Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

toaster foam cutter ?

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

toaster foam cutter ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2003, 01:58 AM
derejf-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default toaster foam cutter ?

I was thinking about taking my toaster apart and useing the peices to make a hot wire. I figured the dial on it would allow me to adjust the amount of current that goes through the wire to get it at the right temp. I have heard of useing a battery but never a toaster. I am not sure if it will work and was wondering if anybody had some thoughts on the idea.

Derek
Old 03-28-2003, 01:58 PM
Rich-RCU

The dial on your toaster only turns the current on and off. It does not adjust the amount of current that goes through the wire. Some toasters have multiple wires which are switched in or out.

You also might find the heating element breaking frequently as well as leaving strange cuts with the flat ribbon elements they typically use.

Then you would still have a death machine from the full 120 volt potential available it the wire.

Rich
Old 03-28-2003, 02:45 PM
derejf-RCU

So the dial is more like a timer and not a current adjustment. The whole death machine you are right. 120 volts might not seem like alot but its the amps that kill you and there is more than enough amps in 120 volts to kill you. It only takes a fraction of a amp to stop your heart so if you dont know what your doing dont disassemble equipment that plugs into wall socket. I dont what to give any youngsters any ideas to take apart moms toaster.

Thanks Rich
Old 03-28-2003, 03:30 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The dial actually regulates a little mechanism inside the toaster that detects heat. Once the internal temp that is set by the dial is reached, it shuts off and pops up (which is why if you push it back down right away, it just pops back up again, the mechanism needs time to cool off).

There are many other reasons why this will not work that I won't get into, lets just say that if it wors at all, it won't work well and it will be dangerous.

It's much easier to get some NiChrome wire and a transformer from Radio Shack and make one.
Old 03-28-2003, 06:03 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I just use thin full scale aircraft safety wire or nichrome wire depending on the situation, and a battery charger for a car. Works fine. If you make a longer bow, you can move the clip on the wire in and out to regulate heat. On the full scale plane, we use 2 battery chargers for more heat. Works great. Have purchased bows and made them from scratch. All seem to work about the same.
Old 03-28-2003, 08:35 PM
DMyer

"It's much easier to get some NiChrome wire and a transformer from Radio Shack and make one."

My 1 1/4 " dowl and music wire bow with nichrome wire, 12/24 volt 1.2 AMP Radio Shack transformer with a dimmer switch to control heat has been working like a champ for years... cost less than $25 and took about an hour to assemble. No need to re-invent the wheel.