Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Help with cowl cutting

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Help with cowl cutting

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 04:09 AM
flyoz
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with cowl cutting

Hi Guys Ive searched all over and so far found very little.
I have an RV4 and wanted to mount the enginge at a downward angle to have the muffler beneath the plane. so far so good. But 1st snag appears that I would not be able to fit the cowl on unless I drill two holes to enable Muffler to be screwed on after.

There are very very few Pics on the web (that I can find). I know the norm is to show the opposite side for asthetic purposes but does anyone know where I can view various cowl/engine setup pics?

Maybe there is a secret anti photo site for us want to look firsts?
Old 08-26-2007, 05:07 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Help with cowl cutting

Great Planes RV4 ARF?

What engine?

Why not a Pitts muffler?
Old 08-26-2007, 05:35 AM
flyoz

TKS DaRock yes I was thinking of a Pitts Muffler as well.

I also finally found this link which clears a bit of the mystery up
http://www.modelairplanenews.com/ME2...A4BE3B49D50059
Old 08-26-2007, 10:12 AM
Don41

That was an interesting article on cowl cutting however removing the engine head seems a little bizarre and unnecessary (at least to me).

Thanks for the article tip.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:39 PM
micagreenmachin

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually, I like the "removing the head" idea... If your engine allows this (ex. Saito won't work), it's a great idea for a nearly perfect fit on the first try. I'll store that tip in the back of the old 'puter for the next time I need it.

Just be carefull puting it back together and don't get any crud in there.

-Todd
Old 09-08-2007, 05:34 AM
jetmech05

I didn't read the article but removing the head is a bit over board. I use a clear piece of plastic longer than i need to pick up a couple of holes for the cowl, and yet cover the head of the engine. first thing is to tape the plastic to the plane pick up the holes for the cowl. and mark where the head will be.
Remove the plastic, cut out for the head, and drill the holes for the cowl. replace the plastic and check the fit. if ok.
remove the engine...tape the plastic back on where it orginally was, slip the cowl under the taped plastic and secure the cowl and plastic with screws. now you have a template for the engine. Mark where the head will be and cut.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:27 AM
Dr. Bellows

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The best bet is to use a pitts muffler for the GP RV-4. I have an Enya 50 with a Slimline Pitts and only had to cut a hole for a glo- starter.
DB
Old 09-09-2007, 12:00 PM
Don41

On my next cowled in engine I've decided to use a harness that remains attached to the glow plug then run back to an on board battery thru a switch. That would make cutting the glow hole unnecessary.
Old 09-09-2007, 12:35 PM
Jazzy

Like Jetmech05:
I've been using the 'taped strips of cardstock to the fuse' method for a few years now and it works great. Mount engine and muff and tape strips of cardstock to the fuse behind the trailing edge of the cowl wherever an engine part protrudes beyond the cowl or needs to be accessed. Mark the strips appropriately. Remove engine and replace cowl. Lay strips onto cowl. Mark cutout holes. Start with small location holes and slowly open them up in the appropriate directions. Removing an dre-installing the engine several times is usually necessary.

Never removed a head before...