Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Dupont Centauri Replacement

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Dupont Centauri Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 08:07 PM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Dupont Centauri Replacement

I used to use Dupont Centauri to finish my glow fuel powerd airplanes but when I switched to gas I changed to oil based paints. Now, oil based paints are getting harder to obtain and I would like to go back to the automotive finishes. Dupont Centauri is no longer available. I would like to stick with Dupont products because one of their dealers is near me. Has anyone had any experience with the Centauri replacement, whatever it is?
Old 08-08-2007, 08:13 PM
SPLIT S

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Dupont Centauri Replacement

If you mean Centari acrylic enamel, it's still on the DuPont website as a current product. PPG's Delstar although not DuPont is a fine acrylic enamel.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:15 PM
SPLIT S

I see you are from CA. That may be why you may not be able to get it - VOC non-compliance.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:02 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 293 Likes on 250 Posts

I have heard from with California's laws its getting harder to find a lot of things in the paint and chemical area. You may have to exprement a little or check with some of the flyers at the local flyins.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:48 AM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Dupont Centauri is still available here in Sou. Calif.

It is however very-very expensive. Like about $200 per gallon.

It cannot be used on a auto. Thus many auto paint places do not stock it. I used many-many gallons on a street car and a trailer. They do not like it to be sprayed in free air, but there are no know spray booths for a 90 foot long railroad car. So was exempt. But not from paying.

As is now a slow seller, may be difficult in locating the correct tints for your needs.

But still being sold and all of the fluids to reduce and harden it too.

Wm.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:04 AM
All Day Dan

Thanks SPLIT S. Products with high VOCs usually disappear first in California, especially in the LA area, and then sweap east. I tried to get Centauri for non automotive use but to no avail. Dan
Old 08-09-2007, 10:08 AM
All Day Dan

Thanks for the tip CoosBayLumber. I'll make some more phone calls. If I can't find Centauri I'll ask the dealer to recommend a replacement. Dan.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:02 PM
susquach

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might consider going to a base coat/clear coat system. Not familiar with the California regs, but the nasson line (if available) is pobably the best buy. Something to consider is that the system is minimal....no fisheye preventer, reducer or retarder. Get the pigment (base) , clear ("Classic" serves well), hardener (medium also serves well) and a gallon of wash lacquer thinner. BTW, I've used common wash lacquer to cut the base material thousands of times and have never had a problem.....just a suggestion that you give it a try, but note it's not Hoyle.

The system has VERY FEW quiks. The base (pigment) coat will blush (similar to lacquer) if shot in high humidity. However, using a hair dryer or heat gun to fan the surface while shooting should prevent the blushing. Anyway, the blush should disappear when the clear coat is applied. The clear will fisheye if the surface has any hand oil or stray silicon on it. But, a light scuffing of the base with ScotchBright and using surgical gloves ought to prevent related problems.

The clear is super friendly to shoot. It does take a minute or two to "level" but it's easy to develope a feel for hjust how much material to apply. Too much makes a heavy paint job....just enough will provide adequate protection with a glassy surface. If you have shot PPG clears then Nasson Classic will be very familiar. A technical Rep ought to be able to answer any questions about the system. You might also check with anyone doing motorcycle custom gas tanks or hotrod finishes for suggestions on other materials.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:09 PM
All Day Dan

Thanks SUSQUACH, I have heard of the Nasson Classic before. I don't know if it is avaiable around me in the Los Angeles area. My dealer has Dupont Chroma One and Chroma Base. I may be stuck with these and will have to learn how to use them. Dan
Old 08-11-2007, 08:59 AM
BBW Walt
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: DAN REISS

Thanks SUSQUACH, I have heard of the Nasson Classic before. I don't know if it is avaiable around me in the Los Angeles area. My dealer has Dupont Chroma One and Chroma Base. I may be stuck with these and will have to learn how to use them. Dan
You may consider Chroma one single stage. Its an acrylic urethane that sprays similar to Centari. It uses an activator 7005 and a reducer. No need for a clear top coat and it lays out very nice. Been using it for years, just another possible option..Walt
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40255.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	739910   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26050.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	739911  
Old 08-11-2007, 09:05 AM
CoosBayLumber

Sas...

I live in an area of Sou. Calif. that has population of about 2 1/2 million. Only know of one store that handles Nasson. Whereas there are five which handle Dupont, and about twenty that handle S-W. Perhaps in the mentality of In and Out body shops, they find the Nasson too much trouble to batch up on a whim for a customer and thus is not handled. Which is why it is not used for simple fender benders.

Overall, I think most paints too expensive anyway, and I have been spraying on the stuff for more than twenty years. And I flat do not like to visit the stores due to sticker shock.
"You sure that is the cost per can?" Sheeesh, last time here it was...."

Wm.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:35 AM
All Day Dan

Thanks for the images. The finish is just what I am looking for. My dealer carries the Chroma One. It is what I will try first. Dan.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:37 AM
All Day Dan

I know what you mean by sticker shock. That is why I was using oil based paints. However, if they are yanked off the shelves I will have to switch. Dan
Old 08-11-2007, 03:21 PM
SPLIT S

Another reason that the enamels are becoming a little more difficult to obtain ( automotive wise ) is that they really don't have much of a place within the modern collision industry. The rule is base/clear when in comes to car finishes ( Chroma Base-DuPont, Deltron-PPG, AutoBase-Sikkens, Diamont-BASF ). I manage an autobody jobber store and we have been toying for the last couple of years whether it is worth it or not to keep the enamel lines. Imagine what I pay to keep 50-60 gallons on the mixing machine plus backers for all those tints that just sit there....

Dan
Old 08-11-2007, 03:44 PM
susquach

SplitS sure nuff understands the logistics of stocking 3, 4 or more systems....mucho investmento.

Another approach that works about as well as other systems...but is about as inexpensive as paint can be, is to shoot lacquer primer/filler over glass....base pigment of white (ie) Rustoleum flat, rattle can color trim then automotive clear coat of your choice to top things off. The color coats need'nt be fuel proof as the clear will seal things up. That means the only expensive material you have to have is the clear, hardener and some cheapo wah lacquer for cleanup.

Probably the most universal colors: Red, white and blue (MonoKote) can be very closely matched with Krylon.
Old 08-11-2007, 07:40 PM
SPLIT S

Just for the record it's NINE systems........[X(]

Dan
Old 08-12-2007, 02:55 PM
susquach

Ouch.[:@]
Old 08-12-2007, 08:04 PM
nekked_man_2000

Something I've thought about trying is the "tractor" paint at tractor supply, probably don't have those in California? Anyway they carry 29(I think) different colors of acrylic enamel paint for repainting your old tractor. Lots of shades of red, blue, a couple of "white" shades and black, and of course John deere green and yellow. Anyway sometimes I catch the 1quart cans on sale for 9.99 and 19.99 for the gallons. They don't mix any colors but they sell thinners and hardeners for them, and I think 2 different brands. Also I painted "Shelby" stripes on my '65 Mustang in high school with automotive paint from Sherwin Williams when I was in high school, and it was acrylic enamel also, and I think they still sell it.

Austin
Old 08-12-2007, 10:22 PM
All Day Dan

That's not practical where I live but would probably help someone else. I am 1.5 miles from the beach near Los Angeles. There are no tractors here so I would have little chance in finding tractor paint. It does sound similar to automotive paint though. If I ever come across it I would try it. Dan.