Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

fuel tank clunk

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 12:28 AM
Wildstyle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel tank clunk

Hello, I am installing a DA-50 into my new 2.12m extra. This is my first gas engine and wondered if I need to take any special precaution with the fuel tank clunk?

I have heard that sintered bronze or felt filters are required for clunk pick ups to avoid fuel foaming, is this true.
cheers Anthony
Old 10-23-2007, 06:30 AM
Dr1Driver

Default RE: fuel tank clunk

The only thing that will prevent fuel foaming is a well-padded tank. I filter my gasoline with a sintered bronze klunk in the supply can, and an inline filter in the supply line. I use another sintered bronze filter in the onboard gas tank.

Dr.1
Old 10-23-2007, 06:55 AM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The other thing is you do not want to use the smaller ones. The Yellow tygon fuel line gets a bit stiff over time so the standard clunk you are used to when using glow is not heavy enough. Dubro and several others make a "large" clunk that weighs quite a bit more.

Sintered Bronze and felt clunks are basically filters and nothing more. Personally I use the felt ones that Aircraft International sells as they are nice and heavy and the felt ones actually hold a bit of fuel in them, just in case.

As Dr1 said, one way to stop fuel foaming is to pad the tank well. You also need to balance the prop, both blade and hub, to help smooth out any vibrations which also help the engine make all the power it can. Single cylinder gas engines already have a good amount of vibrations, an unbalanced prop can really add to it
Old 10-24-2007, 06:48 AM
Dr1Driver

bubbageates makes good points. I advocate the use of neoprene with gas systems. Tygon hardens with age (within one season) and may split or fall off the fittings.

Dr.1
Old 11-05-2007, 05:08 PM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

ORIGINAL: Dr1Driver

The only thing that will prevent fuel foaming is a well-padded tank. I filter my gasoline with a sintered bronze klunk in the supply can, and an inline filter in the supply line. I use another sintered bronze filter in the onboard gas tank.

Dr.1
Dr1, are you using the Dubro 161 clunk? Is this the same size as the heavy duty clunk? Thx
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Kh17642.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	797694  
Old 11-05-2007, 08:32 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Just use the Dubro large, works fine w/ tygon. With the Hayes super soft neopreme you can use smaller ones, in fact you need a brass nipple in the middle of the clunk line it's so soft (to prevent folding back).