Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

RC Gremlins Attack!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 10:22 PM
dhyde79

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC Gremlins Attack!

ok, I got time to do some tweaks on the truck, I put the dual disc kit on, my 3 speed (KIT not the preassembled....as was advertised, wasn't happy but it was easy enough to do so I didn't mind too much), my reverse module, cleared the shocks (2 were totally dry, and most were very low) and refilled with 40W, and then converted front and rear diffs to 4 spider with alloy housings.

first things....the brake kit was painless and went exactly as it should have, the transmission upgrades, while a pain at a couple moments, came off cleanly.

then the gremlins hit, first, there's a gasket/seal/whatever, that doesn't exist in the stock configuration that's required when you go to the alloy housings, that doesn't come with the stupid upgrade kit, which, of course made me mad and gave me a bad feeling of things to come. I ran to the LHS and grabbed the shock oil and the only diff lube they had, which was 7000W, and they suggested just using a thin stripe of silicone sealer to seal the diffs. I get back to the house, front diff goes flawlessly, rear diff was another story altogether, explaining why the poor truck couldn't wheelie or climb hills to save its tail. The "pins" were both broken so the rear diff was barely holding itself together. I get it all fixed up and changed out, reassembled, and get ready to test servos and then, the bigger gremlins reared their heads. The servos are all acting strange now. Throttle/Brake servo works fine, reverse switch one is totally non-functional, and the one for the steering....(JR 590) won't run, it tries to turn one way but doesn't respond at all in the other direction.

Any suggestions/tips/ideas are welcome, I'm almost at the point of putting it on a shelf and forgetting about it and chalking it up as an expensive "failed hobby"
Old 10-25-2007, 12:38 AM
-SomeGuy-

Default RE: RC Gremlins Attack!

Already? Cmon this is just one of those bad days you get while fixing your rc. And if you dont give up so quickly it wont be the last either. I guess this is where we seperate the boys from the men, lol just kidding .

So in the end the only problem is your radio gear? If your using the stock radio then i've had that weird steering servo problem and all it was was a switch on the TX that got flipped somewhere along the way. Flip it back and it should work fine. If not then you need to look if anything is binding anywhere.

A little advice, when you get one of these days just put it away and walk away. The next time you get the craving for nitro you will be ready to face whatever problem you might have. I've had way worse days than that but i learned allot from them so dont be to quick to give up. As long as your looking at it in a way of "how can i fix this" you will fix it eventually. And dont be afraid to think outside the box, the answer isint always on a manual but in our ingenuity.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:18 AM
BCKoots

If you get sick of the truck, i'll give you a bunch of old DVD's for it.........lol.

Like -someguy- said, set it down and come back to it when you are ready. you will figure it out.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:08 AM
ttoks

whenever i have a day i feel like throwing it in the bin, in after run the engine and leave it neglected on the work bench for a week till i feel ready to try again lol, no point giving up, but you gotta have the days where you wanna kill someone to enjoy the days where everything runs flawlessly.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:18 AM
dhyde79

not the stock radio, using the Spektrum DX 3.0, and I did think of possibility of binding, but, I didn't touch any of the linkages and I can turn the wheels by hand.....

the reverse switch servo (using the SF-1 for that) isn't even attempting to engage either.....that's the part that really gets me, the steering, I'm sure can be attributed to something's too tight or something of that nature....the reverse totally not doing anything though....that's quite aggrevating....and I did work on it cause of when I needed it to run, I was planning on taking a few today and going to a small track to see how it runs.

to add insult to injury, out of the three things I ordered from the seller on ebay that either aren't quite right, aren't what was shown, or don't work.....
-the 17mm hubs don't fit becuase they need to be opened up about 1mm, which, I can do, but, it's annoying that I have to when they were sold as "made for HPI Savage 25"
-the 3 speed was shown to be an assembled transmission (if it said it was the upgrade kit anywhere, I certainly missed it.....) instead I got the internals to convert my 2 speed to a 3 speed.
-the reverse module (while I'm sure this is more of a radio problem, or a jacked up servo) won't respond at all
Old 10-25-2007, 01:35 PM
dhyde79

had someone on another board recommend totally wiping all settings, will try that as well and then go from there and see what I can get, but, if that doesn't work, I'm at a total loss for what to do....
Old 10-25-2007, 04:52 PM
Vigilante212

I havent ever installed a reverse module, but its possible you need to reset the reciever and what not read the radio manual. I know the spektrum is 3 channel so you dont need the splitter or whatever it is for the reverse. The reverse uses one of the controller buttons if I remember right.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:11 PM
dhyde79

ok.....so....I killed the gremlins.....the SF1 servo that I put in the reverse went from working fine to totally dead after I took it out of the truck, oh well....as far as the steering....well....lets just leave it at, "steering doesn't work if you have the servo saver hitting the reverse servo linkage"

I'll get it home tonight, change servo out, reset all of the motor to factory, start it up with a new glowplug and try to tune from there. I've got OS A3's A5's and some other brand's "Q" that's a medium, which would you say is the best all around to use?
Old 10-25-2007, 07:32 PM
Vigilante212

I use the os#8 personally.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:23 PM
dhyde79

see, I was gonna buy the #8's but the dude at the shop said those were airplane ones, that there's an R8 but they didn't have em in stock.....

out of what I have already (have 2 A3's, 2 A5's, and 2 of the Q's) which one would ya go for?
Old 10-25-2007, 08:32 PM
-SomeGuy-

Which ever ones are medium-hot to hot are usually the best to use.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:36 PM
dhyde79

the A3 is a hot, the other's are medium.....(going into colder weather, do I want a hotter or cooler plug?)
Old 10-26-2007, 04:08 PM
Vigilante212

I gotta tell you your hobby shop guy sounds like an idiot . glow plugs are glow plugs the only diffrence is turbo and standard. I think some make short or long ones, but ive never personally seen them. Alot of the truggy racers at my club run the os #8 so I tried them works awsome with my 30% but any med to hot plug is ok. Cold plugs are good for 30%, but they make idling really rough need to leave the ignigter on longer to keep the plug running ive noticed.