Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Engine Mounting?

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Engine Mounting?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 11:36 PM
KitBuilder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine Mounting?

I have an evolution .46 where the rear of the motor sits with no play in the mount... However as you move forward, the crankcase narrows, leaving space between the case and the motor mount. This allows the motor to swing left or right off centerline. What is the best way to ensure 0 degree side thrust. I Would like to do something other than the "eyeball it" method however motors I've worked with to date have not had this narrowing of the crankcase and I usually drop them in, slide for or aft for balance and secure.

Mike
Old 09-17-2007, 05:57 AM
jetmech05

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Engine Mounting?

I always mount the engine in the mounts first, then mount the mount to the firewall...Is this an ARF?
Once you have the proper spacing for the cowl is there play in the engine at the aft of the mount? if not drill those first and secure the aft side first. before you drill the forward holes
make sure that you have enough area on the mount to drill the forward holes without drilling through the side of the mount. if its close re mount the mount on the firewall.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:02 AM
DelRay

If you have a small or 6" dial slide caliper you can reference all the mounting holes off the back side of the mount, or reference the back two mounting holes in this manner and then use the motor to locate the forward two holes. This will ensure the motor is square on the mount, any side thrust must come from the firewall then if it isn't square to the centerline of the plane.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:52 AM
Ed Smith

What is the best way to ensure 0 degree side thrust.
Slip some thin shims (Ply, Balsa, cardboard,) either side of the motor to keep it in the middle while drilling the screw holes.

Ed S
Old 09-17-2007, 08:40 AM
KitBuilder

thanks for the replies...... it's a four star .40 kit.. .. so no cowl... I figured would be easier to secure the mount first.. then the motor since i would have a longer centerline to line up against. There is no side-thrust in the firewall so just need to have it straight on.

I like the caliper idea... looks like cheaper ones are around 10 bucks...
Thanks.
Mike
Old 09-17-2007, 12:30 PM
Stew99

Block the fuselage so the wings are parallel to the ground. Make sure the engine is centered in the mount with the propellor parallel to the ground. Pick a spot on the centerline of the fuselage and measure to each propellor tip. For zero side thrust the distance should be the same. It is better to err on the side of a little right thrust as left thrust is usually not desirable.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:21 PM
KitBuilder

ORIGINAL: Stew99

Block the fuselage so the wings are parallel to the ground. Make sure the engine is centered in the mount with the propellor parallel to the ground. Pick a spot on the centerline of the fuselage and measure to each propellor tip. For zero side thrust the distance should be the same. It is better to err on the side of a little right thrust as left thrust is usually not desirable.
hmmm I like this idea too.. since I'm already familiar with lining up the other pieces this way.. tail.. wing, etc. .etc...Not sure why I didn't think of this [&o] but that's what makes these boards such a valuable resource.. will try this evening... Thanks!

Question... With a propeller spinning clockwise looking from the rear... why would right thrust work as it seems like would just add fuel to the fire?
Mike
Old 09-17-2007, 04:13 PM
Stew99

The spinning propellor is putting an opposite torque on the fuselage making it want to roll to the left. It also sets up a spiral slip stream around the fuselage that hits the vertical fin on the left side making the plane want to yaw to the left. These effects vary from one design to another so it's usually best to start with whatever the designer has specified. After you see how the plane flies in a stock set-up you can begin to experiment with other set-ups. As someone else mentioned, after mounting, the engine thrust line can be shifted with shims or washers under the engine mounting lugs or between the engine mount and the firewall.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:47 AM
KitBuilder

ORIGINAL: Stew99

The spinning propellor is putting an opposite torque on the fuselage making it want to roll to the left. It also sets up a spiral slip stream around the fuselage that hits the vertical fin on the left side making the plane want to yaw to the left. These effects vary from one design to another so it's usually best to start with whatever the designer has specified. After you see how the plane flies in a stock set-up you can begin to experiment with other set-ups. As someone else mentioned, after mounting, the engine thrust line can be shifted with shims or washers under the engine mounting lugs or between the engine mount and the firewall.
ahh ..right.. didn't think about the old - for every action... equal and opposite reaction. and the slip stream issue too... thanks.
Mike