Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

dubro hinge tips needed

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

dubro hinge tips needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2003, 02:57 AM
nads
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dubro hinge tips needed

I've basically finished my hog bipe, but I've been quite annoyed by the CA hinges I used.

I first installed them and when I tested them (having seen a catastrophic failure due to this) they pulled out very easily.

Cut them, re-installed them, and with the second attempt the flexibility was terrible on the ailerons and elevator.

I've used them on four planes previously with no such issues, but I'm ready to give in now and have a pile of dubro hinges here. I can't say I've ever read exactly how to use them so I turn to your help? I'm assuming cut a slot and glue in. Holes are for the pinning I've always heard about?

I'm also guessing getting them aligned on a finished wing is going to be great fun? What tips are there?!?!?
Old 03-25-2003, 04:05 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The holes are not for pinning, they are just there to give the epoxy something to grab on to. Just cut the slots, and epoxy them in place. Clean off any excess epoxy with alcohol.
Old 03-25-2003, 10:08 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I tend to rough them up a little with the dremel and put vaseline in the hinge to keep the glue from getting in there.

Just a tip on the CA hinges, if you drill a small hole in the center of the hinge slot you made, it helps the glue wick back in better. Let it dry good before you try to pull them out and then work the surface both ways till it is free.
Old 03-26-2003, 03:04 AM
mscic-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

When I used them I always pinned them with toothpicks. Just drill through the balsa and hinge after you have glued them in place and ca a toothpick in place, sand and monokote. Never had one pull out.
Old 03-26-2003, 02:52 PM
onewasp

The answers you've been given are right and I have experience with each of them.

A very simple method is to use 15 min. epoxy, insert them in the movable surface first and let the epoxy set ----- the key is to fix the hinge in a straight configuration ---- 180 degrees --- and DO NOT MOVE !! Then, do the same in attaching them to the wing/stab/fin.

When the epoxy has set just slap the surface one time and any epoxy residue will snap free ---- since you immobilized the hinge throughout the process there is no epoxy on the hinge pin!

While this works perfectly I have since changed to Robart Hinge Points -- same procedure but lots easier. Everyone has their own preference, this is mine.
Old 03-27-2003, 10:53 PM
nads
My Feedback: (3)

I keep hearing about robart hinge points now... makes me want to use them, it appears that the structure of the elevator and wings doesn't have solid balsa as deep as the length of the hinge points, so I guess they're out. Next time i'll have to plan in advance and buffer the inside with some balsa blocks?
Old 03-27-2003, 11:09 PM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have used the Robart hinge points where they stick out slightly into the "interior" space because the balsa wasn't the same dimension as the length of the hinge. I have made sure there was lots of glue in the hole to help harden and strengthen. It appears to be OK. I suppose you could cut them off a little short. They are quite strong when glued properly and probably could be a little shorter than they are, depending on your flying style.
Old 03-28-2003, 01:27 AM
onewasp

On Robart Hinge Points ----- I routinely mount them in 1/8 balsa backed with foam (as an insert in the balsa structure). It will take more force than I've ever experienced to dislodge them. Ditto for all balsa insertion.

15 min. epoxy is better than the longer setting variety as it does not "wick" as far out.