Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

22 X 10 Pro Zinger Almost Tasted It!

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

22 X 10 Pro Zinger Almost Tasted It!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2003, 05:44 AM
buyrbware
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 22 X 10 Pro Zinger Almost Tasted It!

Its funny how summer weather at first sight makes you do stupid SH*T.. After being couped up inside for the past 5 months, which I spent that time building new projects.. Anyway I recently swaped over to the jr 8103dt My other two planes a edge 540 30% and a tiger II little .40 were rigged out no problem..complete rtf! Well today I found that My Ace Extra 230 30% had its servo reversed, in the mitts of changing radio's I overlooked the throttle operations of this 3.8 hp engine.....

Beautiful weather ..First time in months, I grab the extra and head to the field..

Mistake 1 Arrive at field realizing I forgot my plane stakes

Mistake 2 Decided to start plane anyway, cause it idles beautifully from past experience.

Mistake 3 Did not catch throttle operation with radio turned on, (And all I had to do was look at it)

Mistake 4 Started plane at full throttle to my suprise! 6800 rpm moving at my face within 12"....I had both hands on the wings pushing the plane back as it started over top of me!

Moral - enough said! Please be safe this up and coming summer

Tom
Old 03-16-2003, 06:08 AM
Aerohead
My Feedback: (37)

Default You are one lucky fellow!

That's it for me. In the past I have stupidly started my 100cc planes on several occasions by myself under the same circumstances, even after cautioning other, less experienced modelers about the same thing. After reading this I swear I will never do this again without having the plane staked down securely. Thanks for the heads-up buyrbware. My luck has never been that good. I'd probably have cut my damned head off under the same circumstances. I hope we've both learned a lesson from this one. :surprised
Old 03-16-2003, 07:05 AM
Mike Rojas

Glad to hear you are ok,that had some potentially fatal results.We all seem to get a little complacent sometimes.I hope this turns into one of the most read threads.
Mike
Old 03-16-2003, 07:32 AM
buyrbware

Thanks guys, The only thing that saved my stupid a** today was, While holding the plane off of my chest iwas able to kick the transmitter with my foot...Lucky for me I hit the Throttle stick on the first and only try that I got. That killed the engine...And thats why I am able to type this!

Tom

Old 03-16-2003, 07:55 AM
Wayne22

whew.....I've done that with a little glow engine, but not with a gasser...scarey stuff!!! Thanks for sharing....
Old 03-16-2003, 03:29 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I assume you were not injured. That is good.
I have done that once with my plane but my engine is a lot smaller!
Old 03-16-2003, 05:24 PM
capthis
My Feedback: (67)

Man am I glad I have nevr did anything that dunb before! I make it a rule to have someone hold my gassers when I start them. Having had my fingers in a smaller prop I dang sure don't want them in a Big Prop!