it appears,

No, make sure you're looking at the right picture...or maybe it's just the picture quality. The hex part is aluminum and the threaded part and nut are steel. Many people use these on their 40% rudder pull-pull systems. They are plenty strong.

You want the pull-pull to be around 1/32" I believe. I don't remember the exact stuff I bought. I'll see if I can track it down and let you know.

The last stuff I used was BERKLEY Steelon /Nylon coated wire. I've seen guys us 45lb test and others go up to 250. I think 250 is a bit of overkill.

Bill
Old 02-24-2002, 11:54 PM
S D FlyR
My Feedback: (1)

I'm ready to set up my rudder control on a 30% Ult. Isn't there any radio interferance with steel leader cable? Any info will be apreceated. Steve
Old 02-25-2002, 12:02 AM
bpryor

Default Interferance

Nope, not as long as the nylon coating doesn't come off and it starts rubbing against some other metal. This could be an issue if your pull-pull cables are crossed and they are rubbing together and rub the coating off.
Old 02-25-2002, 03:25 AM
snsmith
My Feedback: (5)

woodscra, I use the Steelon. You can buy the crimp sleeves at the same site, but you have to search for "sleeves" and make sure you get the right size for the leader wire you select (I'd go at least 60 lbs for a quarter-scale plane).

For an adjustable implementation, on one or both ends you can use Dubro 4-40 rigging couplers with clevises. To attach the line, I simply loop them through the horn/coulper, align the sleeve and crimp with pliers. For extra security, I put a drop of thin CA in the sleeve to prevent any line slippage.

Although antenna interference should not occur, I'd still keep the antenna as far away as possible. Spiderwire solves this potential problem, but is hard to work with. It doesn't take CA well and I don't tie knots well enough for my comfort...
Old 02-25-2002, 01:19 PM
George in TX

Default How about

the Sullivan pull-pull kit with Kevlar cable? If I remember correctly, it is only about a dollar or so more than their steel cable kit.

If you do use fishing leader material, be sure that the wire is stranded and plastic coated. Steelon and Seven-Strand are two good ones. Under no circumstances should you ever use a single strand wire leader for your control surfaces! Good luck and happy flying.
Old 02-25-2002, 01:45 PM
woodscra

Default good info

This has been very helpful. Thanks guys. I ordered the Berkley Steelon 80 lb wire, 7 strand, with nylon coating, and some sleeves to go with it.

I will look at the Sullivan as well.

Thanks.
Old 02-26-2002, 12:21 AM
WalkerBoh-RCU
My Feedback: (3)

Default My 2 cents

Crimp tubes on spiderwire are a bad idea...too much abrasion. I just used Du-Bro rigging couplers and tied them on like a fishing lure. 1 drop of thin CA and it WILL NOT come loose. This, however, was on a much smaller model (a 50" Christen Eagle)

-Aaron
Old 02-26-2002, 01:08 AM
CAPtain232
My Feedback: (40)

Bill,
I just went to look at the Nelson's hardware. I like the concept of it, however can you tell me if it is considerably heavier than say the Dubro pull-pull set up? Will these fittings work on the Dubro cable, as I have plenty of it?

Jeff
Old 02-26-2002, 01:18 AM
bpryor

Default Nelson hardware

Hi Jeff,

>>however can you tell me if it is considerably heavier than say the Dubro pull-pull set up

I can't give you facts, but I have used the Dubro. My guess would be that it is lighter. The biggest part of the connector is aluminum and the other two parts are very small. I can't imagine it being heavier.

>>Will these fittings work on the Dubro cable

I'm 99.9% sure. I think that's what I did on my AW Edge, but if you want to give me the diameter of the Dubro cable, I'll measure one of the ends and let you know for sure. I'm pretty sure it's the right size cable to work with it.
Old 02-26-2002, 01:47 AM
goatnick
My Feedback: (11)

Pull-Pull system
What I've used with success on 35% planes. Get downrigger stainless cable 7 strand (i bought a 200ft spool for 7.95) I think its 100lb test, Use Berkley crimping sleeves, and I get DU Bro 4-40 rigging couplers #618, Use quick links of your choice to hook to rudder or servo, Run cable thru crimping sleeve at least 2 times before cripping,Get cable and sleeves at fishing outlets,Used for 5 years , no problems