Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Flush Mounted Windows

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Flush Mounted Windows

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2003, 12:51 AM
Bass1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Flush Mounted Windows

Any of you scale builder gurus' know of a relatively simple method for flush mounting windows? I am finishing a Bud Nosen Citabria and gluing the side windows over the fabric is not a very pretty option. I havn't started covering yet as I am debating this window thing.. Thanks for any help Bass1
Old 03-24-2003, 02:04 AM
CAPtain232
My Feedback: (40)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They way I do it is build in a recess where the window goes. You have too look ahead and plan it so that you can do this while you are building that area of the plane. The cockpit has to be finished before installation.
Old 03-24-2003, 06:50 AM
linclogs

There is a much easier way. Check out the following link:

http://www.awhobbies.com/

It's called the "Rout-A-Kit". The manufacturer is A & W Hobbies. They say, "Inlaid windows in seconds". Use it with your Dremel.
Old 03-24-2003, 01:37 PM
heavy date-RCU

I have had great luck just using clear monokote. Fast, easy and flush. Foremost also makes real rubber seals for larger scale models that looks super when finished.
Hans
Old 03-24-2003, 03:09 PM
r1morris
My Feedback: (1)

I had the same problem with a Bud Nosen 40 size Champ. I bought the plane mostly built and didn't want to use iron on material suggested in the plan.
I took some 1/64 ply and glued it around the outside of the window openings leaving a 1/4 inch inside the opening to glue windows to. A little sanding and filler smoothed things out and you cannot tell after covering. It's simple cheap and fast to do.
Old 03-24-2003, 08:04 PM
Bass1

Default Flush mount windows

Thanks to all for your suggestions. Linclogs wins with his suggestion on the "Rout a kit" form A&W. This is just what the builder ordered!! Bass1