Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

G-26 help!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 04:22 PM
kelldog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default G-26 help!!!!!!!

Hope every one has had a great flying season so far! I'm just starting out being to busy.My g-26 ran like a clock last fall.Started right up sunday after sitting awile.However she dies out as I try to give her throttle. Have new gas.Does not sputter as if to rich,rather just start's to die out until the throttle is lowerd,then resumes a perfect idle. Sound's like something is clogged after sitting,or something is starving her for fuel. Do any of you guy's have any suggestions of where to look first. Thankyou for any suggestion's!!!!!!! KELLDOG
Old 08-13-2007, 05:09 PM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: G-26 help!!!!!!!

It's not uncommon for the pump diaphram to dry out and not pump fuel correctly after sitting for a while. There is also a very fine mesh screen on the same side of the carb that could be plugged. It could be the high needle is out of adjustment

Take the plate off the carb on the side where the fuel line goes into it. There will be a gasket and a diaphram there. The diaphram is actually the pump. Once you remove the diaphram right where the fuel inlet comes into the carb there is a hole and in that hole is a very fine mesh screen. Use something very small and remove that screen and clean it out.

It would not hurt to replace the pump diaphram at the same time. On the side of the carb is the model number, probably a WT26. There is a guy on ebay that sells rebuilt and gasket kits for the Walbro carbs dirt cheap and then are in the original Walbro package and cost about $6.00US plus shipping which is normal US postal mail

It could simpoly be that the needles need set. Open both to two full turns and start the engine. I will run fough and see if it goes to full throttle, which will be rough at best, then start leaning the high needle until max rpm then back it off about 200 rpm, then lean the low needle until it will not transition any longer ten richen the low needle 1/8 to 1/16 turn
Old 08-13-2007, 08:34 PM
kelldog

bubbagates,Thanks for the reply. But a hr. ago on my front lawn after work figure on given it a shot of given the high speed screw a full turn "before" starting to ripping in to her. Obviously needing more gas from the symptoms. RAN LIKE A BAT OUT OF HELL!!!!!!!!! Go figure . A whole turn richer after just sitting. Up or down could not make a hickup for two full tanks. So much for the theory of not having to tweak gas motors. Do want to still do what you suggested as that is why I probably had to richen her so much. Wonder once the diaphram get's a little flexed in it after running once again that it will start to get to rich after my adjustment. Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! KELLDOG

Old 08-13-2007, 08:44 PM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad you got it worked out and as you said, it's probably not a bad idea to replace the diaphram anyway
Old 08-14-2007, 01:37 PM
Dr1Driver

A whole turn richer after just sitting.

That simply reinforces what bubbagates said. Barring carb problems, you shouldn't need to touch the needles for several seasons. You have a clogged carb or an old diaphragm. Either will eventually crash your plane by causing the engine to quit at JUST the wrong time. Don't trust a diaphragm that's dried out once. Also, you're ASSUMING it's a dry diaphragm. If it's a clogged filter screen, it'll turn around and bite you. Trust me, I know (the hard way). Rebuild the carb before you lose the plane.

Dr.1
Old 08-14-2007, 07:10 PM
kelldog

Heh! My wife has a old diaphragm and trust me it still works!!!!!! Why the heck did this one go bad in a year.Thank's for the info but will try to fit her's in there for good modeling sake.We have them laying around all over the place. Kelldog