Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

bashing a twin still more questions help

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

bashing a twin still more questions help

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2003, 01:30 AM
racer-RCU
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bashing a twin still more questions help

I need to decide what engines I need for my twin engine seaplane. I am just putting two engines on a trianer and putting it on floats. It has a 60 inch wingspan. should I get 2 25s or 2 40s with 3 blade props because of al the extra power. I will post pics later. I origonally wanted it to be a low wing airplane and now a twin seaplane. I have already choped the nose off and shaped the nose with blocks. the plane was kinda old so I replaced the center sheeting, Going to put dual servos in wing, is it all right if they stick out. Wingtips and windows shattered to give you an idea of how old it was. I am going to put gee bee floats on it. I am going to place the floats closer to the bottom of the plane since the engine are on the wing, Is this okay. sorry the post is so long but its my first twin.
Old 03-24-2003, 01:52 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Bashing a twin float plane

Racer
twenty class engines will handle a forty size trainer bash on floats fine. I have done two forty trainers on floats and K&B .20 Sportsters handled them just fine. My preferrance would be for anything up to .30. If you are worried about getting off the water the key is float installation and not overpowering with heavy engines.

In the two that I did I used underwing bath tub nacelles like the Kaydet in my Avitar. And used conventional float orientation and height. Even with underwing nacelles the thrustline will come out a little higher that as a single engine.

If you go to a forty class engine, a lethargic bushing engine may be a better choice, something like an OS 40FP or a LA40.
Also I do highly reccommend adding 4 to 5 degrees out thrust on both sides.