Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Rascal 110 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2003, 06:06 PM
sarg96
My Feedback: (39)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rascal 110 Questions

Just received my Rascal 110 and before I start has anyone already assembled one of these that can tell me if there is any modifications that should be done or any pitfalls I should be aware of before I start glueing things together.

Any helpful info will be greatly appreciated.

sarg96
Old 03-31-2003, 01:39 PM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got about a dozen flights on mine. No problems on assembly. The only reasons I read the instructions was to find which bag had what screws. Very straight forward if your an experienced builder. If not experienced, still no problem. Everything fits perfect. I use a saito 120 in mine. You gotta cut out a big chunk of the firewall for the muffler, but no big deal. I pointed the muffler down. I did modify the tank mounting so I could remove it when necessary. I cut out the bottom of the rear tank mounting former and I used some scrap 1/8" light ply to make another to fit the bottom contour of the fuel tank. Then screw it in on each side with some 1/2" button head servo screws. Then put in some small screw in hooks and used rubber bands to hold the tank in. I do this on many of my planes. Since its mounted inverted you will need a glow driver extension cable. I dont use an on board glow driver. Another guy in our club has one with a magnum 120, it seems to need the on board glow driver. After I had all the holes cut in the cowl, I added some extra 2 oz glass around each hole. The cowl is pretty lite, this was for extra insurance. I have noticed that the wheel pants are cracking a little just fore and aft of the mounting. Will remove them and add extra glass reinforcing there too. I used 48" servo extensions with filters in them, dont know if its needed.
FLYING: YOU'RE GONNA LOVE IT!! Any bad flying habits you learned will be greatly high lighted in front of every one at the field. It is forcing me to use the rudder more for coordinated turns, which is good anyway. It will help you break the yank and bank flying style. It will knife edge from one side of the field to the other effortlessly. Inverted flight all you want. And in a breeze it looks cool to go inverted and throttle back and watch it hang there. All the controll surfaces are very effective. Does the slowest rolls I've ever seen. Will take off with a little less than half throttle. Currently, my favorite plane.
Edwin
Old 04-01-2003, 01:05 PM
Edwin

I forgot to mention this in the earlier post. I lost one of the wing strut screws on a flight. Would be a good idea to check after each flight until you're satisfied they wont loosen up. Lost a motor mount screw this weekend, didnt know it until yesterday. Will replace all my firewall screws with allen cap head, washer, lock washer and a little lock tite. Should do it.
Edwin
Old 04-11-2003, 02:33 AM
Turbodog

Just bought a blue one, I am using a Moki 1.35 in it with a 16x8 prop. Anyone have any suggestions on the servos? Can you get away with standard or will I need high torque? Also if you guys can give me any tips for the first flight...what should I expect?? Thanks
Old 04-11-2003, 11:23 AM
Edwin

I used hitec 545's on elev and rud and 525's on the ailerons mainly cause thats what I had lying around. This is a really low stress flying plane. I would think standards on the ailerons would work fine, but I just cant get out of the habit of using a little stronger on elev and rud for insurance. Just my personal preference.

Did I mention, You're Gonna Love It. On your first flight you will probably only need about 1/2 throttle or less to take off. I'm not familiar with a Moki, but I hear its a real power house. Probably gonna be way overkill power wise. I use pretty wide throws, dont know what is recomended. The struts are functional, dont fly without them. That will be obvious when you assemble it. You will probably notice that it apprears to drag the tail when you turn. This is what I was talking about earlier about coordinated turns with the rudder. It is not tail heavy. Balance is right where they state on the directions. The other guy in the club mixes in about 35% rudder with the aileron. That works, but I think it teaches bad habits. Better to do it yourself. Go up high when you do your first aileron roll, its pretty slow. But I have never seen a more graceful sloooow roll anywhere. Landings are slow, what else can I say. I would wait on flying if you have a 90 deg crosswind. I was not used to a plane that is so responsive. It does exactly what you tell it to do even at slow speeds. Once I got used to it, am able to side slipe in on the cross wind and touch down at just a walking speed, really cool. Practice using that rudder. Makes landings and other maneavers so much easier. Next thing to learn is the tip toe thru the tulips. Touch alternating wheels down the runway on a touch and go. I saw a guy do that many years back and decided I needed to learn how to do that, now I have a plane that can do it. Be carefull with that Moki inverted, you might need to use an on board glow driver. I've not had much success with 2 strokes inverted.
Edwin
Old 04-11-2003, 09:05 PM
Turbodog

Edwin..thanks, I am mounting the Moki sidways with a pitts muffler, I know I will have to cut the cowling up but I'm not real worried about that. I cant wait to fly it.
Old 07-02-2003, 12:36 AM
Turbodog

I am scratching the Moki 1.35...I am thinking about a Enya VT240 twin....any ideas, I created a new thread to discuss this
Old 10-23-2005, 07:41 PM
Bob Laine
My Feedback: (91)

Default RE: Rascal 110 Questions

Hi Sarge, I've got one I've had for a couple of years that I fly with a Zenoah G-38. It flys superb and you can fly it yourself when you come down to the flyin swap meet at "TOPGUN," Sat oct. 29th at top gun field. Talked to AJF-2 who got the Flybaby from you. Bob laine
Old 01-09-2006, 12:41 AM
subarubrat
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have been flying mine for a few months on the Honda GX31 4 stroke gasser. I took a bit of lead in the tail, and the servos and battery are there as well to balance out the bigger engine. The total weight though is still very reasonable for a plane of that size. The oil free exhaust and pleantiful power are all great but the real pay-off is the sound and that low idle.
Old 01-09-2006, 04:11 AM
Darrinc
My Feedback: (5)

We flew one with 5 bricks in it. handled it ok!
Old 05-10-2006, 01:54 PM
YOHH

Hi...At last I had my first flight with my sig 110,what a plane,handled just like my sig 40. The gas engine ,(a MVVS 26 cc) went well,only used quarter throttle most of the time. Had two flights,next time I'll be more daring,rolls,etc H.
If you are reading this Tim,Iam very pleased with it!