Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

What engines should I be looking at?

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

What engines should I be looking at?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 03:10 PM
N12932

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What engines should I be looking at?

I won a 1.2 giant scale U CAN DO at a club event no too far back but this is the largest plane that im going to be flying to date and Im in need of some advise about what engine I should purchace. I know that i want to go gas but im not sure what i should be looking for in my selection. Any advise would be welcome. Thanks
Old 08-01-2007, 03:52 PM
andy86na
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: What engines should I be looking at?

30-40cc gasser should do. You may waht to chek out Brilelli web site.
Old 08-01-2007, 04:00 PM
N12932

Thanks.
Is there anything that i should be specificaly looking for in my engine choice?
Old 08-01-2007, 06:39 PM
altavillan
My Feedback: (1)

A converted echo 45cc or 50cc fits the stock engine mount. It has mounting lugs like a glow engine. I believe a call to Brilleli might land you one.

Next choice would be ZDZ40. \
3rd choice would be DL50. } All are rear carb and will be a pain to mount.
4th choice would be Evolution 45. /

Don't spend a lot of money on it unless you get stuff to put in a better plane later on. The huge thick wing overpowers the plane and gets boring after a while. In witch case put a good light 50cc engine in it, throw away the cowl and fly the thing to death.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:26 PM
skreamer
My Feedback: (5)

I like the DL50 on my giant u-can do. The power to weight ratio is excellent. The rear carb was not a problem to mount the engine. And it fit in the cowl just fine so no need to throw it away. The only mod I had to do to mount the engine was to remove the triangle stock on one side of the firewall so that the engine mounts sat flush. The DL has a better power to weight ration thatn any of the above listed engines and would be my first choice. See pictures of plane with DL50 on DLusa.net Godd luck no matter what the choice.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:33 AM
tstotts

A lot of choices out there for engines. A lot depends on your budget. There are a number of options available to you in that size range starting from under $300 and most of them are very reliable. Personally I think good support is probably the most important thing to consider. I agree the echo conversions are a good choice and Brilleli is known for good support and from the ones I have seen they offer good power and are dependable. If you can afford the higher end engines like the DA that can be a good choice also.