G-62 with rear clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 07:44 PM
semloh
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default G-62 with rear clutch?

Hello

I have aquired a giant scale Cessna 337 in an estate sale. The airframe was junk but everything else was worth keeping. The G-62 that was installed has the normal prop hub on the front but on the rear the crankshaft protrudes out the back of the case and has a centrifigul clutch assembly mounted to it. This assembly drove the rear prop via a long tube with a flexiable drive shaft. I have not dissassembled the enging to see if the crank has been modified or if it is stock, anyone have information on this kind of set-up on the G-62?
Old 08-13-2007, 05:53 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: G-62 with rear clutch?

The engine is most likely a "Red Max" engine. They are made by the same company and are a lot like the Zenoah,
Old 08-13-2007, 08:14 AM
semloh

On the cylinder base the word Zenoa is cast into the engine, can it still be a red max? This morning I took a closer look at what I could see without taking the engine apart. The crankshaft appears to be purpose built, meaning that it does not have the apperence of being a cobbled up afterthought. I have never seen a Zenoa like this before.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:02 AM
arobatx

All stock G62s have the extended crankshaft out the back. Clutches are used on them for chainsaw installations, or motorized scooters, spring starters and electric starters for our hobby...etc. All I am thinking is what a COOL idea for a Skymaster! Do you have any pictures you can share or have you already 'filed' the stuff not worth saving? In any case, you can remove that clutch from the rear crankshaft if you do not intend to use it. If you wanted to go all out, the engine could also be converted to Electronic Ignition, and that rear portion of the shaft could be cut off, and sealed with a pressed in aluminum plug to lighten it up.

Chad
Old 08-13-2007, 04:35 PM
semloh

Chad,

Thanks for your reply. I have "filed" the airframe etc... I have owned several DA's and 3W's but never a Zenoa. I understand the G-62 has a good rep for reliability?? I was thinking of putting it up for sale but maybe I will save it for a future project. I think I will take the crank out and machine off the excess, just a bit past the bearing race so that it still has full support of the bearing then fabricate an aluminum plate to cover the back. The engine needs to be dissassembled for cleaning up anyway so it gives me a good reason to do it.

Arnold Holmes
Old 08-13-2007, 04:52 PM
arobatx

Hey Arnold,

The G62s are popular among some crowds, and unpopular among others. Their quality, reliablility and longevity are undeniable, some think they are quite heavy compared to the new lightweight 50s that are not on mag ignition...etc. You know how that goes. Basically, these things have been around for a very long time, and have proven themselves to be considered for just about any project, as lightening and converting to EI are viable options when weight is a concern. It sounds like you are comfortable with machine work, with little work, you could greatly improve the power to weight and have some guys going 'hmmmmmmm'
Old 08-13-2007, 06:15 PM
semloh

Arobatx,

Thanks for the good info, I think I will keep it for a giant scale Cub that I have plans for. 144" span, might be a good fit. Have any good sources for a user/overhaul manual for the G-62?

Arnold
Old 08-13-2007, 06:53 PM
gboulton
My Feedback: (15)

Arnold,

THE guy to ask about ANYTHING G-62 related is Ralph Cunningham. While he is no longer frequenting these forums, he's active on his own site's forums, which you may find at http://www.rcignitions.com/forum/index.php

Register there, and post your question...if Ralph doesn't know the answer, it's unanswerable.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:12 AM
arobatx

Listen to gboulton, there is no better source than Ralph on this topic. If you don't want to use the forum, here is his other contact information:

Ralph Cunningham
RC Ignition
1783 Whitehall
Williams, AZ 86046
928-635-2455
Email Address: [email protected]
Homepage: www.rcignitions.com