Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > HPI Monster Truck Forum
Reload this Page >

Very hard starting 28.picco engine -what causes this

Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Very hard starting 28.picco engine -what causes this

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 12:55 PM
bwd111

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very hard starting 28.picco engine -what causes this

The other day i started my engine on my savage - the truck had been in the garage all night -temp 45 degrees- I stopped the engine the night before by putting my finger on the exhaust- then when i tried to restart - i primmed the engine it started then died then when i went to restart - the pull start was so tight i mean tight - i pulkled the glow plug you could here the hiss - sound like opening a pop bottle - then it would turn without the glow plug - when i installed the glow plug same thing to tight to pull . what would cause this
Old 10-25-2007, 01:10 PM
pythonfan
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Very hard starting 28.picco engine -what causes this

the motor is cold, and when the fuel hits the motor its already making it into vapor, causing a pressure lock, try taking a hair dryer and blowing it on the motor and warm the block up so its a bit easy.

it will start with out doing it, but it takes along time, you could let you plug lighter sit on the head for a min or 2 to heat it that way, but get those quick pulls in fast cause when it start you'd be lucky to get another turn over from it.

my axial keeps doing it, but it still braking in.

vapor lock, or pressure lock both the same, that's why you here that hiss. nothings wrong.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:27 PM
Redrawker

ORIGINAL: pythonfan

the motor is cold, and when the fuel hits the motor its already making it into vapor, causing a pressure lock, try taking a hair dryer and blowing it on the motor and warm the block up so its a bit easy.

it will start with out doing it, but it takes along time, you could let you plug lighter sit on the head for a min or 2 to heat it that way, but get those quick pulls in fast cause when it start you'd be lucky to get another turn over from it.

my axial keeps doing it, but it still braking in.

vapor lock, or pressure lock both the same, that's why you here that hiss. nothings wrong.
Wow. That was helpful! No joke. I finished breaking in my Mach (in a Revo...) Wednesday @ about midday. Then I put it in the garage. It is heated, but wasn't being heated to save $$$. Also, the door was open lol! It dropped to 47F outside. Later that night I primed it and tried to start it. I had a 3300mah pack in my Spin start and it would barely turn it over. I loosened my glow plug and heard a small hiss. (About half as loud as opening a Coke bottle.) I wasn't sure what the problem was, but I knew that cold weather made them harder to start so I took it inside. After 30-45 mintutes in a warn room, I took it out and it fired right up. Now I know what caused it.

Thanks!
Old 10-25-2007, 04:59 PM
Vigilante212

You flooded your engine bwd. Take the glowplug and washer off tip it upside down and pull the pullstart a few times to drain the excess fuel. Reinstall the plug heat the head like python said (dont use the plug ignigter it just burns out the plug faster) with the hairdryer or heat gun and it should start.

Some engines especially during break in if you plug the pipe to turn it off tend to flood out and when you go to start it the next time it will be flooded and priming it more only makes it worse. If you experience this problem alot the best ways to kill the engine are by pinching the fuel line until it revs up and quits or stopping the flywheel whith something. Stoping the flywheel is usually the best method, but I find its always a pain to get at so I rarely do it.
Old 10-26-2007, 02:59 PM
bwd111

Thanks , i found a heat gun in the garage heated the engine up started fine - my engine is breakin in still- works like a charm now- thanks agin