Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

fiberglass vs. wood

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

fiberglass vs. wood

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 04:50 AM
onehot69stepside

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fiberglass vs. wood

I am going to build the "worldwide" woody that every one has built and have been wondering if it would benefit if I made a mold out of the wood one then laid up a glass hull. Will the glass make it lighter than the 1/8" ply?
Old 10-10-2007, 04:55 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: fiberglass vs. wood

hi mate you could make a liter version doing a glass one the wooden one will make a plug then you use the glass one you lay over that as your finnished mould so you lay the actuall new hull inside it if you understand me?.also this boat (wooden one) is very flighty or can be so the added weight isnt a bad thing .this hull will fly with a zen in it,over 50 mph with no problems at all providing you can keep it on the water [X(] .
Old 10-10-2007, 05:01 AM
onehot69stepside

Ahh. I see. Where I will be running it at will most likely not be calm water so I'll probably really need the weight. settled.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:10 AM
martno1fan

yes put it this way i run where it can get choppy and if you watch my videos on utube you will see this,i flipped mine on a very choppy windy day with a weedy motor so imaging what would happen with a zen in it in those conditions [X(]. 1st and 5th run videos were pretty rough to say the least.
[link]http://www.youtube.com/my_videos[/link]
Old 10-10-2007, 06:28 PM
glennb2006

[quote]ORIGINAL: martno1fan

" i flipped mine on a very choppy windy day with a weedy motor so "

Nothing to do with the rudder though Martin?

Glenn
Old 10-11-2007, 08:14 AM
martno1fan

no it was nothing to do with the rudder dont believe anything Patrik says hes been listening to abba too long ,it was my stupid fault going across the wind on a very choppy lake with waves hitting 6" and more at times.lets put it this way im still runnig that rudder and the same servo and i havent had anything go wrong with it yet.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:03 AM
glennb2006

ORIGINAL: martno1fan

no it was nothing to do with the rudder dont believe anything Patrik says hes been listening to abba too long ,it was my stupid fault going across the wind on a very choppy lake with waves hitting 6" and more at times.lets put it this way im still runnig that rudder and the same servo and i havent had anything go wrong with it yet.

Glenn
Old 10-11-2007, 10:36 PM
Flabum

Yeah, Marti...... was your sorry butt driving Still no Y-harness?

Building a Woody out of glass will make it stronger for sure. As for conditions you will run it in, you can always add ballast to it to anchor it better and remove the ballast for lighter conditions. Would love to see a lighter 'glass Woody scream across the pond.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:59 PM
dwr9

My opinion is that building the boat out of glass will not make it appreciably lighter or stronger and will not increase performance. If you're careful with the build it can be built very light out of wood, but glass or wood, generally very light weight means less strength. Doug
Old 10-12-2007, 05:05 AM
martno1fan

ORIGINAL: Flabum

Yeah, Marti...... was your sorry butt driving Still no Y-harness?

Building a Woody out of glass will make it stronger for sure. As for conditions you will run it in, you can always add ballast to it to anchor it better and remove the ballast for lighter conditions. Would love to see a lighter 'glass Woody scream across the pond.
actually i bit that bullet a long time ago and have a y harness not noticed any diff with or without but there you go,as for a glass boat been stronger than my woody i beg to differ these woodies are very strong .you saw what little damage mine had after a head on with concrete at 25 mph and a mate of mine hit similar with a glass boat and his whole front end was a right off.if you want an almost indestructable boat get a kevlar hull but expect to spend a lot [X(].my woody weighed 7 lbs bare hull not much more than a glass hull the same size if its built strong.my new glass hull weighed 6 lb bare hull but it is built strong .
Old 10-12-2007, 11:26 PM
dwr9

My bare hull weighed in at 5 lbs. Doug
Old 10-14-2007, 01:07 PM
patriktegelberg

My bare hull was (literally was, se pic) 3 lb [:'(].

I´m glad to see the old woody crash investigation brought up to the surface again, it is a dear old friend that gave me many laughs. Martin you have had no problem since you say, that is because you rebuilt the rudder. It was the servo yielding .

But lets not give this horse another beating.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33769.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	782786  
Old 10-24-2022, 08:17 AM
Akerdridge

Hi everyone I hope one of you can help me, has anyone ever copied a fibreglass boat and made it out of ply. If so can you please give me some pointers on how to go about doing it.