Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Slowing down a rookie ll

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Slowing down a rookie ll

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 07:30 AM
docgboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slowing down a rookie ll

I test flew my new rookie II on Sunday successfully. It flew quite well, but with the bright sun sitting low in the sky this time of year and our flight line facing south it was tough to keep her out of the sun. I have a Jetcat TitanSe in her and fourway thrust vectoring installed. The only thing I would like to improve is slowing down the plane for landing. I am only using the speed brake which I have about 80degrees of throw.

I am considering using both the speed brake and canard braking together. However, I am very intimidated by the looks of the canard braking. seeing those canards at a 85 degree down deflection doesn't seem right.
Does anyone have experience with this that could lend some advise.

Scott
Old 10-02-2007, 07:37 AM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Slowing down a rookie ll

Over 250 flights using Canard Braking only. Slow it down, deploy, and drive it in.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:48 AM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

I have to agree with Sean, use the canard braking. It is very effective and nothing to be intimidated about.
The rookie is not the easiest plane to land and with large engine residual thrust, canard braking is pretty much necessary to get the speed bled off.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:16 AM
Robrow

I use the letter box deployed together with crow braking, very effective even with Rhino power. the main thing is to anticipate and start bleeding energy early in the landing circuit.

Rob.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:39 AM
jseppanen

P120 in mine. Using both the bottom speed brake and sometimes esp. in calm days also canards. If using canards, be sure you have lots of elevator movement and don't cut power off too early. Otherwise it will drop like a dead duck...don't ask how I know...with some power, flies fine though even with canards braking!

Btw. using canard braking seems to radically reduce the famous bouncing tendency, anyone noticed the same? - that is even with same landing speed. Forward lift is ofcourse less with canards 'deployed'...
Old 10-02-2007, 10:46 AM
Airforce7
My Feedback: (31)

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Scott, keep practicing the landings with the bottom speed brake. Don't screw with canard braking so early into your new jet. Eventually you'll figure out the flying characteristics with the Rookie II and you'll be able to land it without any speed brakes. The trick it to get it at the right angle of attack and the right speed setting in the turn for final. Flare is also key. Take the time to do some touch-and-go's during a flight to get used to judging the rate of decent to the runway. Good luck.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:58 AM
jseppanen

Absolutely agree with Airforce7's comment above! If you have the CG back enough, it will slow down even with no brakes at all! On the other hand with forward CG the plane just keeps it's speed and floats on...

With brake AND canards AND rearward CG you can make some showstopping short landings though...
Old 10-02-2007, 11:40 AM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Do at least two inspection passes with the speedbrake on and gear down just for bleed out speed for landing.... this helps a lot to get used to the right speed and attitude of the jet for this critical phase of the flight.

also the speed brake at 90 degrees instead 80 makes a lot of difference!

Good luck, Enrique
Old 10-02-2007, 01:14 PM
carbunkle

ORIGINAL: erbroens

Do at least two inspection passes with the speedbrake on and gear down just for bleed out speed for landing.... this helps a lot to get used to the right speed and attitude of the jet for this critical phase of the flight.

also the speed brake at 90 degrees instead 80 makes a lot of difference!

Good luck, Enrique
ditto... 300+ flts with a titan, lands and stops in 60ft..
Old 10-02-2007, 02:08 PM
Flying Arrow
My Feedback: (6)

All are great comments.

Trial and Error is the way to go.
Regards