Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Make a Good Dremel Router Table and Fence

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Make a Good Dremel Router Table and Fence

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 01:11 PM
CafeenMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Make a Good Dremel Router Table and Fence

This is my second router table and MUCH better than my first. I also made a split fence for it which is micro-adjustable for very precise miniature work.

[link=http://www.airfieldmodels.com/information_source/how_to_articles_for_model_builders/tools/dremel_router_shaper_table_v2/index.htm]Dremel Router Table[/link]

[link=http://www.airfieldmodels.com/information_source/how_to_articles_for_model_builders/tools/split_router_fence/index.htm]Split Fence for Router Table[/link]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xu62447.jpg
Views:	1416
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	795354  
Old 11-02-2007, 04:02 PM
MasterAlex

Default RE: Make a Good Dremel Router Table and Fence

Awesome information Paul! I happen to own the new XPR 400 Dremel that doesn't fit that router accessory [>:]. Which unit do you happen to use in that device?

Thanks for sharing - oh and it does appear that table will last a long time.

-MA
Old 11-03-2007, 12:59 AM
Fredsterman

I have a new Dremel 440, and a plunge router attachment.
They fit together nicely until I start a cut[:@]
I can tighten the dremel to the router base with the supplied wrench..............[:@]
A full size router with a router table would have been a better buy[>:]
Old 11-03-2007, 06:35 AM
CafeenMan

MasterAlex - I'm using the Dremel MultiPro. Don't know what the model number is.

Fredsterman - I think everyone who has ever used any Dremel attachment has felt your pain and most people probably think it's their fault. Dremel has an excellent reputation because people don't take them to task for the quality of their crappy tools. I'm hoping that eventually people will realize it's not their poor craftsmanship but Dremel's poor tools and start to put some pressure on them - hopefully by purchasing from other companies that make actual quality tools.
Old 11-03-2007, 03:33 PM
MasterAlex

Thanks Paul. I'll see what I can find ...

I have had the router attachment in my hand on 3 separate occations and each time that little voice told me to put it back. Seeing that Fredsterman has the problems that I feared makes me feel better about my decision to pass on the setup. I just want to make my Dremmel as versatile as possible. If I have to purchase another dremmel just to make this table ... well maybe a purpose made router is a better way to go.

Regardless thanks for sharing! Your site is awesome!

-MA
Old 11-07-2007, 03:32 AM
irish_lord

There's a company called Proxxon that manufactures a good mini router table. They make very high quality stuff, and I imagine (though I haven't looked) that their router table is comprable to another dremmel and table. It definitly shouldn't be more than a real router and table.

Oh, and they also make roto tools, maybe better than Dremel, but I don't know. I would love to have a full line up of their tools... lathes, saws, drill presses etc. Mmm...

I just checked on www.minicrafttools.com , and the router table is $190 and the bits are $6 a pop. Or you can get a box of 10 bits for $30. So a bit more than a dremmel, but it'll probably last longer.
Old 11-11-2007, 02:54 AM
CafeenMan

MasterAlex - Plunge bases for routers are by nature going to have more slop than a fixed base. The router attachment for the dremel isn't as rigid as I'd like but I can get it to work with reasonable precision.

When you mount it in a table be sure the bit is inserted into the Dremel as far as possible and then pull it out about 1/16" so you can pop it loose from the collet when you want to remove it. By having the bit in farther any run out or slop is minimized.
Old 11-11-2007, 04:39 PM
jollyroger
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the design. I just make make one. At this moment I'm planning to set up a building room in my rather small basement (11'X10'). I plan to use the Simpson "Strong Tie" home project connectors. They make a wide variety of metal construction connectors which cover everything from decks to hurricane and earthquake proofing as well as workbench connector plates. I was thinking about using 2X2 for the table frame, but 2X4 will be much sturdier. I also have a hollow core door that I will need to rip to 24" as space is a big concern . Since the basement is over 60 years old, I will need to paint the floor, probably use an epoxy type paint, but I suppose a good floor paint will work ok. IF I can maintain a correct humidity I will store my balsa stock, but a good coat of UGL Drylock may be needed as well.
Anyway If I can just get my table built it will be a good start. I can then move all my tools and other supplies out of my bedroom where they have been used for 10 years.
cheers Jollyroger
Old 11-19-2007, 05:40 PM
Frasco

ORIGINAL: CafeenMan

MasterAlex - I'm using the Dremel MultiPro. Don't know what the model number is.

Fredsterman - I think everyone who has ever used any Dremel attachment has felt your pain and most people probably think it's their fault. Dremel has an excellent reputation because people don't take them to task for the quality of their crappy tools. I'm hoping that eventually people will realize it's not their poor craftsmanship but Dremel's poor tools and start to put some pressure on them - hopefully by purchasing from other companies that make actual quality tools.
Paul see if you can use a trim router, if it fits in the removable plate, you'll have more power and you can even make froth in your coffee with the router and any bit..
Old 12-04-2007, 05:09 PM
MasterAlex

Caffeenman and Frasco

What do you think of this [link=http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=44914]Trim Router at Harbor Freight[/link]?

This might be just what the Dr. Ordered!

-MA
Old 12-06-2007, 09:58 PM
IrishDancerSUE

Great job on the table Paul. Amazing the things you come up with. Impressive as always. :O)