Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

TME Simple Smoke pump LEAKING!...

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

TME Simple Smoke pump LEAKING!...

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 03:17 PM
walterPPK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TME Simple Smoke pump LEAKING!...

I have been very pleased with the way this pumps performs, it is easy to adjust and produces very dense smoke with my DA50.

But, today I was checking the inside of my Yak and noticed that the pump was leaking!. the bottom of my model is foam so the Diesel was eating away at it!.

After checking the lines I could not find any sign of leaks in them, I took out the pump and tested it outside the model... I could clearly see that the leak was in the pump itself.

I unscrew the top plate of the pump and guess what, there is no gaskets here, it is plastic against plastic with nothing in between them.

I'm gonna try and fix this making a little gasket myself to see if it works, I love to have smoke but my model can take Diesel dripping inside of it.

Have any of you had a similar problem with TME Simple Smoke system?
Old 09-04-2007, 04:31 PM
gboulton
My Feedback: (15)

Default RE: TME Simple Smoke pump LEAKING!...

Perhaps this is why so many of us recommend AGAINST using things like diesel as "smoke fluid".

Super Dri smoke oil has been around for AGES, works great, and...IS FOAM SAFE. It's also much less destructive to balsa than glow, gas, or diesel are, over the same time frame.

I'd even dare to suggest that the diesel could be what CAUSED your problem to begin with...don't know if the TME's have gaskets or not, but a majority of pumps do...perhaps TME's are the exception, but I'd be surprised if they were....and sure as heck diesel could eat away at them.
Old 09-04-2007, 06:06 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Send the pump back. TME is very good about warranty service. Damage caused by your choice of fluids will likely be on you.
Old 09-04-2007, 06:54 PM
walterPPK

Thanks for the replies!.

I don't think I have read anything on TME site saying that Diesel is not an allowed smoke fluid, in fact I read their SECRETS TO GREAT SMOKE and it clearly mentions Diesel as an smoke fluid alternative.

Here in Panama is a bit hard to get some of that Super Dri but I'll try to order some from the US. I didn't know it was FOAM SAFE!.

Thanks again.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:46 PM
walterPPK

Smoke recipes from the TME site:

# Kerosene Diesel & kerosene 50:50 (Source: unknown)

# Diesel and Automatic transmission Fluid 50:50 (Source: unknown)

# Diesel and small amount of butyl carbitol (used by clothes cleaners) no more than 30% butyl carbitol (Source: Model Airplane News article.)

# Diesel oil No. 2 (Source: unknown)
Diesel must be OK with them...