Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

How many have used HobbyCity.com?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes, I have and recommend them
33.33%
Yes, but I don't recommend them
0%
No, I have not used them
66.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

How many have used HobbyCity.com?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 10:58 PM
Garret H
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many have used HobbyCity.com?

Just curious how many of you have used Hobbycity.com. They have great prices on all of their products, but I would like to know if anyone has had a bad experience. Please vote, but if you have a story to tell, post it.

Thanks,
Garret H
Old 09-26-2007, 11:56 PM
carrellh

Default RE: How many have used HobbyCity.com?

The site says the company is in a suburb of Hong Kong. The postage table pop-up turned me away. The stuff seems inexpensive until you add the shipping cost. At that point the real price looks just about like everyone else's. I've never shipped anything from HK to USA so I have no idea if the rates are good or bad, and I do not know how reliable the shipping methods are from one part of the world to another.
Old 09-27-2007, 02:11 AM
bigchap

i use hobbycity./united hobbies a lot,just placed my 14th order with them,all has been very good up until now,good products(apart from the lipos),and fast shipping (normally).i placed an order on the 18th sept. and it hasn't even been picked yet.it is the first time i've used the cheaper shipping rates though so perhaps they don't rush so much when you do that,with ems shipping it has been as quick as 2 days from order to delivery which is astonishing when you consider it takes 20 hours from hk to the uk.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:17 AM
Garret H

What shipping did you normally use? How much is that type of shipping? What was wrong with their lipos?
Thanks,
Garret
Old 09-27-2007, 11:12 AM
bigchap

i normally use ems express which is an option on their shipping table,as to their lipos go to rcgroups.com and read all about them,they puff after very little use,sometimes no use at all!
Old 09-28-2007, 10:05 PM
Garret H

Thanks.
Old 12-11-2007, 01:15 PM
Pappy-86
My Feedback: (6)

I used to buy form them but not anymore. I bought 5 lipo batteries last year and after about 3 flight the batteries puffed. 3c 2100mah. Well I was told that that had fixed the problem this year so I ordered 2 batteries 3c 2500mah and when I got them they looked good and past all test came in cold with good punch. I needed some smaller batteries so I ordered 4 3c 1500mah and when I got them 1 had a dead cell I contacted Hobbycity and was told to send the battery back well I had already paid $22.95 for the battery and now it was going to cost me $15.00 to send a battey back that if they had any quality control at all would have seen the dead cell before they sent it out. I fly all electric made 701 flight this year and will not buy another battery from these guys again. I found a place in the US that sells Hecell for almost the same price and there batterys have better punch and dont swell and a lot better customer service.
Old 12-11-2007, 02:43 PM
mclina

I have ordered some cheap servos from them, but I haven't gotten them yet. I'm in no hurry - I didn't even have a model in mind when I ordered them. I just wanted to see how they were. I think I ordered a bunch of $3.99 servos and took the $5.95 shipping option, so I'll probably see them next summer.

I didn't vote, because I can't recommend them or trash them yet.
Old 12-11-2007, 02:45 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's a good place to start. Hobby City and United Hobbies are the same: http://www.rcgroups.com/united-hobbies-441/
Old 12-11-2007, 03:09 PM
Garret H

So far I have orders (1) 18-amp brushless esc that I am using with a FRIO 10 motor, (2) micro servos, (2) 2500 mAH 3-cell lipos, and (1) 1300 mAh 3-cell. I have placed 2 orders -- both times shipping has been about a week and 1-3 days after the date it shipped. The 2500s have about 4-5 cycles -- so far so good. With the batteries, I was impressed that the "Ultra Deans" (or so called T-plugs) came soldered on and the esc plug also came with it.

Garret
Old 12-11-2007, 05:31 PM
housedad

Today, I recieved a couple of RP4S1 4 channel recievers from them. Shipped via EMS express out of Hong Kong. No issues at all. I had to go to the post office to sign for the package, though. Hobbycities tracking info stops at the US border. The items were well packed with bubble wrap. They are sitting right next to the keyboard as I type. I still have to test them to ensure they work OK.

The sender is listed as Yuheng Wu, the city is Fotan, Hong Kong. Shipped out 12/8/07 Hong Kong time, arrived today, 12/11 in New Jersey.
Old 12-14-2007, 01:48 PM
baj

A Customers report on United Hobbies HK

Hobby city is the same as United hobbies based in HK. At web address www.unitedhobbies.com . It has been about a year since I have been buying from them as one of their Platinum buyers. Things to consider when buying from them.

1. If item is not in stock cancel entire order you could be waiting a while.
2. The company has a tendency to show items in stock then after you pay for the order it shows reserved for you yet a few days later they sell it and your order status screens shows items on backorder, It has happened many times with my orders. Full e-mails about my displeasure are available.
3. Expect to get partial orders this has also happened.

The reliability factor on orders from a scale 1 to 10 under my experiences with them falls at a 4 with low numbers as poor .

4. Expect some recycled or repaired or repackaged stuff to arrive as did in my last order of 2 gas engines an SV 50cc and a 100c. I E-mailed them and sent pictures of corrosion on parts poor packing , missing parts from engine and scratched up mercandise recieved.

5. On the pricing they get a 9 out of a 10. Very Good
6. On communication they get 9 out 10. Very Good
7. On refunding they get a 6 out 10. Average for delaying refunds on previous orders
8. product diversity they score 9 out 10 Very Good
9. Shipping charges reasonable provided you choose the method of shipping they get a 7 Out 10

I hope this will help members when buying from them.

I have now put a halt on making further purchases and have requested a refund on a pending order. It is my hope they will take notice of these problems and rebuild their lost reputation with me.