Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

How often to oil shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 12:39 PM
TheJedi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How often to oil shocks?

How often should I be oiling my shocks? I have a buggy and a NTC3. It seems on of my rear shocks on the tc3 has lost a lot of rebound is this due to a dirty shock/low oil?
Old 08-06-2007, 12:42 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: How often to oil shocks?

Could be...I race so the state of my shocks is very important to me. Even if they seem ok, I rebuild them every two or three race meetings at the most. Some will rebuild them every meeting, but I believe if you do it right the first time, this is not necessary.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:45 PM
TheJedi

Is there a how-to somewhere on rebuilding them? By rebuild to you mean disassemble and oil, replace parts if necessary?
Old 08-06-2007, 12:56 PM
Foxy

Well, replacing just the oil is not always as easy as that, the bladders sometimes need to be replaced, and any other 'consumables' that are included in the shocks, such as bladder foams, inserts (different brands, different consumables), etc. There's no guide, it should be obvious what needs to be done. I just disassemble them, remove all the oil, clean them up, replace anything that needs to be replaced, refill and reassemble. It's one of the things I HATE in this hobby, but it has to be done.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:00 PM
TheJedi

What oil would you recommend for my cars ( or is this one of those trial and error for your personal driving style things )? I figured it would be a straight forward deal other than any special procedures for adding oil and making sure it has good bound/rebound.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:05 PM
Foxy

Depends on the car, the track and the springs...mostly the track... do you work on european weights (200, 250, 300, 350 etc.)? Or US weights (25, 30, 35, 40 etc.)?

Anyway, I'd recommend for a base touring car setup with stock two hole pistons and medium to hard springs, 400-500 front, and the next one down for rear (ie if you chose 400 for front, put 350 in the back, if 450, then 400, etc.). To convert euro weights of oils to US, just take a 0 off and add 10, as a very GENERAL rule. Of course as you go lighter the difference is less and as you go heavier the difference is more.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:07 PM
TheJedi

Cool, thanks a lot for your help. Should keep me busy this weekend