Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

K&N ar filters

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 04:36 PM
jgeck90

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&N ar filters

hello, im fed up with newbs asking about the K&N air filter (breather) and i contacted K&N they said it should work for a air filter on our model engines, i serched and found nothing does anyone know where i can find a thread? and has anyone had bad expierence with one? if so post here so i can send it to them
jeff
Old 08-16-2007, 05:18 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: K&N ar filters

It comes up from time to time, there are a few try another search. Anyway, they are pointless, for a 1/8th off roader or monster truck, the mugen single stage foam filter is unbeateable. Send them a link to this post if you want.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:58 AM
jkdv8
My Feedback: (1)

what foxy said. unless they make a foam one. the paper ones are crap for nitro rc.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:10 PM
ssj2

ORIGINAL: jkdv8

what foxy said. unless they make a foam one. the paper ones are crap for nitro rc.
Yep, I've heard a lot of people say they actually let more than air through their filters into the carb which is never good. That's why most people use them on show trucks for looks. I would use a foam one with a pre-filter if you really want to be safe.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:09 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

More air is good but they all so allow more dirt to get in, which is not good! I run a K&N on my Harley but I do not run it in the dirt. I would never run a K&N on my RC vehicles.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:01 PM
SManMTB

They coould possibly be good for on-road but complete crap for off-road use.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:18 PM
Neil E

Did you search the Monster Truck forums?
Old 08-17-2007, 03:21 PM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: SManMTB

They coould possibly be good for on-road but complete crap for off-road use.
No good for on-road cos of weight and size. Too big and heavy for a 1/10th, and would stick up way too high on a lola 1/8th body.
Old 08-18-2007, 02:57 PM
jgeck90

i serched all the forums for K&N then K&N air filters and found nothing, but i'll send them this link.
Jeff
also i will let you guys know what they say.
Old 08-18-2007, 03:22 PM
IARacer

They are superior filters for their INTENDED use, but since the applications they are intended for do not call for filtration of very, very fine particles, they do not work well for our R/C applications.
Reason being, our R/C engines are incredibly sensitive to very fine particles. 1/1000" of wear is a ton of wear for a piston that is 1/2" across, however 1/1000" of wear on a piston that is 2" or 3" across is basically negligible, especially one that has rings and an actual oil system.
Old 08-18-2007, 03:26 PM
46u

I have a good idea what they are going to say as is any manufactory going to say any of their products are not any good? But yes let us know. I did a search and found these. I know this has been discussed many times and the search on here is not the best.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_32...tm.htm#3284698

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_61...tm.htm#6132229

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_55...tm.htm#5507437

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_57...tm.htm#5740037

And there is more but you get the idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They are good for what they are made for but not off road RC and the filters they sell as RC filters are nothing but 1 to 1 crank case breather filters. Try one and let us know how long your engine last.
Old 08-18-2007, 04:12 PM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: IAMammothST

They are superior filters for their INTENDED use, but since the applications they are intended for do not call for filtration of very, very fine particles, they do not work well for our R/C applications.
Reason being, our R/C engines are incredibly sensitive to very fine particles. 1/1000" of wear is a ton of wear for a piston that is 1/2" across, however 1/1000" of wear on a piston that is 2" or 3" across is basically negligible, especially one that has rings and an actual oil system.
Yes, that goes without saying, it's the first mod I do to any full scale car. K&N 57i kit.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:46 AM
jgeck90

ok they replied here is what they said.lol it dont make much sence to me.

Dear Jeff,

I don’t think the thread came across in the e-mail. Is “K&N air filter ruin nitro RDC engine†being said by the web sites selling the filters or over forums?

Look forward to hearing from you and thank you for choosing K&N,

James Johnston

Customer Support & Technical Representative,

K&N Engineering, Inc.

[email protected]

Phone: (800) 858-3333
Old 08-21-2007, 01:39 AM
46u

ORIGINAL: traxxas_man_05

ok they replied here is what they said.lol it dont make much sence to me.

Dear Jeff,

I don’t think the thread came across in the e-mail. Is “K&N air filter ruin nitro RDC engine†being said by the web sites selling the filters or over forums?

Look forward to hearing from you and thank you for choosing K&N,

James Johnston

Customer Support & Technical Representative,

K&N Engineering, Inc.

[email protected]

Phone: (800) 858-3333

If you are not convinced then I recommend you run one and make up your own mind. Just make sure you have a spare engine.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:57 PM
IBrakeForNobody
My Feedback: (16)

ORIGINAL: foxy42

ORIGINAL: IAMammothST

Yes, that goes without saying, it's the first mod I do to any full scale car. K&N 57i kit.
I wouldn't even think about intsalling a K&N on my truck because I go to the dunes way too often to not worry about sand getting into the engine. Only way I'd get a K&N is if I put on an Outerwears prefilter/cover on it.