Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

spe 26, how to replace bearings

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 06:04 AM
gpar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spe 26, how to replace bearings

My spe 26 is running great but I´ve noticed some play in the bearings ( about 0.2 mm) when moving the shaft back and for.
In a glow engine this could produce a loss of power or even a dead stick, but as i said this gas engine is performing great.
My questions are :
Should i go on flying it or can i damage the engine ?
How to open the spe 26 to remove the bearings to be replaced ?. Do I have to separate the hub from the crankshaft and how ?
Old 08-31-2007, 09:03 AM
rambo
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: spe 26, how to replace bearings

If it's running good DON'T bother it.I am in the process of rebuilding one of mine right now due to crash damage and i can tell you bearing fit onto the crank is VERY tight.So tight i had to drive one on.I then removed it and used a file and some sand paper to dress down my crank.Keep in mind these were new parts so i don't recomend foolin with it unnecesarily.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:10 AM
arobatx

A slight bit of fore and aft play isn't uncommon, it is side to side play make things interesting
Old 09-26-2007, 02:48 AM
gpar

After more than 200 succesful flights my spe 26 quits two times in flight. Since I haven´t changed anything I'm blaming this play i mention before. The engine was hot right after quitting.
I read in another thread :
"they do use Chinese bearings after all and I've yet to find a single Chinese made model motor that didn't need new bearings within the first few months of operation"
Should I go and replace the bearings ?
Old 09-26-2007, 12:41 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

It's very possible that the engine was running a bit lean hence the dead stick and the seemingly hot condition on landing. Don't go messing with the bearings unless they really need repalcing, as as mentioned before, a bit of fore and aft play of the crank is not uncommon in gassers. Remember glow and gas engines have very little if anything in common.

Karol
Old 09-26-2007, 10:18 PM
mistydee0
My Feedback: (103)

gpar,
You are wrong when you say the Chinese engines all use Chinese bearings. The LS PRO line of engines use Very good quality bearing that come from Japan. And they are not prone to bearing failure.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:25 PM
blackbaron
My Feedback: (92)

ORIGINAL: gpar

After more than 200 succesful flights my spe 26 quits two times in flight. Since I haven´t changed anything I'm blaming this play i mention before. The engine was hot right after quitting.
I read in another thread :
"they do use Chinese bearings after all and I've yet to find a single Chinese made model motor that didn't need new bearings within the first few months of operation"
Should I go and replace the bearings ?

It sounds like to me that your ignition module is failing on you.

It is normal to have a little play inside these engines. Remember that every moving surface inside the engine has a either a ball bearing or needle bearings and for them to work well the engine can't be overly tight.

I have sold hundreds of SPE 26 engines since they had come out and I have never had to replace bearings on any of them yet. I do keep them in stock just in case though.

Old 10-01-2007, 10:36 PM
ncrcnut
My Feedback: (13)

I BOUGHT AN SPE 26 CC 2 WEEKS AGO FROM MAXFORDUSA. I RAN THE ENGINE WITH LAWN BOY OIL. I PUT 8 OZ. TO 1 3/4 GAL. GAS + 2 OZ. OF KLOITS OIL. THE ENGINE PREFORMED WELL BUT WANTED TO RUN WARMER THAN I LIKED SO I ADDED 2 MORE OZ'S. OF KLOITZ OIL & SHE RAN COOLER . OVER A PERIOD OF 3 DAYS I RAN THE ENGINE A TOTAL OF 5 HRS. & PUT ON PLANE. I TRIED RUNNING @ 32 TO 1 RATIO & THE ENGINE RAN VERY WARM. I ADDED MORE OIL & WITH THE ENGINE RUNNING COOLER , I TOOK OFF. I DID NOT GAIN ENOUGH ALTITUDE TO BE SAFE BEFORE THE ENGINE SHUT DOWN, TWICE WHILE RUNNING ON TEST STAND IT QUIT & ONCE IT WAS DUE TO MY SMALL BATTERY GOING DEAD BUT I WENT TO A 5 CELL NI-MI 1000 MAH. BATTERY & THE NEXT TIME IT STOPPED , THE BATT. WAS GHGD.UP GOOD SO I NEVER DID FIND OUT WHY IT QUIT THEN. THE LAST FEW HRS. , IT NEVER SHUT DOWN AGAIN TILL RIGHT AFTER TAKE OFF. I CRASHED & TOTALED OUT MY PLANE & BENT THE SHAFT , BROKE THE SPARK PLUG & PLUG BOOT. THERE'S A DENT IN THE ELECTRONIC IGN. BOX & I HAVE NO IDEA IF THE ENGINE WILL RUN, OR SHOULD. SHAFT IS PROBABLY OUT BY .030 ON THE END. MAXFORD USA /GREENMODELUSA , TOLD ME THE COULD NOT HELP ME IN ANYWAY. I ASKED ABOUT SERVICE & WHETHER MY 2 YR. WARRANTY WAS TO BE HONORED ATLEAST TOWARD SERVICING OR INSPECTING THE MOTOR. HE HAS NOT ANSWERED ME BACK YET ON THAT PART. GUYS I'M RETIRED & HAVE VERY LITTLE MONEY & SAVED A WHILE JUST TO PUT THIS ENGINE ON MY DISCOVER CARD. IS THERE ANY HELP OUT THERE? THANKS & KEEP THEM FLYING & IF YOU HAVE ANY GOOD ADVISE ,PLEASE NOTIFY. ENGINE WAS VERY NOISY WITH THE LITTLE PITTS TYPE MUFFLER , NCRCNUT. [email protected]
Old 10-02-2007, 02:10 AM
gpar

Just for the record.
I found out the reason for my dead stick, the screen (the grid inside my carburetor) was clogged. After removing and cleaning it the engine really improved the start, the idle and the top conditions.