Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Motor Options for GP Pitts Special

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 04:21 PM
jasonjanise
My Feedback: (54)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor Options for GP Pitts Special

I am going to appeal to the masses and see what is out there and what guys are using. I just bought a GP Pitts Special NIB and I am trying to figure out what would be a good gas motor for this plane. I am leaning between 2 motors and was wondering what would be my best choice. I am thinking of either the Brillelli 46 or DL 50. Is anyone out there flying a Pitts and if so, what is working best for you? Just hoping for some more info.

Jason
Old 10-29-2007, 04:33 PM
arobatx

Default RE: Motor Options for GP Pitts Special

I would go with the Brillelli 366GT or a Zenoah G62 on EI. I think you'll find the weight is needed up front anyway, and a good 60cc should be just about right on a 33% pitts special. Depends how you wanna fly it I guess..

edit: I'm guessing price is a strong consideration here, since you chose two engines nearly identical in price.... Of the two, the DL will out perform the 46, you just might need to move some stuff forward to assist in your balance. It is a LIGHT engine. And Bob at DLUSA is really good to deal with, he has LOTS of very happy customers.

Scott at Brillelli is also very good to deal with, and puts out a good engine. So either way you go, you will be taken care of. I just think the DL will edge out the 46 in performance if you stick with your first two choices.

Chad
Old 10-29-2007, 05:10 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

It's not really designed for a gas engine. The front area is weak, as is the entire airframe. You'll have to do some serious mods to mount a gas engine on the front and hope to keep it on the plane for more than a few flights.

A G62 is WAAAAAAAAY to much power for this airframe. It will tear the plane apart.

I flew mine with a Fox 3.2 (52cc) for a bit. Went through a lot of work to rebuild the front end so that it would handle that kind of power.

IMHO, the GP 33% Pitts airframe is a piece of junk and you'd have been better off buying the Pitts from www.rcguys.com

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_38...ssembly/tm.htm

Old 10-29-2007, 05:44 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Moki 2.10. A lot of people have flown the plane with gassers, including myself. Every one ended up a lot heavier than the plane was really designed to fly, and low speed performance suffered greatly for it.
Old 10-29-2007, 05:59 PM
rc bugman
My Feedback: (30)

Hi,

I use a 3w-70 twin on mine. I have had no problem with airframe failure. The twin is much smoother than a single which hammers the airframe. The 3W-70 is an older model which is frequently available on RCU and it is a sweet running engine with the power of a 60 single. It is rather light for a twin at 4.95 lbs. I use a 24 x 8 prop and the plane has unlimited vertical. As with any bi-plane, you have to fly it all the way to a stop on landing, otherwise it flies great. The airframe is not designed for 3D but this engine/plane combination has enough power to do so if it had full length ailerons.

I also use the same model engine on the Wild Hare Ultimate with great results.

Hope this helps

Elson
Old 10-29-2007, 07:06 PM
jasonjanise

Well, first and foremost I am not at all concerned with the money issue. I am just looking to try something different is all. I was thinking that going with a lighter motor would be the best so I could keep the total weight of the plane down. The lighter it is the better it will fly. Now, I know it isn't a 3D plane and I never intended to fly it that way. I think that is where a lot of people went wrong with this plane and a lot of the "failures" came from. So many people thought that they had to way overpower the plane and that is not the case. This plane was meant to fly in a scale like manner and if one looks at the full scale Pitts, it does not have unlimited verticle. For that matter, no true full scale aerobatic plane has truly unlimited verticle. I just want a good motor that is light and reliable. I was thinking something close to the recommended size and at first was leaning really hard towards a G-45 with a wrap around Pitts. I just think as long as you drill and pin the firewall and beef the motor box some, it will be fine. I was also going to use Robart hinges instead of CA. Sometimes we have to remember about that little stick on the left side of our radios (throttle).

Jason
Old 10-29-2007, 07:21 PM
thevirginian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jason,
If money doesn't matter much, than go with a DA50. Or witha Brillelli 50GT. Can't go wrong with neither of these engines. I had a GP Christian Eagle with a Fuji 50 in it. Flew O.K. but was not a power house. Airframe is fine, nothing to worry about. Just glass around the fire wall inside and out a little. Watch those take-offs. She is squirly. Coming in requires quite some practice as well. She likes to bounce like a tennis ball. But overall a great performer. A 62 is too heavy and too much power.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:45 AM
rc bugman

Hi,

If money is not an issue, look at the 3w-56 twin. It is a very smooth engine and has the 50+ cc power range. If you go with too light of an engine, you will have to add nose wt because the plane tends to be tail heavy. I originally flew my Pitts with a smaller engine but the draggyness of a Bipe resulted in "airdog" type of performance.

Elson
Old 10-30-2007, 09:00 AM
jasonjanise

Thanks for the info Elson. I was hoping to hear from someone that has tried a couple of different options. I was wondering what you thought of say a Zenoah G-45 on CH Ignition or just the stock Magneto. That would give it some nose weight. I am not concerned with unlimited verticle but I do want to fly it in a scale like manner. I also seen that RC Guys make a 48cc Twin that they are pimping with their 33% Pitts. Has anyone heard anything on it?

Jason
Old 10-30-2007, 03:43 PM
rc bugman

Jason,

Personally, I don't think that a G-45 has enough power for the plane. I personally tried a RCS (moki) 44 cc twin, a 3W-48 twin and a 3w-50 single on the air frame and I did not like the way any of the engines flew the plane. I like the way the 3w-70 twin flies it. I think the 3w-56 would also have good power. The plane has a lot of drag and with most of the engines that I tried, the plane flew fine but it was not peppy.

Hope this helps

Elson
Old 10-30-2007, 07:52 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

ZDZ 80 baby!!!!![sm=lol.gif]
Old 10-31-2007, 07:33 AM
Sandman Norway

I`ve got an Roto 50 boxer... It fits nicely, good power, perfect weight for this bird. Smoooooth as glass..
VERY low vibes on this engine...

I did initially "build" mine with a ZDZ 60 in mind, and did a lot of work on the engine box. Glassing and pegging the front..
but with the low vibes from the Roro engine, this is a bit overkill..

Engine starts very easy, and runs strong.. AND looks very nice...

Best regards..

Sandman
Old 10-31-2007, 09:52 AM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

ORIGINAL: Sandman Norway

I`ve got an Roto 50 boxer... It fits nicely, good power, perfect weight for this bird. Smoooooth as glass..
VERY low vibes on this engine...

I did initially "build" mine with a ZDZ 60 in mind, and did a lot of work on the engine box. Glassing and pegging the front..
but with the low vibes from the Roro engine, this is a bit overkill..

Engine starts very easy, and runs strong.. AND looks very nice...

Best regards..

Sandman
What kind of numbers are you getting with that Roto 50 and with what props?
Old 10-31-2007, 10:13 AM
Sandman Norway

mrbigg : I dont have tac on hand, as mine broke down before I got this Roto up`n running.
But will borrow one an get back to you.. I use a Menz Ultra 22x10. and it runs strong...I`ll get the figures on RPM
in a day or so... It really is a very potent little twin...

Best regards Sandman...
Old 11-05-2007, 04:32 PM
Sandman Norway

mrbigg: I tacked the Roto 50 to 6700 static RPM. Thats on a 22x10 Menz Ultra... Smooth as glass :-)

Love this little twin...

Best regards..

Sandman