Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Gas engine choices?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 02:01 AM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gas engine choices?

I am fairly new to gas powered flight. I have one gasoline powered engine an Evolution 35GT (version 1) in a 1/4 scale Hanger 9 CAP 232 (the old heavy Matt Chapman blue/green/white one) Now I have bought a new used plane. a Cermark 1/4 scale Pitts S2B and I want to power it with a gasoline engine as well. Would another Evolution 35GT be too much nose weight for this plane? Cermark recomends a 26cc gasser for this plane but I want unlimited vertical performance. I also want snappy manouverability. I understand it's a give and take relationship, so my question is which gasoline engine, of any brand, would best suit my performance wishes in this aircraft?

[link=http://www.cermark.net/List.php?TID=15]Cermark Pitts S2B[/link]
Old 09-07-2007, 08:26 AM
arobatx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Gas engine choices?

I've played alot with a modified and lightened Zenoah G26, and have found that you do get the snappy, unlimited performance on aircraft 10lbs or less. The only thing I might mention, is that a biplane might add just enough more drag to affect the results. 1000 sq in wing area and up is nice, that seems to be about the point where adding 1/2-1 lb to the AUW won't negatively affect the flight characteristics, and allow you to have much more power up front. Going from the 26 to a 35 in your case, would indeed add a little more than a pound up front. Even with the 35 I would be aiming for 11lbs or less, and your battery might need to be placed pretty far rearward. Hopefully someone will jump on here who has one, and can confirm some AUW and balance numbers for you, before you decide. We all know the weight advertised is not always a good number to trust.

Chad
Old 09-08-2007, 08:59 AM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Your choice of course, but I flew one of these for 4 years (check out the threads on it in the ARF section), and did many mods to it just to use my Satio 180 in it (smooth compaired to gas). It is lightly built and flys great, but IMO, a gas engine would shake this plane apart over time.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:29 PM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put the E 26 in my Pitts and it made the plane to heavy. The best engines for the Pitts is a Saito 125 to 150. Dennis