Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

heaviest plane you'd fly precision with a 50cc?

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

heaviest plane you'd fly precision with a 50cc?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 10:22 AM
mtwister

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heaviest plane you'd fly precision with a 50cc?

I am wondering how heavy is too heavy for a 50cc. I have the Lanier Yak (my 2nd one) and am considering installing a DL-50 I have laying around. The first Yak has a zdz-80rv in it and it is actually almost severely overpowered. It is right at 18.2 pounds minus fuel and I have a real hard time finding the sweet spot for hovering. It either drops or climbs. I have tried several different props, several different throttle curves, but it's getting better. So, I was thinking for the 2nd build, I may just use the DL on it, since my other DL rips a 17 pound PW around almost like a foamie. Any thoughts?
Old 09-03-2007, 12:13 PM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

Default RE: heaviest plane you'd fly precision with a 50cc?

I bought a Lanier Yak 54 from a friend, he had a DA-50r in it. He found it took almost full power to hover and could not pull up from a hover. I put a LS-100cc twin in it I think I have the power to hover, but I just started getting into 3D so I'm not good at it, but the plane will go out of sight vertically.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:23 PM
mtwister

ORIGINAL: soarrich

I bought a Lanier Yak 54 from a friend, he had a DA-50r in it. He found it took almost full power to hover and could not pull up from a hover. I put a LS-100cc twin in it I think I have the power to hover, but I just started getting into 3D so I'm not good at it, but the plane will go out of sight vertically.

Yes true, if you build them box stock they're too heavy for a 50cc. I have done several lightening mods and I should be able to keep the plane right at 17 pounds.
Old 09-03-2007, 01:36 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Depends on the IMAC class. Basic and Sportsman could handle a 20lb, 50cc plane. The vertical lines in the more advanced classes would prolly bring that down to 17-18.
Old 09-03-2007, 01:51 PM
Hawk21
My Feedback: (7)

my friend yak weight 21 pound dry with a DA 50
it did fly but it need more power than a DA 50 at that weight
the IMAC basic was the only sequence it can fly
so to answer your question as Pat Roy state 17 to 18 pounds should be the heaviest to fly precision with a 50cc
it also depend on the engine because for example
a bme 50 do not have the same power as the DA 50
Old 09-03-2007, 05:20 PM
rctom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It really does depend on the class. Basic and Sportsman IMAC do nothave any long uplines, with good energy management you can fly ove 20 lbs. In fact, a 20lb plane willprobably fly basic better than a 17 lb. plane, they tend to be more stable.

Above sportsman, you need to be able to hold sustained uplines while rolling or snapping, you won't want over 17 lbs. in those classes.

The best I ever did in IMAC was with a very underpowered plane. I had to spend a lot of time practicing energy management to be able to complete all the maneuvers, I think the forced extra practice made me fly better.

TF